Adair
Topic Author

Flying In A Cessna.

Sat Sep 29, 2001 2:09 pm

Just a quick question. I will be taking an introductory flight tommorow at a flight school and was wondering what I should expect of my experience on a Cessna. I have never been on one and was wondering how the flight will differ from a jet. Obviously you fly lower etc. I am wondering more about the feeling etc.

Any help would be appreciated.

Ziggy

RE: Flying In A Cessna.

Sat Sep 29, 2001 2:11 pm

Flying in a small aircraft is a whole world different. My first time I was scared, but after a few times I really grew to enjoy it. I was scared that I would fall right through the floor or the engine would quit. But after finding out about the aircraft and how it flies that silenced my fears.

CPDC10-30

Sat Sep 29, 2001 3:17 pm

The noise level will surprise you the first time.

Goldenshield

Sat Sep 29, 2001 3:24 pm

A cessna is a good way to build time. depending on the model you start in, it can be very tame, to a "bully" of sorts.

I like them mainly becuase the 152 and 172 models are low cost to operate, are very reliable, and can make a bad landing something of a non-event (there are exceptions!)

Also, find a good instructor, as that person will be the key to how good of a pilot you become.

gs

usual boilerplate: The regulations were never meant to be tested.
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

rushed

Sat Sep 29, 2001 3:24 pm

Hey dude,
I did my TIF (Trail instructional Flight) a few weeks ago and have had a few lessons since, and i tell you that it is absolutely awesome! you feel everything which is scary at first but then you get used to it and its the best! I fly in a Piper Warrier but im guessing its the same in the cessna.. have fun mate!
travel blogging enthusiast :)

coboeing777

Sat Sep 29, 2001 3:34 pm

It definitely is way different from a jet the first time I flew in a Cessna 172. First of all the accomodations are a bit lacking to say the least. It sure is tight fit. Next, the prop is really loud, even when you are wearing a set of headsets. The weirdest part for me was on takeoff. It felt as if the plane was being pulled up by some ropes on each wing as we rotated. It was almost a floating kind of feeling, but still cool none the less. Another thing that felt a little odd was being in the air for like 5 minutes and looking back and still seeing the runway behind us. I was a bit apprehensive at first but now I love it. In fact I can fly non rev yet I fly more in my friends Cessna 172 than I do any commerical jets.

You'll love it......enjoy!

aduum

Sat Sep 29, 2001 9:44 pm

I am in a C152 at the moment, and soon to be converting to a C172RG. The first few times you might feel a little sick, but don't let that put you off you will get the hang of it sooner or later. I think I have around 40 hours now, 10 hours of that is solo command time. From memory the average flight here in Perth, Western Australia cost me around $150/hour with an instructor, which is $75 US.

Can anyone who does the same type of lessons as above give me a cost of it in the US/hour?

GOT

Sat Sep 29, 2001 10:28 pm

I haven't been in a Cessna but in a Piper. For the first time I really felt that I was flying. It was a completely new feeling, wonderful Smile.

GOT
Just like birdwatching - without having to be so damned quiet!

markk

Sat Sep 29, 2001 10:41 pm

Aduum,

I am flying dual today in a 152 and it is $78.00 an hour.. 172 would be $97.00 an hour.

Mark

aduum

Sat Sep 29, 2001 11:15 pm

Ahh ok thanks Markk, so it is around the same then. Yeah cause people from Oxford University come to train over here, and also some Algerian airline sent over its flight engineers to be fully trained commercial pilots within 3 months, as it was cheaper than giving them redundancies. Due to the WTC event, the federal police have actually questioned and warned the club to be on the look out or something or so the papers say.

Due to all of these foreginers coming here to train, I thought it must have been one of the cheapest places to fly, but the other advantage must be the great weather.

Sat Sep 29, 2001 11:20 pm

I just love being in a C150/152, flying around and just messing around!(  Smile ) You can just make the plane do what ever you want! It kinda feels more like you're bouncing and putt-putting around versus blasting/cruiseing around in an airliner.

Sun Sep 30, 2001 1:43 am

Flying in small airplanes is like a high (no pun intended). Especially when you take your first solo flight. When you lift off on your first solo takeoff, the rush you get is like no other. Flying GA airplanes is awesome, just awesome. The best part is, you feel like you're flying the airplane instead of the airplane flying you. See the post in Tech (I think) about the 152 vs. 172 to learn more.

Sun Sep 30, 2001 1:48 am

Having over 50 hours in the C152 I can tell you that this plane is just great! The feeling that COboeing777 happens usually when you are taking off in crosswind even at a slight angle, it surprised me the first time too. The Cessnas (I'm talking here about the 152 and 172 - i don't know about the others) are very robust plane and quite performant for their class of aircraft. The only 'problem' is the tightness of the cockpit, but you get use to it.

Nicolas

highliner2

Sun Sep 30, 2001 1:56 am

Very easy to fly, very forgiving. I'm flying my first solo Monday here at SIUC in one. I like 'em alot.
Go Cubs!

NiteRider30

Sun Sep 30, 2001 2:01 am

I fly 172s here at CMSU, and it is just incredible. I love it! It really is an incredible rush when you first get in the air on one of these. It'll be a few weeks before I solo, but I can't wait. Good luck to ya!

NiteRider30

jabpilot

Sun Sep 30, 2001 2:46 am

I've flown the 152, 172 and 182RG and prefer any Piper to the Cessnas. Pipers I've flown are the Tomahawk, Warrior, Archer, Dakota, Arrow, Cherokee Six and Seminole and really enjoyed my hours in the Arrow and Six most of all.

Jeff

deltaownsall

Sun Sep 30, 2001 2:50 am

Question- Do they do alot of considerable dropping and rising?

jabpilot

RE: DeltaOwnsAll

Sun Sep 30, 2001 3:00 am

When you are flying in turbulent conditions associated with different weather conditions, Yes... you will feel the "bumps", up/down drafts, wind shear and turbulence more pronounced than in a larger aircraft or jet.

Jeff

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos