Fri Sep 21, 2001 9:27 am

no, there's no list, but here's my guess:

USAirways
United
Continental

Dazed767

RE: List Of Airlines Going Bankrupt Due To US Attack

Fri Sep 21, 2001 9:32 am

I don't see why AA, UAL, or CO would go bankrupt. Here are my guesses....

National
Pan Am III
Southeast (I haven't really heard anything about them since the attacks)
USAir

767-332ER

Fri Sep 21, 2001 9:32 am

You guys are saying that United and American might go under?

I think the following

US Airways
Vanguard
National
Twinjets...if one fails, work the other one twice as hard!!!

EGFF

Fri Sep 21, 2001 9:39 am

It's a shame that a number(s) of airlines will go under due to US attacks.....
My guesses are:-

1.) Southwest
2.) Vanguard
3.) US Airways
and possibly
4.) Virgin Atlantic
All together or not at all

Fly_ATA

Fri Sep 21, 2001 9:43 am

Where did you get Southwest from ???????? I hardly think so.

United Airline

Fri Sep 21, 2001 9:45 am

Panam 3 is doing ok. So I don't see why it will go bankrupt!

UAL? NO WAY! They have such a large network!

chepos

Fri Sep 21, 2001 9:47 am

Were did you get Southwest from, in the Orlando news the general manager for the airline in the area said that they were doing well and they weren't even going to layoff employees.
Chepos
Fly the Flag!!!!

HyperMike

Fri Sep 21, 2001 9:51 am

You have to realize that both UA and AA are absolutely vulnerable against lawsuits from the families of those who died on the flights that were hijacked.

I'm sure you've heard the term 'ambulance chaser' for the attorneys who chase car accidents. Unfortunately, there are attorneys who chase airplane crashes, too.

goingboeing

Fri Sep 21, 2001 9:55 am

UAL was in some pretty dire straits prior to 9/11. Debt rating was reduced to "junk" status.

EGFF - Southwest??? In your dreams. SWA has enough cash onhand to survive a complete shutdown for over 3 months. They right now have over 1.4 BILLION dollars in cash on hand. If anything, SWA stands to be the biggest US airline by this time next year.

Dazed767

Fri Sep 21, 2001 10:01 am

Well I wasn't sure about PAIII, they only serve 7 cities, and have a handfull of old 727's, I wouldn't want to see them disappear again anyway.

gocaps16

Fri Sep 21, 2001 10:06 am

I think the smaller airline like Vanguard,Spirit, Sun Country, AirTran could possibly go out of business. Howevr, the government won't allow the bigger airlines to go bankrpt since they're gonna give them some money in which they really need it.

Kevin/DCA

Trvlr

RE: List Of Airlines Going Bankrupt Due To US Atta

Fri Sep 21, 2001 10:10 am

AA and UA may go bankrupt if things get even worse, but they cer. They are simply too important to the nation's air transportation system. USAirways may be a bit more "expendable" theoretically, but if they go bankrupt I think the government will prop them up too.

In any case, here are some airlines that I think are in danger of going bankrupt/bust:

USAirways
Vanguard
United (?)
National (bust)
Great Lakes

I haven't formulated opinions for foreign airlines yet.

Aaron G.

AirOne

Fri Sep 21, 2001 10:19 am

What about any of these:

ATA
Alaska Airlines
Great Lakes Airlines
Spirit
National
Sun Country

These if not bankrupt are headed for tough times.

AirOne

MAH4546

Fri Sep 21, 2001 10:22 am

I'm sorry for sounding really rude here, but I know everyone on this board as a good knowledge of aviation, but by this thread it is so obvious that so many have absolutely NO business sense. Southwest Airlines is not going out of business, they are the only major US carrier that is still on track to make a profit and that is not expecting to layoff workers. American Airlines is the largest airline in the world. They will suffer, but survive. Same for UA, second largest. And if you have been paying attention to the new lately, you'd see how AMR Corp. and UAL Corp. are asking for protection against law suits, and will likely get it, since thier planes were used as weapons against thier control. AA and UA will, unless something suddenly changes, not have to worry about lawsuits. Pan Am is also only a small part of a huge and very rich transportation empire, of which thier airline operation is only a very small part of, and thier charter operations for the military make quite a profit for them.
a.

