MattNZ
Topic Author

Ansett Comes To A Close, Air NZ Saved By A Hair

Fri Sep 14, 2001 1:05 pm

The protest from Ansett staff comes after Air New Zealand-owned Ansett, Australia's second airline, finally collapsed in the early hours of Friday morning, leaving thousands of staff and passengers stranded.

Administrator Peter Hedge announced at 4am NZT there was insufficient money to keep Ansett Australia, Ansett International and regional airlines Hazelton, Kendell, Skywest and Aeropelican in the air.

Air New Zealand put the airline into the hands of administrators PriceWaterhouseCoopers earlier this week.

"We had been exploring a number of avenues for financing, certainly the government was one, and unfortunately after midnight last night all our avenues were exhausted," Mr Hedge from PriceWaterhouseCoopers said.

The last Ansett flight left Perth late Thursday night and arrived in Melbourne Friday morning. Shocked passengers due to fly Ansett from airports around the country were left trying to work out how to get home.

Meanwhile Air New Zealand is just scraped from the same with the government $330 million cash injection.

RE: Ansett Comes To A Close, Air NZ Saved By A Hair

Fri Sep 14, 2001 1:22 pm

And owing Ansett staff approx $600 million AUD in benefits and pay.

Air New Zealand, take your planes and your staff and fly home. You are no longer welcome in Australia.

mb

jet_guy

Mx5_boy

Fri Sep 14, 2001 1:26 pm

mx5_boy,
I would like to hear your reasons for hating NZ so much?? I have read it in the other post....

The fact is that NZ had NO MONEY to help Ansett survive!!!!

Sam

Fri Sep 14, 2001 1:29 pm

I agree that Air New Zealand is not welcome in Ausralia and that the kiwis should be held responsible for the great loss and hardship that they are now putting on the former Ansett staff.

jet_guy

Fri Sep 14, 2001 1:37 pm

why????????????????????????????????????????!!!

Fri Sep 14, 2001 1:37 pm

Sam,

Air New Zealand has destroyed one of our national Icon's and is attempting to dishoner AN workers entitlements. That is the tip of the iceburg.

Through mismanagement, taking on an airline it had no idea how to run, no monetary support to give AN it has destroyed our once great airline.

Why?

Goodbye Air New Zealand.

mb

Fri Sep 14, 2001 1:46 pm

Ansett was a great and successful airline prior to Air New Zealand taking control,
ANZ has run it into the ground and sacrficed ansett to save itsself. Air New Zealand
replaced ansett's sucesful systems with ANZ's inferior systems, sucking money from
ansett to boost itsself, and ANZ sacked lower and upper senior management and
used Air New Zealnd managers that knew nothing about ansett and its opperation.
Ansett was bigger and better than Air New Zealand.

Air Taiwan

NOT An OZ Vs NZ War!

Fri Sep 14, 2001 2:10 pm

It would be unfair to say that it was all Air New Zealand's fault that Ansett went down. But to be quite honest, if Singapore Airlines took the other half of Ansett instead of Air New Zealand, Ansett wouldn't have been like this today.

I'm not suggesting that Ansett had no problems prior to Air NZ's takeover, but that Singapore Airlines had the abilities to repair it.

Also I can't stress enough that this is not a OZ-NZ war... People in NZ is just like people in Australia! This is about the aviation business, and not ordinary people. But then all the NZers have to realise how hard the grounding of Ansett has and will hurt us. And the fact that the NZ government didn't show the slightest intent to help really didn't help either. So you cannot blame that there are a lot of people in Australia that are directing the anger to New Zealand as a country.

I hope situations improve for cross-tasmans relations.

Jimmy

RE: NOT An OZ Vs NZ War!

Fri Sep 14, 2001 2:18 pm

Are the all the ground crews in sydney and melbourne still refusing to refuel, to provide catering and cleaning and are the three Anz Aircraft still blockaded?

