United Airline
Topic Author

Any 'Round The World' Route For UAL In The Future?

Sun Sep 23, 2001 1:31 pm

Hey guys!

Since HKG-DEL has been suspended, the one and only 'Round the World' route operated by a single carrier, is gone.

The original idea was from PANAM I guess. United took over a large part of Panam and this route has been taken over as well (Correct me if I am wrong).

Will UAL start, or reopen, any kind of 'Round the World' service in the future? Or maybe when the Economy improves and when everything has been sorted out?

Comments?

United Airline
Topic Author

RE: Any 'Round The World' Route For UAL In The Future?

Mon Sep 24, 2001 12:08 pm

This route provides convenient services for people who would like to go around the world........

And it has been restarted not long ago.

Is there a chance that UAL will resume this service in the future? Or perhaps open up another 'Round the World' route?

lutfi

Mon Sep 24, 2001 12:53 pm

No

Mon Sep 24, 2001 1:11 pm

The flight between LHR-DEL-HKG wasn't profitable. UA was planning an ORD-DEL flight with a 747-400, but that is on hold until they get back on their feet following the terrorist attacks two weeks ago.

United Airline
Topic Author

Mon Sep 24, 2001 1:42 pm

What about ANOTHER 'Round the World' Route for UAL? Let's say............ other combinations of cities?

ryu2

Mon Sep 24, 2001 1:46 pm

Maybe if they could fly HKG-LHR, it would work. The UK govt would never allow it though; they've on multiple times denied similar rights to other airlines over the years.

United Airline
Topic Author

Mon Sep 24, 2001 1:51 pm

What about to other European Cities like Frankfurt, Paris etc?

ryu2

Tue Sep 25, 2001 6:52 am

Maybe DXB would work -- they are very liberal in granting rights for routes. United already has a partnership with Emirates, so it would be natural to fly into their hub.

But with the current situation in the Middle East, it probably wouldn't be viable right now.

airzim

Tue Sep 25, 2001 7:22 am

The next round the world airline will be....

Air New Zealand. Shutter to think!

AKL-LAX-LHR-HKG-AKL. Although not the same flight number I'm sure.

Too bad for Wirrway and Anzett and all the NZ haters.

Tue Sep 25, 2001 7:32 am

Don't be surprised to see NW or DL start this route using NRT-BOM as the last leg.

Ryu2

Tue Sep 25, 2001 9:25 am

UA doesn't code share with Emirates anymore.

Cody

Tue Sep 25, 2001 12:55 pm

Who knows??? For real....things change so quickly. Had I told you two weeks ago that UAL would be close to Chapter 11 and would need government help would you have believed it? Ever since Pan Am and Eastern went away I have not let anything in the business surprise me. In all honesty, there is a distinct possibility that Spirit or even TWA could emerge the big winners from this whole catastrophe. You just never know. Far fetched? Maybe, but then again nothing surprises me. I wouldn't be surprised if United dropped every city in Europe.

Tue Sep 25, 2001 1:01 pm

Had I told you two weeks ago that UAL would be close to Chapter 11 and would need government help would you have believed it?

Yes.

VirginA340

Tue Sep 25, 2001 2:36 pm

If UAL does frop every city in Europe then it would change hands a second time from PA-UA-DL? or NWA?

Reminds me of Braniff's South American and Carribean routes that went to EAL and then the whole deal went to AA. If AA drops this then I guess CO will be king of the hill. Maybe DL will be a new competitor? Or will NWA come right in as a potential opportunity?
"FUIMUS"