cedarjet

What Ever Happened To Family Airlines?

Tue Jul 06, 1999 8:04 am

Remember that name? A couple of years ago they acquired a few 747s (I think -100s) and at least one was painted in full colours, but they never went into service. I think they had a problem getting certified by the FAA cos the start-up money and some of the board were a bit dodgy (this could be libellous but I heard allegations of Family connections). Anyone know anything?
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

Cody

RE: What Ever Happened To Family Airlines?

Tue Jul 06, 1999 9:20 am

I just remember they required flight crew members to pay for their jobs and all those guys (and gals) lost their money. I hated their paint scheme. Didn't it have a baseball cap on the tail?

Tue Jul 06, 1999 5:25 pm

I was wondering where they went also. I was stationed at Norton AFB in San Bernardino, CA where Lockheed leased hangar space to refurbish 747's. I remember seeing the Family Airlines 747 roll out of the hangar with a fresh paint job and then just sit on the flightline for several months. Yes, it was a 747-100. I'm not sure about the baseball cap though. I do remember the paint scheme being very adolescent looking. Hmmmm......

Tue Jul 06, 1999 11:51 pm

Hi-

Their code was F2, whatever that is. Anyways, i gotta find a picture of their paint scheme and find more out about them, on I'll let ya'll know when I do find a picture.

Gotta Go Search!

Jack M

flyCMH

Sat Jul 10, 1999 2:53 am

I have an old Airliners Magazine (winter 1993 issue) with a short story & picture of a Family Airlines B 747-100. At the time they were awaiting DOT approval for their flights. They were supposed to have low-fare high capacity routes out of Las Vegas. The paint sheme was very adolescent as NAL757 pointed out. It had a strange looking, completely red kid w/ just a smiley face and a baseball cap and two stuby arms sticking out. His legs streching down the fusalage forming two red cheatlines. The tail had a section of the American Flag. Black Family Airlines tiltes were painted on the top center of the fusalage. I guess they never got DOT approval to start service, I'm not really sure.