Fri Sep 14, 2001 2:33 pm

Jimmy,

How can the situation improve when so many people who hold Ansett tickets on forward bookings and can't possibly get anywhere? People stranded on holiday? They will know who to blame, they know who the culprits are and they are disgusted.

Air New Zeland OUT!!

mb

Fri Sep 14, 2001 2:39 pm

I agree with you 100% Mx5_boy

Air Taiwan

Fri Sep 14, 2001 2:55 pm

I know, I totally understand what you are saying, Mx5_boy. Don't forget that my favourite airline is Ansett as well. I haven't eaten anything today, just watching Skynews, hoping that some sort of miracle would happend to Ansett...

I feel so useless just watching my favourite airline going down, live...

Jimmy

Fri Sep 14, 2001 3:03 pm

There might be something we can do, that is start a partion with names of people who would be able to donate money. even if it was only a couple of dollars, if most of the people on here do it then we would have a large amount that we could take to the Ansett Pilots Association if they plan to buy it out.

Air Taiwan

Fri Sep 14, 2001 3:09 pm

Count me in!!!!

Jimmy

Fri Sep 14, 2001 3:15 pm

Jimmy,

Word can't really describe how I feel at the moment. Incredibly angry comes to mind. Fearful too for the many Ansett employees who have always made my flights extrordinary. Only those of us who fly AN on a regular basis and have friends working there can begin to imagine how bad these people feel and the incredible love they have for their airline. The devotion that much of AN's employees have for their airline is something that most employers could only dream of.

Even the Administrator has mentioned this.

From one AN fan to another - big hug mate.

Gone. I am going to have a few beers tonight.

**sigh**

mb

Fri Sep 14, 2001 3:31 pm

Our family have four people that worked at ansett, 1 pilot, 2 flight attendants and i engineer.

I feel for all the emplyees that are hurting right now

Fri Sep 14, 2001 3:42 pm

Rob,

I'm sorry to hear that mate. 4 from one family... Jeeze.

mb

Fri Sep 14, 2001 3:48 pm

Thanks Mx5 boy

AJ

Fri Sep 14, 2001 3:50 pm

From me too, unreservedly.
John Howard has promised he will pursue Air New Zealand to pay your entitlements and I wish you the best in a future Ansett, Qantas or Virgin Blue if you choose to go that way.
Cheers.

Air Taiwan

Fri Sep 14, 2001 3:56 pm

*sighs*

*my heart broken into pieces*

Jimmy

9V-SVA

Fri Sep 14, 2001 3:57 pm

To me, Helen Clarke is just a cowardly bitch who is afraid of letting her national airline be bought out.

I really wish that SIA bought the other half of Ansett. Ansett would be bigger and stronger, and not be broke.

First, the WTC tragedy, and now this.

9V-SVA
9V-SVA | B772ER

F27

Fri Sep 14, 2001 7:42 pm

Why because Ansett was corprately raped by ANZ. Fuel booked to ansett 7 engines for 737 being done on an Ansett account all catering on ansett account and probably many other things all placed including the clearing of a store in LAX with all purchased parts from ansett is the FAT BOY going to swing ABSOLUTELY. Air New Zealand scurge of the pathetic the rapists and pilverers

MattNZ
Topic Author

Sat Sep 15, 2001 10:05 am

Ansett was in finanical trouble when Air NZ bought it so the problem originated in Australia, Air NZ just couldn't sustain or repair the state Ansett was in, hence the latest decision.

Don't worry like Ansett, Air NZ isn't in a great position either. They have aging aircraft and their inflight service is slipping along with the aging interiors ie. PTV's. It could take another 5 years for Air NZ to recover from this and the future isn't looking to bright in that respect.

How can Air NZ compete with new A380's from Qantas, I wonder, compared to Air NZ's 733/762/763.

Sat Sep 15, 2001 3:56 pm

I am not (very) angry with ANZ not being able to keep ansett going. It is the way they have treated their loyal staff and passenger. Not even a days warning.

That is just cruel.

Plus the 'reports of ansett stripping' if true are disgusting.

