Does The FAA Know What It's Doing?

Thu Sep 20, 2001 1:00 pm

The FAA has forced a couple airlines into bankruptcy and crippled the entire airline industry by grounding flights for days. All VFR flights have been grounded. There must be thousands of small companies who rely on VFR flights from their local airports to keep their business running. I think the FAA is being really slow and as a result the economy suffers. Do you think the FAA is handling this well?

AA737-823

RE: Does The FAA Know What It's Doing?

Thu Sep 20, 2001 1:18 pm

In a word, no.

I just wrote a lot about the FAA in another post, and I won't make anyone read it all again. But I tihnk that they are perhaps the BIGGEST government bureacracy we have in this nation. They're worthless. They- and this has become painfully obvious- aren't protecting us. And then, when this whole thing happens, they come up with totally ridiculous things like, "No one without a ticket through security" and "no knives in secure areas."

Honsetly, those hijackers had plane tickets. They would have made it through. And, no knives? That's dumb. Restaurants now have to use plastic knives. MAYBE- here's an idea- let's just spend the money and put metal detector AT the gates (in addition to where they already are of course) to detect knives and such.

Those are my ideas, anyone is welcome to shoot them down.

Randy

sotomayor

Thu Sep 20, 2001 1:20 pm

This is a national security issue first, therefore I don't think the FAA has the final word.
sotomayor

Thu Sep 20, 2001 3:12 pm

All things considered, I think the FAA has handled this situation well.

FAA has historically been stuck between promoting aviation and ensuring safety standards are met...two goals that often conflict around the dollar. The balance shifted a week ago and FAA has been surprisingly quick to set new rules and restart the system. As complex as the US aviation system is, FAA has done a very good job this past week.

Added x-rays would just be an added cost for air travellers; there should be enough x-rays to reduce this bottleneck, but definitely not one per gate.

It's easy to bash a faceless bureaucracy; indeed, I've done more than my fair share in trying to straighten out the FAA on other issues. But, let's not blame the FAA for airline bankruptcies that were as good as inevitable, due to airline mismanagement and system overcapacity