heavymetal

New Jet Fuel Inevitable?

Sat Sep 15, 2001 7:19 am

With the tragedy of the past week and the unnerving concept that it really could happen again anywhere jetliners fly, do you think the push will be on to develop a new type of jet fuel that might be engineered to be partially or even completely inflammible until it reaches the engine?

I recall this theory has already been tried to marginal success...

I'm certainly no fuel expert, but something like an additive or chemical that is filtered and expelled before the fuel reaches the combustion area?

I would assume this would add weight to the fuel...but if we can build fly by wire wonders that can carry 600 people, couldn't we build a plane powerful to carry that weight? Wouldn't it be worth our piece of mind?

Your thoughts, comments?

flashmeister

RE: New Jet Fuel Inevitable?

Sat Sep 15, 2001 7:38 am

They tried this some years ago...

The FAA decided to test a new additive that would reduce the explosiveness of the fuel. They got a 720, filled it with dummies, and remote-control flew it into the desert.

It was an abysmal failure.

The resulting fireball was actually bigger than before. True, they reduced the explosiveness (which is already low) of pooled jet fuel, but when aerated or sprayed, it actually increased its flammability.

VC-10

Sat Sep 15, 2001 7:57 am

to develop a new type of jet fuel that might be engineered to be partially or even completely inflammible until it reaches the engine? - I thought it was already inflammable before it reached the engines!! Smile

heavymetal

Sat Sep 15, 2001 7:59 am

sorry i guess i screwed that...oh hell you know what I mean!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

sfointern

Sat Sep 15, 2001 8:04 am

What a screwy language English is...

INFLAMMABLE means the same as flammable!
 Nuts