bobcat

Are There Air Raid Sirens In U.S. Cities?

Wed Oct 03, 2001 11:30 am

Are there air raid sirens in U.S. cities?
If there's another hijacked airliner headed
towards a city, will its citizens get any
sort of warning?(other than TV/radio)

I'm origninally from another country and
I still recall air siren drills when I was a
kid... Don't recall hearing about this
issue in the US...

RE: Are There Air Raid Sirens In U.S. Cities?

Wed Oct 03, 2001 11:32 am

only tornado sirens, i supose those woiuld do

SouthRebels

Wed Oct 03, 2001 11:47 am

I live in the east suburbs of Cleveland, Ohio. In Perry there is the Perry Nuclear Power Plant. There is an emergency siren system in the tri-county area. Its primary function is for emergencies at the PNPP. It's primarily used for tornado alerts (obiviously, since there hasn't been a serious incident at the PNPP, thank God). It would also be used to alert citizens to any other kind of emergency situation, so I am assuming if they were sure a plane was going to crash into this area they might sound the alarm. Though there is no reason they would target something out here, so this is a mute point, but to answer your question, yes, other cities have emergency sirens, I wouldn't call them air raid sirens.

us330

Wed Oct 03, 2001 12:10 pm

Yes. There is a shopping center near my school, and every other wednesday they test the air raid siren. Kind of cool, I guess, but I have just learned to live with it.

TommyBoy

Wed Oct 03, 2001 12:51 pm

San Onofre Nuclear Plant in SoCal has a warning siren that they used to test every week...maybe they still do...I live in Anaheim now and I'm sure we couldn't here it up here so guess we're outa luck if they have to use it! Also when I was a kid growing up in Illinois in the 50's I remember air raid sirens they'd test every week there.

sabbathiel

Wed Oct 03, 2001 1:53 pm

All US cities should still have the civil defense sirens...

palebird

Wed Oct 03, 2001 3:45 pm

I remember living in Edmonton, Alberta as a kid and seeing the big air raid siren in the park. Left over from the 1950's. Probably still there.

tsully

Wed Oct 03, 2001 5:13 pm

No siren of any type in the greater L.A. area that I know of.
I love America. I guess that makes me Bush's poodle, but I'd rather be a dog in New York City than a prince in Riyadh.

rlwynn

Wed Oct 03, 2001 8:40 pm

There are sirens for San Onofre as far north as Dana Point.
I can drive faster than you

contrails

Wed Oct 03, 2001 9:22 pm

There have been sirens in Oklahoma as far back as I can remember, but they've only been used for tornadoes. They can, however, be used for air raid warnings, although I don't think most people would associate the siren with an air raid.
Flying Colors Forever!

SWA TPA

Wed Oct 03, 2001 9:37 pm

We have a siren in Tampa over on Davis Island due to the fact it sits right at the the port of Tampa and they transport ALOT of dangerous chemicals in and out. If they ever had an accident they would sound the siren to alert the folks that live around there to get the heck out of dodge!
I also remember hearing one in Ft.Worth Texas somewhere in the distance during Desert Storm when I was in the Air Force. I was walking back from the chow hall and heard this thing go off somewhere. Talk about scaring a person half to death! Never did find out where that came from or why.
I believe I can fly.....

alitis

Thu Oct 04, 2001 12:24 am

Most cities do. They were recently used in Baltimore a few months ago when a train derailed and caught fire in a tunnel right underneath downtown. There was fear that the car in flames had chemicals in it , however it turned out that it was full of lumber.

fanofjets

Thu Oct 04, 2001 2:23 am

Alitis is correct. Often, at least in smaller communities relying on volunteer help, these sirens are used to alert volunteers that they need to report to the fire & rescue station. Many if not most of these sirens date from the early days of the Cold War (remember "Stop, duck, and cover"?). All television and radio stations are also equipped (a Federal Communications Commission requirement) to broadcast emergency information via the Emergency Alert System. Nowadays, the EAS is used to warn residents of approaching tornados, hurricanes, or other dangerous weather conditions.
The aeroplane has unveiled for us the true face of the earth. -Antoine de Saint-Exupery