MAH4546

JetBlue To Look At Bullet Proof Doors; 3x Security

Thu Sep 27, 2001 11:17 am

Miami's FOX news affiliate reports jetBlue is considering placing solid, bullet-proof doors on thier entire A320 fleet. Also, at FLL and other airports, jetBlue is taking an extra step were all passengers must go through three seperate ID secuirty checkpoints. jetBlue is the #4 carrier on America's most traveled airline route, Miami-New York, and the #1 carrier between Ft. Lauderdale and JFK, and will continue with plans to reach 8 daily flights between FLL and JFK by mid-December, the 7th to be added on 1 November. Another move by jetBlue that puts them yet another step ahead of the game.
a.

RE: JetBlue To Look At Bullet Proof Doors; 3x Security

Thu Sep 27, 2001 11:23 am

Maybe Dave Neeleman didn't notice, but there weren't any guns involved in the last incident.

MAH4546

Thu Sep 27, 2001 11:33 am

B747-337M, come on, tell that to El Al, who has had bullet-proof cockpit doors on thier whole fleet for a very long time. And who is to say a highjacker won't bring a gun on board (and don't tell me airport secuirty will notice it, because they may not)? Plus, bullet proof doors also keep hijackers out of the cockpit. Unlike the week, standard doors right now, they can't be opened by force ("stabbing" the door, ramming into it, etc., etc.).
a.

Thu Sep 27, 2001 11:45 am

Unlike the week, standard doors right now, they can't be opened by force ("stabbing" the door, ramming into it, etc., etc.).

Umm... I beg to differ on that issue. I've had a lot of experience with "bulletproof" devices and have assisted an airline with a security review dealing with this specific scenario. Basically, a kevlar cockpit door provides protection against bullets and nothing more. El Al uses a completely different armored cockpit system.

Pilot1113

Thu Sep 27, 2001 1:42 pm

Bulletproofing can come from many areas and Kevlar is just one substance.

I thought JetBlue would go the extra mile. This maybe "stupid" according to some, but it's actually brilliant! Another great PR move by Neeleman, plus it does add another layer of security. You can never had enough checks and balances. As we've learned from past events, it's very easy for one guard to miss something.

- Neil Harrison

Thu Sep 27, 2001 1:45 pm

Kevlar is just one substance.

Kevlar is the most logical substance because of its weight and properties. There are others, but none with acceptable characteristics.

You can always go with an armored cockpit though. Does JetBlue really need armored cockpits? I say no, but thats just my opinion.

CPDC10-30

Thu Sep 27, 2001 1:46 pm

For heavens sake we have plexiglass walls to protect city bus drivers...I'm sure we can do even better for our pilots. An immediate retrofit should be done ASAP.

MCOtoATL

Another Good Move By JetBlue

Thu Sep 27, 2001 1:46 pm

First, it's a wonderful PR move. Let's face it, many people are afraid to fly, and if they can show that they are going the extra mile to ensure safety, then they may pick up some passengers (and respect.)

Many pilots agree that a secure cockpit door would help tremendously. I agree that bullet prrofing alone may not be enough, but modeling one's security after El Al is a great thing.

cfalk

Thu Sep 27, 2001 2:04 pm

All aircraft should have armored doors and bulkheads behind the cockpit, and should remain locked as long as the plane has passengers aboard.

Kinda useless having armored doors if they are always open.

Charles
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.