AApilot2b

Fri Sep 21, 2001 11:33 am

Continental, United, and AA are not going bankrupt as of now. Industry analists actually predict that United and American have the greatest chance of surviving do to the nature of their size (Business Week magazine discusses this issue). Phoenix based America West Airlines took the largest losses and may very well be bankrupt in a couple of days if they do not receive some sort of cash infusion. They were already in bad shape before the recent events caused things to go royally bad for them. This is a tough time, but I beleive the airlines will rebound (especially the majors). It is certainly not the first time the industry has taken a hit.

AApilot2b

Fri Sep 21, 2001 11:38 am

Oh! By the way, someone that predicts SouthWest will go bankrupt, obviously has no clue about the industry or any knowledge of "the world's most successful business story." They are the only airline to consistently remain profitable over the last 30 years.

United Airline

Fri Sep 21, 2001 12:21 pm

Will any of them take this chance to take-over another airline? At a low price maybe?

Fri Sep 21, 2001 12:25 pm

EGFF-

Be honest, did you mentioned WN because you knew people would react to it? I can assume you were only joking about WN going under. Smile

VirginA340

Fri Sep 21, 2001 1:27 pm

VS going under!?! What bad crack have you been smoking?

Most likely is UA, AA, US and or CO

Airlines that not go under

SWA; Herb is doing well and he'll keep it that way. Herb has survived the Wright Amendment and AA's Robert Crandall; This is just a walk in the park for them. They'll do just fine. Not bad for a chain smoking biker from NJ  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Jetblue will also do well. Dave is a smart man. He knows what he is doing.
"FUIMUS"

AS737900

Fri Sep 21, 2001 2:00 pm

Regarding AirOne including Alaska in the list of airlines that could go under one must remember that Alaska has a niche market... it IS Alaska's Airline and if you want to go somewhere you will be flying more than 9 times out of 10. Sure it could come upon some hard times with its lower 48 operations but I certainly don't think they will go bust...

As for my opinion on who I think may go under... America West, Vanguard, National (maybe, I wonder how their current promotion is doing...), perhaps US Airways.

kaitakfan

Fri Sep 21, 2001 3:22 pm

its time for America West to kiss its ass goodbye!

srbmod

Fri Sep 21, 2001 4:57 pm

National will be more than likely be the next airline to join Midway on the pile of clipped wings. Vanguard could be next up as well, since they are perhaps the next most financially troubled small carrier. AirTran could be in trouble if the downturn in the industry lasts more than six months. Frontier I think could survive this downturn if it doesn't last more than say a year. The smaller airlines will be the first to go under, followed by at least one of the majors. Among the 10 majors (AA/TWA, UAL, DAL, CO, WN, AWA, AS, U, NWA, ATA), I give U.S. Airways, America West, and ATA the highest probablity amongst the majors for going under. I think about half of the majors will file for Ch. 11 sometime in the next six months as well. These layoffs now number at over 100,000 employees, enough to fully staff another airline or two (major sized airline), and even more projected next week, as Delta announced tonight that there will be layoff announced between Monday and Wednesday of next week. If Delta's laying off people, you know it must be bad. Now if Southwest starts to layoff people (something they have never done in their history, and they are quite proud of it!) then we will definitely know the industry is in really bad shape. And I've haven't even touched Europe, whose airlines will feel some of the similar sting the airlines in the U.S. are now feeling. USA-Europe flights are major flights for many European carriers, so a downturn in Transatlantic travel will hurt these carriers as well. Airlines that you never would have thought would have financial troubles will be having them.

L-188

Fri Sep 21, 2001 5:24 pm

Alaska Airlines is going to be around. The the best of my knowledge the only flight that they are not flying is the ANC-DCA flight for obvious reasons.

What will be interesting with them is to see if Sen Stevens(R-AK) can get them that exception to continue flying Combi aircraft. Elimination of combi aircraft is one of the proposed new security measures.

