chadshill

Outer Marker?

Mon Oct 01, 2001 2:04 am

Can anyone enlighten me ?

I live directly under the flightpath to MAN and was listening today to a pal`s airband radio - I kept hearing the phrase "Passing the Outer Marker" just as the a/c was directly over where I live...

I`m sure this must have something to do with radar, but can anyone tell me what is the `outer marker`, and is there also an `inner marker` ?

Thanks guys..

christianbothe

RE: Outer Marker?

Mon Oct 01, 2001 2:42 am

Yes, there are outer, middle and inner markers. These are beacons, the outer marker being a Non-directional beacon that could also be used as a navigation fix. When the aircraft passes over the outer marker, about half way through the ILS approach (about 6 miles), the pilot gets a sound and a light going on. The middle marker is about 1 or 2 miles from the runway threshold, and the inner is just a few seconds before touchdown.

So when you reach the outer marker, you know it's about time to get on the glidepath...

Check out this photo: The lights for the markers are the white, red and blue lights at the very left edge of the picture.

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Radek Kletecka

Smile/happy/getting dizzy christian

chadshill

RE: Outer Marker?

Mon Oct 01, 2001 5:11 am

Thanks for the explanation Christian, the six mile mark is about right...

I`m thinking of getting myself an airband radio, will make living `under the marker` that bit more interesting.

Cheers pal.