People dont go after NZ people just the Air NZ Execs and NZ govt. PLEASE.

Ps. Good on ya Ansett Ground staff that blocked in that 'Weakest Link' Bitch (Helen Clark) That is who she looks like (cornellia frances > Australian Weakest Link).

TG992

Sat Sep 15, 2001 4:09 pm

Unfortunately, people DO 'go after NZ people'.

Some of our passengers were spat on at MEL airport today. It's the most disgusting behaviour I've ever heard of.
-

Air Taiwan

Sat Sep 15, 2001 4:11 pm

Yes I do agree strongly that it has nothing to do with the general public of New Zealand.

Jimmy

'Longreach'

Sat Sep 15, 2001 4:52 pm

I was just reading todays West Australian which had two full pages of a Qantas add to Ansett customers and their staff. The staff add gave them a number to call so Qantas could choose them first if new positions of employment came up.

ALso I think Qantas and staff deserves recognition for the way they have handled this... such as honouring ansett tickets of the people who have already travelled one way, offering 80% discoutns for international travellers, and also the QF staff for striking and supporting AN staff.

I think ANZ owes a large amount of gratitude to QF, who after the way ANZ continually supported SIA's bid and told QF to bugger off, could have walked away from AN customers and staff, but have helped them as best they could.

SInGAPORE_AIR

Sat Sep 15, 2001 5:11 pm

Of course Qantas and Virgin Blue are helping as they are getting full-fare Economy (or in VB's case, full-fare no frills economy) tickets. They are making huge money out of this. But more to the point.. who else would fly those passengers? They're not going to walk, so good on them.
Anyone can fly, only the best Soar.

QFTJT

Sat Sep 15, 2001 5:31 pm

MattNZ

A Air New Zealand 747 took over 100 million dollars worth of Ansett engines days before that company closed, and the fact some air Sheep staff gave themselves bonuses makes me sick. They also took millions of dollars of spares back to NZ.

All Australian hope that Air NZ goes broke and suffers as much as we have. We hope youre country suffers Helen Clark as does your aviation industry. You don't even have a Air force to be transported around in, looks like the new NEW ZEALAND AIRFORCE WILL BE ARMOURED CARS

AIR NEW ZEALANDs FUTURE IN AUSTRALIA IS OVER

QFTJT

SInGAPORE_AIR

Sat Sep 15, 2001 5:58 pm

Sad  Sad  Sad  Sad  Sad  Sad  Sad  Sad  Sad  Sad  Sad  Sad Oh dear

Sat Sep 15, 2001 7:05 pm

Ansett was such a good airline. Wish that it hadn't. wonder way ANZ fans haven't responded.

F27

RE: Ansett Was Raped By ANZ

Sat Sep 15, 2001 7:13 pm

Why because the truth hurts and they only see what they want to see. The Fat boy of ANZ has to come back here at some stage and is typical of course the toilet wipes on this board who work for RAPISTS will be happy because they are still getting paid not like me who has seen a long period of working industry go down the drain. how can Ansett go from 141 million 2 years ago to loosing a billon dollars why because the rapists have booked everything to ansett and stolen all the money. Air New Zealand the scurge shame on you all who are emplyed by them and as far as kiwi bashing goes it is not over yet

Skystar

Sat Sep 15, 2001 7:58 pm

Is there any hope left?

Any hope of the APA and other staff getting a "Ansett Junior"?

Cheers,

Justin

airnewzealand

Sat Sep 15, 2001 8:04 pm

We cannot be bothered, cause we know we will get flamed by anything we say...

Cheers
mikey

Sat Sep 15, 2001 9:05 pm

Airnewzealand,

If you admitted what your airline has done to AN and said you were extremely sorry, perhaps no one would flame you.

I am not going to flame you as you appear to not have justified any of NZ's actions. As sad as it seems, we will seek retributions for what has been to done to one of the worlds oldest and most respected airlines.

What is simply worse is what has happened to AN's staff. Dedicated and responsible to the end.

