Longterm effects remain open.
In the short term:
- less flights on routes that now have many
- smaller aircraft on routes that now have few flights with large aircraft
- removal of routes that are marginally profitable if at all (some of these may be turned into cargo-only instead).
- more expensive tickets, except on US internal flights where ticketprices may even drop to increase passenger volume
- cancellation of aircraft orders. Fleetreduction and keeping existing aircraft flying longer. Possibly some orders may be changed into orders for smaller aircraft (e.g. 737 instead of 767, A319 instead of A321, etc.).
- layoffs to match the reduced need for staff due to reduced capacity.
- cancellation of all non-essential services and programs (for example KLM has, effective immediate, stopped all IT programs and terminated all contracts with outside consultants).
I wish I were flying