airmale

Three PIA Pilots Detained In U.S Refuse Training

Wed Oct 03, 2001 7:45 pm

Three Pakistani pilots sent to the United states for an aircraft simulator course last week, have refused to undergo the training there because of their detention by the FBI to interrogate them as to the purpose of their visit. A foreign office spokesman while confirming the incident said PIA had chosen the pilots for training who apparently offended by the high-handed treatment had informed the airline that they would not like to stay in the U.S and instead prefer to be sent to some European country for the same course, PIA's reaction to the incident is not known Smile

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Chris Sheldon

.....up there with the best!

rapo

RE: Three PIA Pilots Detained In U.S Refuse Training

Wed Oct 03, 2001 8:05 pm

I think right now that U.S. security would err on the side of being over cautious. Given the events of last month, I would rather have this type of security instated rather than the lax security we've had in the past. While I understand the Pakistani pilots' indignation, I can't help but shrug my my shoulders & say "Oh well........"

rapo

Wed Oct 03, 2001 8:33 pm

I can understand those guy's frustrations, and if I were in a similar position I would ask to be transferred somewhere else as well. It is rediculous.

If the FBI wants to investigate those guys, they should have done so when they first applied for their J-1 visas when they were still in Pakistan, where the US embassy could have requested criminal records etc.

To stop them and detain them for questioning like that is total shite. Yes, the US has to be cautious, very much so, but if they are going to prove that they are not in a battle against Islam, they need to be a little more considerate and not treat every single Muslim as a terrorist. Be thorough in your checks, but do not create PR nightmares like this.

In the FBI's defence however, I must say that it is possible that they had gotten their visas well ahead of the 9/11 attacks and that realistically they would not have been able to perform as thorough a background check as in hindsight they should have

jaysit

Wed Oct 03, 2001 9:13 pm

Typical highhandedness of the FBI after the fact.
However, remember that most FBI Agents are under strict orders and aren't expected to think in shades of grey.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

PIAforME

Wed Oct 03, 2001 9:25 pm

Hi Airmaile,

Just curious about the source for your knowledge of this story. Do you know any staff inside PIA or did U read in some newspaper?

Cheers

Kamran Sarwar
PIAforME

fly_emirates

Thu Oct 04, 2001 12:11 am

well,

they were supposed to be questioned when they applied for their f-1 or j-1 visas.. but detaining them is not a wise thing to do. Yes. the USA government is supposed to be more strict.. but not like this.. the investigation must start when applying for the Visas in the embassy in Pakistan. like, the embassy must have confirmed with PIA that it is going to send these specific pilots to a certain part of USA for the purpose the pilots wants to get the VISA..thats the way i think it should have been rather than being detained by FBI

any other thoughts?

mikeymike

Thu Oct 04, 2001 12:19 am

If their visas were processed prior to the events of 9/11 then they may not have been scrutinized as effectively, however,given the heightened security throughout the country,I believe anyone, regardless of race, religion and so on, is open for any type of scrutiny. I also think though, the pilots have a right to change their training location elsewhere!

Greg

Thu Oct 04, 2001 12:41 am

Good for us.
We need to be more diligent in light of events.
As it was mentioned before, some liberties and freedoms will have to be sacrificed in the name of security.
If they don't like it...send 'em packing.

yyz717

Thu Oct 04, 2001 5:33 am

Those selfish, inconsiderate PIA pilots! Don't they know how much Americans are hurting & mourning right now?

If 19 blue eyed blonds blew up Mecca, as a Nordic looking fellow I would expect to be interrogated if I travelled to Saudi Arabia just 3 weeks after such an event!

Holy moly......

I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

airmale

Thu Oct 04, 2001 7:16 am

Theres nothing selfish in what they did, theyre professionals and they felt insulted I can imagine what a drama European or American pilots would've created had they been in a similar position Smile
.....up there with the best!