Mason
Topic Author

Air Transat New Service: SEA-Cancun, A310

Mon Oct 01, 2001 7:29 am

New service for Air Transat. Weekly flights will commence from October through April from SEA to Cancun, Maxico, non-stop using A-310 widebody aircraft. I heard AS was beefing up Mexico service with 737-700s and -900s now in the fleet, from Seattle. Well, a new service is something good in the wake of all the trouble in the airline industry lately. Anyone care to comment?

TOMASKEMPNER

RE: Air Transat New Service: SEA-Cancun, A310

Mon Oct 01, 2001 7:35 am

I would love to see them at Mexico City.,

There are no non-stop flights between MEX and SEA, something rare, considering all the important companies based in Seatle.

The best connection is MEX-SFO-SEA with UA, but still not good.

SEA-CUN great for tourists.

Squigee

Mon Oct 01, 2001 7:40 am

Not bloody likely. Air Transat just had a quarter of a million dollar fine for poor maintanence practices, and have been forced to shut down many of their tourism related businesses, causing thousands of layoffs and a major stock plunge. I think the only thing they will be investing in is a bankruptcy lawyer.

On a side note, the Cabotage laws prevent a canadian airline from running a service that originates in a different country, so I don't think they will be starting a route from SEA, especially when their hub is Montreal.

Lastly, Transat uses 757 and 1011s. With all of the recently mothballed 1011s from Delta, why would they invest in breand new 737s?

Correct me if I'm wrong, please.

Squigee
Someday, we'll look back at this, laugh nervously, and then change the subject.

palebird

Mon Oct 01, 2001 7:45 am

AT flies A310 and A330 aircraft as well as the 1011

pinsent

Mon Oct 01, 2001 7:48 am

Doesn't Transat lease 737's from Virgin? The past 2-3 winters I remember seing a Virgin 737 with Transat painted on it here in Halifax.

Mon Oct 01, 2001 7:53 am

Air Transat SEA-MEX? Are they setting up a base in US as well?

Mon Oct 01, 2001 8:05 am

What they r trying to do is focus on a market that does not know about their reputation. Air Transit in Canada has recently been addressed as the worlds worst airline with dirty maintenance practices. Ever Since there near disaster flt in the middle of the atlantic bookings and shares have dropped to the ultimate low. The FAA and Transport Canada will never grant this small charter the licence for that. Recently Air Transat has been slapped with a quarter million dollar fine from Transport Canada for dirty maintenance practices. They tried fitting parts from different acft to different acft to cut costs. In the last 2 yrs its reported that this small charter which only has about 20 acft in its fleet (mostly consists of the ageing L-1011) had 7 safty violations that they were caught with. In addition the lucky to be-alive passengers from that ill fainted flt r now suing for 50million dollars thats fifty million dollar lawsuit. So I don't really think that anyone will take this outfit real seriously. Air Transit needs to clean up its act.

chrisa330

Mon Oct 01, 2001 8:18 am

AS is Alaskan NOT Air Transat. Canadian airlines are not allowed to operate routes that originate in another country.

skyservice_330

Mon Oct 01, 2001 9:12 am

I hope Air Transat prevails, I have flown with them before and find them to be quite good, shaky in some parts, but generally and overall, a good airline. I wish good luck to all of its employees and the airline itself!

From Canada,
SKYSERVICE_330

PS. Is anyone else getting tired of hearing about how certain forum members hate this airline, not to mention any names, but I am generally tired of hearing it. If you had a bad experience than I am sorry, but get over it for gosh sakes!

MAH4546

Mon Oct 01, 2001 9:31 am

Chrisa330, yes they are. It is called Fifth Freedom rights.

Air Transat's Seattle-Cancun route was announced before the terroirsts attacks (about a week before), so if it will happen or not is unknown. They were also planning Portland-Cancun. In the past, they have flown Buffalo-Punta Cana among other routes.
a.

AF002

Mon Oct 01, 2001 9:32 am

SkyService_330, I totally agree.
I'm tired too of the always complaining users that follow the media's trend of bashing an airline already in a bad situation, specially when those users probably never flown a single flight on that carrier.
I flew TS enough to say that's overall, except the cramped pitch (I'm 6'7"), it's nearly as good as a national carrier (i.e a good TS flight can be vastly superior to a poor AC one). And if Club Transat is available, you'll have more room than the majors for the same price  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

chrisair

Mon Oct 01, 2001 3:10 pm

Never heard of that Portland-Cancun route...That wasn't even rumored. Unless they were planning on suprising us, I'm sure we would have heard some rumors.

Fith freedom rights apply to non-US carriers flying intra-US routes. (Eg. BA PHX-SAN last year)

yka

Mon Oct 01, 2001 3:19 pm

I heard that breathing Mexico City's air for one day is does the same damage as smoking two packs of ciggaretes. Is that true? If so, that is not the sort of place I'd like to spend my holidays.

yyz717

Mon Oct 01, 2001 3:34 pm

There is a loophole (intentional or not) in the US-Canada bilateral that allows Canadian carriers to bid on US-Mexico (for instance) charter series. Also Vice-versa. This is nothing new & has gone on for years.

Canada 3000 has operated numerous charter programs (For Apple Vacations & other) out of ORD, CVG, BUF & others to Mexico & the Caribbean.

Similarly, ATA operated a YYZ-ATH charter series a few years ago with 752's via SNN.

If nothing else, SEA customers will enjoy hot meals on the TS flights to CUN. A novelty for many Americans.
I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

aio86

Mon Oct 01, 2001 3:44 pm

Isn't the term "fifth freedom rights" used on international flights too (ie not in USA) ie Saudi Arabian Air has 5th freedom rights to serve passengers between CDG and FCO on their CDG-FCO-Riyadh flight.

yyz717

Mon Oct 01, 2001 3:57 pm

Yes, there are many examples of 5FR. although perhaps relatively fewer in the US than elsewhere.

Some examples include:
YYZ-JFK on EL AL (hardly convenient with all the security).
YYZ-JFK on PIA (I don't think so!)
ORD-FRA on SIA
Honolulu-Sydney/Melbourne on Air Canada.
YYZ-Havana on LACSA.
NW/UA have huge 5FR authority out of NRT to elsewhere in Asia.

There are many others....

I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

airNondo

Mon Oct 01, 2001 5:03 pm

Yes, it is absolutely true... Portland too.

Air Transat quietly announced flights from SEA-Cancun and from PDX-Cancun. The story was printed in local media... The fact that each is just a weekly flight probably explains why it wasn't well known.

Here's an article with the news...
http://portland.bcentral.com/portland/stories/2001/09/17/story7.html

But as so much has changed in last two weeks, I'm sure these routes are up for reevaluation :-(

flyyul

Air Transam

Tue Oct 02, 2001 7:03 am

Could you please Shutup about Air Transat!!

Its not the world's worst airline, and you may have a personal problem with it, that's fine. But I dont want to hear how you come with some bullshit statement saying "Air Transat was noted as the world's worst airline" because it really is not.

There are so many worse carriers out there......and yes the health of Air Transat is very much important to the Canadian economy..

Mark

chrisair

Tue Oct 02, 2001 9:07 am

I stand corrected...thanks for pointing that out! Now...if I'll be able to shoot it there...I don't know.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos