DCA-ROCguy
Topic Author

Question: Ground Override Of Flight Controls?

Tue Sep 18, 2001 12:06 am

Dear Gang,

Last night my dad made a suggestion about which I know little. He argued that the electronics exist to set up a system for backup ground override of a/c controls, similar to the manner of 'smart bombs' used in the Gulf War.

Human pilots would still fly planes, but every a/c would have a TV camera in its nose and an onboard computer which could be directed from the ground to shut down the a/c's controls and fly the aircraft from the ground. Presumably, terrorists would not be able to fly a hijacked a/c. If the plane changed flight plan, ATC could simply override the controls and fly the plane to the nearest military facility in an unpopulated area and land the plane.

One interesting possibility: a/c approaching or departing DCA would be required to be operated this way. Pilots would take over once out of DC region airspace.

I'm not familiar with this technology and don't know if it is feasible; my dad thinks that it is. How practical or feasible is this suggestion? From an electronics or financial point of view?

Jim
Need a new airline paint scheme? Better call Saul! (Bass that is)

767ALLTHEWAY

RE: Question: Ground Override Of Flight Controls?

Tue Sep 18, 2001 12:10 am

But once someone on the ground attacked and got inside thees "control centers" they could crash every aircraft under their "control" thats dangerous.
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear"

goingboeing

Tue Sep 18, 2001 12:13 am

While the technology may exist to create such a system, you can be assured that some system designed to "jam" the ground overrides will be developed just as quickly. Indeed, the same technology could be used to intercept control of an aircraft from the ground for terrorist purposes. Just my opinon.

markk

Tue Sep 18, 2001 12:14 am

I do see a flaw in that. It allows forces outside the plane to control the plane.. I have suggested that systems be developed that would allow the plane to land itself. One pilot told me that the plane must be manually steered to the airport beams before that can be done. Can we not use computers to steer the plane based on GPS data etc? While it may be rough now I don't see why such a system can not be developed in the very near future.. Call it the pilot panic button. Boom all control is switched to a computer and the pilot folds his arms and gives terror boy the finger. Aircraft lands at a military base and you start talking hostage negotiations.

captjetblast

Tue Sep 18, 2001 12:16 am

I agree, GoingBoeing!
Security measures should be taken at airports, and on planes.

Mac

Tue Sep 18, 2001 2:17 am

Good idea in theory. However, if the hijacker inside the aircraft was a type "A" fanatic, he would have the pilot demand that the remote control device be disengaged or he would begin to take out each passenger one by one or blow up the aircraft if his demand was not met.

Mac

markk

Tue Sep 18, 2001 2:20 am

Mac,

I think Tuesdays events have changed the rules a little. The pilot would be more inclined to think this terrorist is going to kill everyone anyway and would not disengage the lock out. Before this incident I would agree with your thoughts here. Now we don't know how a pilot would react.

Mac

Tue Sep 18, 2001 2:23 am

You are probably correct.

Mac

Ralgha

Tue Sep 18, 2001 4:47 am

I don't think you should be speculating on how a pilot would react, because you are not a pilot and have no idea what they would be thinking.
09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0