You should be apologising to them.

mb

TG992

Sat Sep 15, 2001 9:56 pm

airnewzealand,

You're right - there's absolutely no point in continuing while emotion still rules.

I will stop posting and go back to doing my best for Air NZ's customers as I always have done, including those stranded through no fault of their own, due to AN's collapse, and you go back to supporting NZ as you always have and working towards your dream of being cabin crew for them. I think our time is better employed in those pursuits.

-

Sat Sep 15, 2001 11:33 pm

Singapore_air

QF and DJ are not getting full fare for this.

milesrich

Sat Sep 15, 2001 11:49 pm

As someone who has never been "down under," I am not very familiar with the Ansett - Air New Zealand situation, but isn't the failure of Ansett a result of deregulation that is similar to what happened in the US to Braniff, Eastern, Pan Am, and TWA? And isn't the rape of Ansett by Air New Zealand a replay of Frank Lorenzo and Texas Air's rape of EAL?

milesrich

Sat Sep 15, 2001 11:59 pm

As someone who has never been "down under," I am not very familiar with the Ansett - Air New Zealand situation, but isn't the failure of Ansett a result of deregulation that is similar to what happened in the US to Braniff, Eastern, Pan Am, and TWA? And isn't the rape of Ansett by Air New Zealand a replay of Frank Lorenzo and Texas Air's rape of EAL?

WunalaDreaming

Sun Sep 16, 2001 12:24 am

Well Singapore - I hope that you are happy!!

You wanted to 'crack' Australia - you went too far and BROKE it!

Well done and Congratulations.

yyz717

RE: Helen Clark

Sun Sep 16, 2001 12:30 am

Govt handouts/buyouts are passe. The real world requires business to stand on its own feet. AN is a failed company. Local AN line & staff mgmt & unions are primarily to blame.

Name calling of the NZ PM is immature. and disgraceful. Why should NZ tax-payers support an Aussie airline? Even Aussie tax-payers shouldn't.

AN went bankrupt and deserved to die. SIA is one of the world's most profitable airlines....all airlines should be so blessed with such crack mgmt.

Long live SIA and other profitable airlines.

I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

Eddy Cheuk

I Miss Ansett!

Sun Sep 16, 2001 12:40 am

I am sorry to hear this bad news, I miss Ansett Australia, their services were not bad, so I never think she really come to the end. Ansett Australia is collapsed, but how about Ansett New Zealand? Ansett New Zealand still flying?

ryanair

Sun Sep 16, 2001 12:54 am

Yyz717: I've responded to the factual inaccuracies of your posts elsewhere, please have an idea what you're talking about before you post. I broadly agree with where you're coming from in terms of the markets, but get the facts straight first!

Air New Zealand: The reason people are angry at ANZ is their and it has been ANZ management, Ansett's old management (who'd turned it around to USD150 million profit from the well know previous problems) was sacked, mismanged to company to aircraft groundings, massive losses financially and was completely ineffective in defending market share where QF was quite successful. Their "fiddling as Rome burns" has cost 16,000 jobs! That's going to upset people Mickey! (no offence intended).

Then, which really makes me angry, they along with Singapore Airlines asset stripped the comany in the hours before the receivers were called in. These are essential assets, that almost certainly prevent any restart of operations.

Incompetance can cause the afore mentioned, but the later is sheer ry!

Boycott Air New Zealand and Singapore Airlines! I'm very sad the NZ PM got out of Melbourne today, I'm very sad the unions have been prevented from stopping NZ take off. I hope ATC stops them both from taking off tommorrow, I hope the caterers won't cook, I hope the refuellers won't refuel!

SInGAPORE_AIR

Sun Sep 16, 2001 3:43 am

I think a lot of SIA fans around the world are fed up of you lot trying to attack it's management practisces and so called "incompetence". SIA was not in control with ANZ and therefore it cannot control eveything. Brierly has more control ffs! But they can't be blamed.