Needless to say that is also a reccomendation that I don't think will do anything.

They also have a case reserve of about 400 mil. While that doesn't sound like much remember that they are smaller then a lot of other carriers. Also they reportedly have a credit line of 150 million available.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

Fri Sep 21, 2001 6:36 pm

Southwest will get through this fine. Their schedule is far more adaptable to market conditions, they own a huge percentage of their planes, and they have a ton of cash on hand.

teva

Sat Sep 22, 2001 2:03 am

Panic is not a good advisor.
Read this extract from a Ryanair CEO interview:
``The only way to defeat terrorism here is not to be standing there whingeing with your aircraft on the ground looking for subsidies. It's to get out there, with lower fares, and persuade people to travel more often.''

to read the full article:
http://biz.yahoo.com/rf/010921/l21300517_3.html

If airlines CEO do what they have to do, no airline should disapear for this reason. If airlines go bankrupt, of course they will blame the attack instead of their mistakes.
But remember. Airlines have been grounded for 4 days. In one year, you have 365 days. Then, even if I agree that the amounts (loss of revenue + costs) are huge, it is only 1.1 % of the yearly activity !!!!
If airlines do what O'Leary says, to retrieve passengers confidence, YES, they will loose money. But NO, they will NOT be bankrupt !!!!!
Nana.....
Ecoute les orgues, Elles jouent pour toi...C'est le requiem pour un con

John Walton

Sat Sep 22, 2001 2:50 am

For your information Gill Airways was based at Newcastle Airport (NCL - EGNT), which is NOT IN SCOTLAND.

But it is a shame that the Bank of Scotland withdrew their funding, especially seen as Gill Airways saw passenger numbers rise 40% in August 2001, compared with that of August 2000.

Shame.

CRJ 900

RE: List Of Airlines Going Bankrupt Due To US Atta

Sat Sep 22, 2001 3:24 am

I don't see where anyone would get the idea that Alaska Airlines or it's subsidiaries will be gone. They are going to try to work share etc before considering laying off anybody(read that on the employee web page). Our company, AC, has asked the fed's for 4 Bil cdn and has also stated that with that infusion of cash they STILL may have to file for protection.

TimeForFlight

Common Sense, Please

Sat Sep 22, 2001 3:34 am

Let's not be idiots...
1) US Airways has been suffering, however, its not immediately int eh position of going under.
2) Virgin Atlantic doesnt JUST fly to the US. They have a relatively large network and enough backing to keep them afloat.
3) Jetblue might get the nasty end of things. They are small, a new company, and although the owner knows what he is doing, price wars may eventually take them down. Small airlines may not survive, but we're all a bunch of bums who think we have more common sense than we really do. You have no right to judge which airlines will or will not go out of business based, for the most part, on your personal experience with them.

glider

RE: Common Sense, Please

Sat Sep 22, 2001 3:51 am

Another company which has serious problems is Sabena. They had their problems before, but with what happened they also lost lots of money on their cancelled flights to the US (1000000 Euro, they say).
But I hope that Sabena won't go bancrupt; just because its our national carrier.

ZOOMER

RE: Common Sense, Please

Sat Sep 22, 2001 3:52 am

I can't believe some of the c**p I've just read - probably written by guys who are still wetting their beds! For sure some airlines will bite the dust (sadly) but those of you who name AAL, UAL and SWA.....go back to your playpens!

N312RC

Sat Sep 22, 2001 3:57 am

Zoomer..

Just because UAL and AA are big doesnt mean they will survive. Remember Pan Am 1?

Southwest will survive, they have it together.
N/A

Sat Sep 22, 2001 4:02 am

>>American Airlines is the largest airline in the world. They will suffer, but survive. Same for UA, second largest.<<

Weren't Pan Am and TWA the two largest airlines before?

heavymetal

Sat Sep 22, 2001 4:27 am

Extraordinary times require extraordinary measures...

Two weeks ago the thought of spending 5 billion American dollars in direct payments to the airlines to help them pay bills would have been laughable.

Now, it will become reality.