RJ_Delta
Topic Author

Delta Routes To Middle East

Tue Sep 18, 2001 10:00 am

Hi people:

Delta will still flying to the Cairo, Dubai and Tel Aviv. Last Friday I sent an email to Delta and today they give to me the answer. Of course that these flights will be operated with extreme security. The Delta flights to Cairo, Dubai and Tel Aviv will be served with MD-11.

Regards from Santiago, Chile
RJ_Delta.

ContinentalEWR

RE: Delta Routes To Middle East

Tue Sep 18, 2001 10:07 am

I wouldn't bet on it. Tel Aviv may remain (there is always demand for seats to Israel from New York)
but Cairo and Dubai? Most likely these will be axed.

ContinentalEWR

MAH4546

Tue Sep 18, 2001 10:10 am

Guys, just because there are tensions in the Middle East does not mean that DL is going to axe routes. The United Arab Emirates is one of the wealthiest, most secure countries in the Middle East and an ally of the US. There is quite a lot of business demand between the US and Dubai. Ties between the US and Egypt also remain strong. Now, I don't know what the yields are on this route (I would think they would be pretty good, though, mostly thanks to the Dubai extension), but if they are good, JFK-CAI-DXB won't go anywhere.
a.

Tue Sep 18, 2001 10:15 am

Well AA cut TWA's routes from JFK to Cairo and Riyadh a few weeks ago in addition the to discontinuing Tel Aviv service a while back. There's already less capacity in the market, perhaps enough for DL to sustain those routes

RJ_Delta
Topic Author

Tue Sep 18, 2001 10:17 am

ContinentalEWR:

Cairo was dropped by AA/TWA and now the route is served only by Egypt Air. And Dubai is served from US only by Malaysian Airlines with 3 weekly flights.
If Delta decided support the Cairo and Dubai route that indicate that the demand exist.

RJ_Delta.

chepos

Tue Sep 18, 2001 11:04 am

The only way that Delta would keep its Middle Eastern routes is if the are making money and apparently they are because they are apparently keeping the routes.
Chepos
Fly the Flag!!!!

Marco

Tue Sep 18, 2001 12:12 pm

It's really too early to tell, the route is relatively new. I've heard that the loads are so and so, not that great. With the WTC incident last week business travel is way down, even in Dubai. Also, I heard that the JFK-CAI-DXB will be downgraded to a B767-300. Is that true?
Proud to be an Assyrian!