Well Go Canada. At least we can agree that Ms Clarkey is the WEAKEST LINK, to say the least. Her incompetence has saddenned us enough, she is the weakest link, Goodbye Ms Clark to political oblivion.

Unfortunately, i wholly disagree on your other comments. It seems that it is very immature to call a company a Hannibal Lector.

According to my reliable sources that I have regular contact with, QF and to a certain extent Virgin B, are offering free flights to passengers. Well duh, are you so distant from good PR and business practise??? However, they are charging ANZ sometimes full fare prices in Y Class. That could be most of the time, I will check for you. I'm sure it'll be appreciated.

You people are beginning to make me ask myself why I support ANsett employees.

airnewzealand

Sun Sep 16, 2001 7:56 am

To the people who say i have not once said AirNZ was wrong...Check other posts, cause i have said it was part of there fault!! You guys are just looking at the smaller picture here. It is much wider.
Y dont you blame these people....??
Australia Prime minister...For not loaning cash to be injected into AN.
CASA... For grounding AN and therefore making people loose faith in the airline.
The Unions...For not allowing AirNZ to cut there earnings down, and to cut staff to keep them alive.
The New Zealand Prime minister...For not making a decision sooner.
The Aussie Public...For not flying AN, therefore making them loose money.
Qantas...For not accepting the AirNZ pkan put forward to them.

There are a whole lot of people you can blame, and it is not just NZ's fault. Look above. It is all these peoples fault plus more.

TG992,
You bet i will still persue my dream of becoming cabin crew for AirNZ!! And i will be looking forward to seeing you up there some day..
I totally agree with you last night, and what you said in your post!

Cheers
mikey

yyz717

Sun Sep 16, 2001 8:04 am

Right on AirNewZealand!

There are many to blame. Not just Helen Clark, ANZ, SIA. AN local mgmt, AN unions, AN employees in particular.

Don't blame QANTAS. AN's demise is not their doing. Nor should the Aus govt have bailed AN out: if so, you'd have the ridiculous scenario of VB & QANTAS employees & customers propping up an arch rival thru their taxes.

I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

airnewzealand

Sun Sep 16, 2001 8:24 am

Yes i see where your coming from Yyz717.

Cheers
mikey

OH-LGA

Sun Sep 16, 2001 8:48 am

QANTAS is moving in to help passengers stranded by Ansett's closure... it's quite a shame Ansett closed, I really was a fan of the airline. Anyways, our computer systems at work tell us that United passengers ticketed on UA/AN for travel 14SEP and onward will be honored by QANTAS. That's all the info that I was able to get, they don't have all the info yet. And come to think of it, I don't even have a computer sign-on yet  Smile My trainer looked up the information because I pointed it out to her.

Hopefully Ansett will be able to resume service... what are the chances of this happening?

Kai
Head in the clouds... yet feet planted firmly on the ground.

yyz717

Sun Sep 16, 2001 10:28 am

Why can't the AN unions (flush with cash from years of union dues) hire a mgmt consulting firm to put together an employee buyout proposal? Signifincantly reduced wages in exchange for share options. Relaxed/flexible work rules. Pilots cleaning aircraft, FA's hauling baggage.

Isn't that what unions are for? To help save jobs? A union-led AN employee buyout could work.....with some innovative union leadership. I bet it wont happen.

The Coachman

Sun Sep 16, 2001 12:10 pm

Yyz717,

If you actually kept up with the news, AN employees are consulting with Keilin, who manged the UAL buyout a few years back.

Of course you want to blame the unions, because since you're a "Director of Finance", unions are your worst enemy.

Singapore_Air,

Your reliable sources are not telling you entire story. Free flights are only offered for STRANDED AN pax. Pax like me who were due to fly yesterday had to pay for a ticket that was priced at 33% of FULL-FARE Y class, ie SYD-MEL was in the region of $AUD300 return.

The Coachman
M88, 722, 732, 733, 734, 73G, 73H, 742, 743, 744, 752, 762, 763, 772, 773, 77W, 320, 332, 333, 345, 388, DH8, SF3 - want