MAH4546

AA Closing Almost All City Ticket Offices

Tue Sep 25, 2001 10:46 am

American Airlines is closing ALL but seven city ticket offices, including all in Dallas and Chicago. Only three cities will still have them. The ones that will remain open:

New York City - 125 Park
New York City - Columbus Circle
New York City - Paramous, New Jersey

Washington - Capital Hilton Hotel

Miami - downtown Miami; 4th & Biscayne
Miami - downtown Coral Gables; Ponce de Leon Blvd.
Miami - Ft. Lauderdale; Oakland Park

The rest close 26 September.
a.

blink182

RE: AA Closing Almost All City Ticket Offices

Tue Sep 25, 2001 11:38 am

What about London?
rgds,
blink182
Give me a break, I created this username when I was a kid...

Adam84

Tue Sep 25, 2001 11:51 am

Its all about cost cutting and all I can say is every little bit helps.

MAH4546

Tue Sep 25, 2001 11:54 am

London (Picadilly Square) is gone too.
a.

LoneStarMike

Tue Sep 25, 2001 1:23 pm

I read on another forum that the Admiral Clubs were closed at BNA, CLE, DTW, IAH, PHX and HNL effective September 21. Not sure if the closings were temporary or permanent.

LoneStarMike

KKMolokai

Tue Sep 25, 2001 1:40 pm

I was just in HNL yesterday, and was told the HNL Admirals Club is closed for good. I was specifically told that they (AA) gave up their lease on the HNL Admirals Club, and have shut it down. Also, all city ticket offices in HNL have been closed also.

Very Sad.

Needless to say, the flight to and from Hawaii was horribly empty. First Class was nearly half full, and coach, barely a third full.
We are the people of American Airlines. And we know why you fly.

Tue Sep 25, 2001 3:26 pm

Wow, they're closing Admiral's Clubs too. These are private membership clubs. My dad is going to be ticked that they closed the DTW one. It was alway surprisingly busy since AA/TW used to operate nearly 30 flights a day of there.

Dalmd88

Tue Sep 25, 2001 3:45 pm

This is the way to lure passengers back. Close CTOs used by business travelers, close the club room, and stop serving food.

airways

Tue Sep 25, 2001 3:51 pm

When the London city office will close, what about the office in Zurich's city?

Michael
http://airways.ch

srbmod

Tue Sep 25, 2001 4:29 pm

Don't be surprised if other airlines follow suit. Everytime I've walked by American's CTO at Lenox Square in Atlanta, the agents were sitting there looking bored. I think CTOs for the most part are going out because airlines are aiming for more e-ticket sales on their own sites, because that saves the airlines money because they don't have to worry about rent and bills for the retail spaces CTOs are at, and most CTOs are wastes of money, since I never even seen a line at several of Delta's CTOs in Atlanta, in fact the most customers I ever saw in one was three. As for airlines closing their clubs, yet another cost-cutting move since the travellers who tend to use these facilities are business travellers, and business travel has been in decline for most of this year already. Delta hasn't announced any Crown Room closings, but I would not hesistate to say that they will probably close some of them, and share faciltities with other airlines. The cutting of meal service on domestic flights is understandable, since the planes are going out more than half empty, and if you have to throw away that many meals, you're really going to lose your shirt. The other day I heard a comment about airlines cutting back on meals service, the person basically said, "And this is a bad thing?"

Tan Flyr

Tue Sep 25, 2001 10:09 pm

Good Point DALMD-88...I sure as heck hope that the drop my renewal rates next year since I now have fewer opportunities in Admirals clubs. The clubs were supposed to be self sustaining..maybe a few were not.

travatl

Tue Sep 25, 2001 11:11 pm

You people that are "ticked" because airlines are dropping meals, closing CTOs and FF clubs, and getting rid of other perks are being absurd! Don't you understand that many of these carriers are now simply FIGHTING for survival.

Typical passengers....everybody wants something for nothing. When a flight cancels, somebody who just spent $99 for their ticket, can't understand why there's not another readily available aircraft and crew on standby to take over the flight.

This industry, and the industries and economies it impacts which are widespread is about to change dramatically and irreversibly.

travaz

Wed Sep 26, 2001 2:49 am

I think I would be mad too if i [aid a membership fee for a club and they closed. Maybe they can take some of the billions from the us govt and refurnish the clubs

trintocan

Thu Sep 27, 2001 7:09 pm

Does anybody know if the AA office in POS (in the city at Independence Square) has been closed? I am not there in T&T now.

Trintocan.
Hop to it, fly for life!

MAH4546

Thu Sep 27, 2001 11:27 pm

Guys, every single one is closing except certain locations in Miami, Washington, and New York City.
a.