flashmeister

NPR Report: Hijacker Flight Training Sponsorship

Sat Sep 15, 2001 7:44 am

NPR had a brief sentence in a report about the hijackers that there are questions as to their flight training sponsorship.

NPR said that there are reports that some Saudi Arabian airlines may have sponsored the training of some of the hijackers.

Let me be clear: I am not saying that the Saudi airline industry is responsible.

It would, however, be awful if this was the case. Who else is the aviation industry unknowingly training? That thought is fairly alarming...

Republic

RE: NPR Report: Hijacker Flight Training Sponsorship

Sat Sep 15, 2001 8:06 am

http://www.woai.com/

Unfortunately, as improbable as it seems, true. And better yet, the American taxpayer paid for it.

Joe

KAL_LM

Sat Sep 15, 2001 8:13 am

Yes, that is interesting...
I had heard during lunch that 2(?) of the pilots were former Saudi military pilots who had been through training at the Air War College and Air Force language Instiutue (this is if memory serves correctly)
Regards,
Tom
is that a light at the end of the tunnel or just a train?

flashmeister

Sat Sep 15, 2001 8:52 am

Thanks for posting that, Republic, even though WOAI is hardly what one could call a "good" news organization...

(Disclaimer: WOAI-AM is a radio station here in San Antonio that is notorious for its very right-wing opinionated news reporting... even still referring to Beijing as a city in "Red China")

I know that AFLI (Air Force Lang. Institute) is based here (at Lackland AFB, I believe), but did the Saudi pilots also receive flight training here in San Antonio?