Sunair

Sun Air South Africa To Be Relaunched?

Sat Sep 22, 2001 3:17 am

Hi ppl...

Check this out, http://www.sunair.co.za.

For those of you who don't know, Sun Air used to be a domestic + regional operator here in South Africa, and they went out of business about 2 years ago, if I'm not mistaken.

The livery that they are proposing is similar to the one they had before, just the blue tail is now red and they have a horrible brown stripe.

So, what do you think? From the look of the website, they don't look like they're ready to launch in March 2002.

It's probably just someones dream on a website. We will have to see!

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Louis Vosloo

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Eddy Cuperus

SunAir  Wink/being sarcastic

RE: Sun Air South Africa To Be Relaunched?

Sat Sep 22, 2001 3:25 am

That's an old retouched pic of a Swissair (old colours) DC9-50!

I suspect you're right - someone obviously bought the domain name.

Sunair

Thu Sep 27, 2001 11:52 pm

Dreamers...!

Yossarian

Fri Sep 28, 2001 2:03 am

Perhaps not guys!

There is an airline starting service between Lanseria and Cape Town in March 2002. They will be operating ex-Sun Air DC-9s in J-class only config.

The last I heard was that the two names proposed for the new airline were Sunjet or Sun Air. As far as I can gather, the name and aircraft are about where the connection ends.

Good luck to them!

Sunair

Sat Sep 29, 2001 12:20 am

Yossarian

Thanks for that information. I think it'll be great if they take off, and hope they do.

Although if I were them, I would operate out from JNB, not Lanseria.

(Named after the first Sun Air)

Yossarian

Sat Sep 29, 2001 3:01 pm

I believe they may be operating out of JNB for a short while before moving ops to Lanseria. They obviously believe that the market is there. The airline is aimed at business travellers only really, so I guess they figure there is enough business accessible from Lanseria.

Time will tell.

Sat Sep 29, 2001 3:26 pm

Hmmm, I remember Rodger Foster's bright idea years back to operate ATR42s from FALA to Virginia(? or was it FADN itself?) Lasted all of 6 weeks or so!!

Problem is that if you operate out of FALA, you get all the northern suburbs traffic, which is nice, but you miss out on the connecting international pax from FAJS.

Still, what would I know! Big grin Big grin Big grin

Sun Sep 30, 2001 1:56 am

True Ceilidh. Having only had a South African PPL, and been webmaster to a virtual airline, what would you know?