Tom in NO
Topic Author

Northwest Delays Rent/landing Fee Payments To MSP

Sat Sep 29, 2001 12:28 am

Northwest is delaying a $5.5 million payment to the Minneapolis/St. Paul Airport that is due this month. It is also considering delays in payments to other airports. If NW doesn't pay MSP for the remainder of the year, MSP is out $43 million of its $155 million annual operating budget.

I ran this topic the week of the WTC tragedies: the airlines getting bailout money doesn't do a thing if the airports don't get paid, or some sort of financial assistance. To put it another way, if the airport operator doesn't get his money, the airport can't be safely, consequently legally, operated, and, bingo, no more airline service. It's the "trickle-down" theory put into practice.

Tom in NO (at MSY)

PS: For those unfamiliar with airport finance, an airport receives all of its operating income from airlines landing fees, space rental, concessions, parking lots, etc. Airports, by law, cannot receive taxpayer money. In other words, as the airlines, etc, go, so do we.
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

flashmeister

RE: Northwest Delays Rent/landing Fee Payments To MSP

Sat Sep 29, 2001 2:29 am

Tom, is this a universal rule nationwide? I know that many municipalities restrict airport monies, but I didn't realize that this was a federal regulation.

Tom in NO
Topic Author

Sat Sep 29, 2001 3:47 am

I can't quote the exact law, but, yes, federal statute says that airports must be self-supporting, and not from local taxes. I believe some language to this effect is written into various FAA Grant Assurances that the airports give the FAA (when being issued grants).

Likewise, airports can not divert revenue they make into a general municipal or local government operating fund. Airports make and keep their own money.

Every once in a while, LAX is a recent example, airports/government agencies get questioned, and sometimes sued, over allegations of "revenue diversion", that is, using surplus airport revenue to make up shortfalls elsewhere within a government agency.

As an example, within the City of New Orleans (who owns and operates MSY), there are two departments who make up most of the revenues and profits within the City: they are the airport and the Sewer and Water Board. SWB can help out the City, but our revenues and profits stay at the airport.

Tom in NO (at MSY)
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

Tango-Bravo

Sat Sep 29, 2001 8:24 am

Seems only logical and right that fees owed to airports that are in arrears should come "off the top" of any funds received by airlines from government (i.e., taxpayers). Moreover, estimated fees to be owed over the next 12 months plus 10% should be placed into escrow accounts to ensure the airport authorities receive payments due -- also before the airlines receive any of their "bailout" money.

LoneStarMike

Sun Sep 30, 2001 8:49 pm

Looks like NW has gone ahead and paid the fees at MSP, according to this article from the Minneapolis Star-Tribune.

Northwest pays 9.9 million in airport fees
09/29/2001

http://www.startribune.com/stories/1576/721717.html

I wonder if the other airports have also been paid?

LoneStarMike

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos