CV990
Topic Author

Let Airlines Use The EL AL Example!

Thu Sep 13, 2001 8:52 pm

Hi!

Now that more and more information is comming regarding the terrible tragedy I think it's about time to review all the security procedures of boarding and flying with airlines, EL AL had some really bad moments in the 70's when the PLO hijacked almost "daily" their aircrafts, now it's about time of learning with them, since those times not ONE of their aircrafts had more problems, endeed we need to board much longer than the usual airlines but we do know that when we fly with them we're safe, and also they have agents flying with those planes, I'm sure if anyone tried to hijack a US airline that had agents among the passengers like EL AL probably a lot of this could have been avoided. I never used EL AL before but my brother had dozens of experiences with theem and I tell you those guys are PRO'S.
regards
CV990, the Maserati of the skies!

flyinghighboy

RE: Let Airlines Use The EL AL Example!

Thu Sep 13, 2001 9:00 pm

Well how about Iran Air, putting guards on planes

Thu Sep 13, 2001 9:23 pm

skymarshalls could have been the only possible chance to avoid this unbelievable disaster.

my mother was told once during an El-Al flight that "even if Arafat was onboard, he couldn't do anything"

Many airlines are using now guards in the pax cabin on "risky" flights (for instance SR ZRH-TLV)

chepos

Thu Sep 13, 2001 9:39 pm

I think that we will have to follow El Al's example and avooid any chances of terrorism.
Chepos
Fly the Flag!!!!

Ndebele

Thu Sep 13, 2001 9:40 pm

Sorry if I'm off-topic and become political, but: Why not using the Swiss example? Switzerland doesn't have any enemies (it's the Israeli enemies that force SR to put guards on that TLV-flight), and the cockpit doors are always open, inflight visits are welcome, once I even had the chance to jumpseat during the whole flight! America doesn't need skymarshalls, what America (and, btw, the whole NATO) needs is a better foreign policy.

You may suggest this post for deletion if you want, but still it's my personal opinion. Accept it, or put my name onto your "unrespected users" list.

TCA256

Thu Sep 13, 2001 10:00 pm

Things will be better when some governments will
understand that fighting terrorism should be done
at the roots and not at the top....I do support
the idea of taking some El Al's security schemes
but it's only a temporary solution and thus Ndebele
is right, pointing the fact threats towards a
nation are linked to its political attitudes !!!

No matter what some may say, Ben Laden is considered at this hour as the suspect number one for this big
tragedy, but the question is: which state created Ben
Laden ??? if only a "frankenstein policy" wasn't followed
in Afghanistan and Pakistan, maybe....Look at Hamas
in the occupied territories, who created and funded
this movement at the early beginning (a counter policy to reduce PLO influence in the territories and favour alternatives while the first one was in exile) before seeing the "devilish organization" playing against the rulers ??

TCA256

Thu Sep 13, 2001 10:02 pm

Toda,

why being so aggressive all the time with people
who express other opinions ??

Thu Sep 13, 2001 10:32 pm

Tca 256
il y a des "opinions" qui sont en elles-même constitutives d'agressions, et je me contente de répondre.
selon certains, ce ne sont pas les terroristes ni ceux qui les appuient qu'il faudrait punir, mais Israel qu'il faudrait anéantir...afin de plaire à ben-laden & cie. c'est inadmissible, et de plus complétement stupide.
voilà

c172akula

Thu Sep 13, 2001 10:35 pm

Apparently here in Canada, the government is thinking of implementing 2 Armed and Uniformed RCMP(Mounties) officers on every flight originating in Canada. Plus added police presence in the airports themselves.

CV990
Topic Author

Thu Sep 13, 2001 10:39 pm

Hi!

To Ndebele!

I do understand your point, I also had the oportunity to visit some cockpits in Swissair flights, but what we're talking about is a complete new threat, we'll have now people ready to take the planes and smash them against any place in the world, it can be the Big Ben, the Eiffel Tower, the Berlin Gate, the Belem Tower, the Vatican, the Taj Mahal, anything!!!! Do we really want that from someone that don't give any credit to nothing and just blow something really popular? No! So let's just face the fact that from now on we'll have to tigh more and more security procedures, I'm ready to take that for granted!!!!
regards

TCA256

Thu Sep 13, 2001 10:40 pm

Toda,

Okay, beseder....mais je ne crois pas que l'allemand
exprimait un fait anti-israélien, je pense qu'il s'est
mal exprimé et vu la situation, tout le monde est un
peu sur les nerfs....Ceci dit, si il faisait sciemment
allusion à Israël alors c'est du plus mauvais goût
car Jérusalem n'a rien à voir dans la tragédie !!!

Bien à toi,

TCA256

Thu Sep 13, 2001 10:48 pm

BTW, "Baroukh dayan haemet" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FT

Thu Sep 13, 2001 10:54 pm

With respect to C172Akula's comment about Canadian airports. This morning on my local news (Toronto) a reporter at YYZ approached a flight crew (pilot and f/o) that were accompanied by another gentlemen dressed in the "typical" security guard navy jacket with grey slacks. He confirmed that he was an RCMP officer, and the impression was that he was to accompany the flight.

Thu Sep 13, 2001 11:35 pm

Tca256
je suis dépité, immensément triste et choqué. je n'arrive pas à avaler l'immensité du désastre, il n'y a aucun mot pour décrire ça. alors forcément que quand je lis des saloperies contre les Etats-Unis ou Israel je réagis de façon peut-être plus enflammée que d'habitude. je ne sais pas si tu as vu les tours de tes propres yeux; elles étaient tellement gigantesques, elles contenaient tant de milliers de personnes, je ne peux pas croire qu'il n'en reste rien.
c'est parfois dur de retenir les larmes.
Que serions-nous, nous Européens, sans les Etats-Unis, sans le sacrifice de centaines de milliers de jeunes Américains? Et que serait Israel?! rien, il n'y aurait pas d'Israel sans ce fidèle et UNIQUE allié.
et puis les Américains sont un peuple extraordinaire, j'adore être en Amérique, parmi eux. Il y a tant de préjugés dénigrant en Europe...
c'est pour tout cela que je me sens terriblement meurtri.
salutations

jgardiner

Fri Sep 14, 2001 12:15 am

Putting RCMP (presumably armed) on aircraft right now is over reaction and a bad idea. They do not have any training in tactics and procedures in what is a very difficult environment, namely the aircraft cabin. It is cramped, filled with innocent people, pressurized and 30,00 ft above the ground. Until they have the training there is an equal chance that thay will just make a situation worse.

CV990
Topic Author

Fri Sep 14, 2001 2:43 am

Hi!

Well the EL AL guys had no trainning until they started to do it!!!! I think we're underestimating the potencial of US armed forces, I'm sure it would not be a very big deal to start doing that! At least we know that the terrorists had to find other ways to get the attention.
regards

heavymetal

Fri Sep 14, 2001 2:44 am

I for one am not eager to live in the bunker-like siege state that Israelis live in.

Fri Sep 14, 2001 3:07 am

bunker-like siege in Israel...and what about New York? I can hardly watch TV without feeling tears coming from deep inside

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos