c72

National Airlines Insane Fares!

Fri Sep 21, 2001 7:19 am

These are insane fares......good for the traveling public though. Is this the end for National??

http://www.nationalairlines.com/itn/index.asp?page=webspecials.asp

milemaster

RE: National Airlines Insane Fares!

Fri Sep 21, 2001 7:25 am

The word is getting around...

I was getting my haircut today and I was mentioning that to my stylist that you can go to LAS r/t from DFW for 89.00. He then told me that the guy before me mentioned the same thing and already bought his ticket.

This was not at an airport salon either.  Laugh out loud

Which raises an interesting question... one could easily steal scissors or razors from the salons scattered around the DFW gate area, I hope this has been considered.

VirginA340

Fri Sep 21, 2001 7:27 am

Looks like National is being desperate. Expect them to go under in 6 months to a year from now.
"FUIMUS"

elal106

Fri Sep 21, 2001 7:54 am

national has been in the "shithouse" for about a year now...they are hanging on a very thin thread....soon to brake

Fri Sep 21, 2001 8:24 am

If I were reading a book about National, I would just be finishing Chapter 6....

MAH4546

Fri Sep 21, 2001 8:55 am

I don't think many people here understand. National IS in trouble, and they face a very murky future, but offering these types of fairs (Miami-San Francisco via Vegas for $99 RT!) will bring them customers during these times, and many of those customers might just realize the value that National provides (and from what I hear, although I've never flown them, National actually provides great services, and thier MIA-LAS flights have very good load factors, though that does not equal profit), and might begin to fly them more often. Who knows, offering these cheap fares right now can be a new beginning for them, though it will not solve all thier troubles.
a.

gocaps16

Fri Sep 21, 2001 9:38 am

It's not just National Airlines, ALL the US airlines have a BIG sale.

But man $100 RT from JFK-LAX, wow.!!!!!!

Kevin/DCA

HyperMike

Fri Sep 21, 2001 9:44 am

Mah4546 is on the nose. Building a loyal customer base with lower fares is a smart idea.

At the same time, if you're going to fly the plane, you might as well fill the seats. Think about this. If you're going to have 100 empty seats on the plane, that is revenue you never got.

Airplane seats are THE most perishable goods out there. Once that aircraft door is closed, any unsold seats are spoiled. If a grocery store sells spoiled milk, they at least run the chance that the customer won't return it, earning a small bit of revenue.

Bob Crandall started this concept at American in the seventies called Yield Management. His thought with SupersAAver fares was to sell more of those unused seats to earn a little more money.

Remember those 100 empty seats on your flight? Why not sell them for $50 each way, brining in an additional $5000 in revenue?

GARUDAROD

Fri Sep 21, 2001 9:48 am

This is a last ditch effort to raise some cash. This has
been done before, think BRANIFF, and others. What
this means is the airline so starved for cash they will do anything to raise some capital. I would suggest you take the trip within the next 2weeks, because beyond
that, NATIONAL will be RIP...
FYI, if anybody watched C-SPAN and the aviation
committee for the cash, AMERICA WEST will be
out of business within 14days if they dont get the
hand out
Cargo doesn't whine, moan, or complain

Fri Sep 21, 2001 5:48 pm

GARUDAROD:
This is not just a last ditch effort, but a great marketing scheme. NBC10 has said stuff about this sale, and other stations have too. just the fact that you have to fly on Tues means that at the most, 14% of the weekly seats could be sold at this fare, and I'm guessing less than that. plus, Tues. is generally a slow day for National, so they can get more revenue this way.