Thom@s
Topic Author

Near Crash Between Braathens And SAS.

Wed Oct 03, 2001 5:30 pm

2nd of Oktober, a Braathens aircraft carrying nearly 60 people had to abort landing only 30 m above the ground. The reason was that an SAS aircraft had taxied onto the rwy without permission from the tower. It's said this was a serious mishap.

This summer, I saw a Braathens 737 nearly land on top of a piper cherokee at NCL. He didn't abort the landing untill he was over the tarmac of the rwy.

(forgive me if this has been posted before.)

Thom@s
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"

RE: Near Crash Between Braathens And SAS.

Wed Oct 03, 2001 6:01 pm

Very glad to hear that no serious accident resulted.

As for a 737 nearly landing on top of a Piper Cherokee, I had a similar thing happen to myself in the United States once. In 1997, bright sunny day at Port Columbus International (CMH) I was in a Cessna 152. I was about to depart on Runway 10R and told to 'taxi into position and hold', which I did. I sat there, patiently waiting for my takeoff clearance for about 8 minutes. The 727 that had landed ahead of me had long since cleared the 'active'. Since I heard nothing, I called the tower asking them when I was going to be given permission to leave this airport. 5 seconds later a very panicky voice come over the radio '£$*&@!^& Cessna 53398, cleared for immediate!! takeoff, Rwy 10R there's a 737 behind you!!!!!' That *sswipe in the tower had forgotten about me!

I firewalled the throttle (inasmuch that is posible in a C-152) and climbed as fast as I could. When I made my right turn to exit the pattern I could see the 737 already turning off onto the taxiway heading toward the gates!!

It's interesting, at that time a lot of my pilot friends were reporting a string of hairy incidents at CMH. I don't know where they got their controllers from at the time. Another one that sticks out is the tower asking me to follow a taxiing United 727 from about 150 ft behind it!! Yeah right!!! Ever heard of jet-blast?? Oh well. I hope they've done something about it.

zb74

Thom@s
Topic Author

Thu Oct 04, 2001 7:08 pm

Wow, what an experience zb.

More infon: The Braathens was a b737-500, the SAS a F-50. The f50 taxiied onto the rwy, before turning off again. The 737 was only 2000m away when they noticed it.

over 80 people were in danger during the incident.

Thom@s
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"

heisan67

Thu Oct 04, 2001 8:00 pm

The incident took place in Northern Norway at Harstad/Narvik airport - (EVE/ENEV). The BU flight came from Tromsø (TOS) making a stop at EVE before continueing to Trondheim (TRD).

Thom@s
Topic Author

Mon Oct 15, 2001 9:42 pm

Thanks for adding aditional info Heisan67.

Thom@s

Contact_tower

Tue Oct 16, 2001 2:21 am

The duty controller at ENEV where the incident with BRA/SAS occured is a friend of mine, and it is now known that a SAS F50 entered the active rwy without clearence. SAS supports this, and calls it pilot error.

Thom@s
Topic Author

Tue Oct 16, 2001 9:59 pm

I saw an interview with the atc on the news. He was called a "hero" after the incident. The episode was however scaringly simmilar to the one in Milano.  Sad

Thom@s