BlueJet
Topic Author

Had Anyone Flown Kiwi?

Thu Oct 04, 2001 10:37 am

I really wanted to try this airline, but they are gone. Any experiences?

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Torsten Maiwald

lubcha132

RE: Had Anyone Flown Kiwi?

Thu Oct 04, 2001 10:42 am

we flew 'em EWR-FLL or was it PBI

anyway, the food was pretty good, but it was a little cramped. i think the seating was either 2-3 or 3-3, but all i remember is the left side of the plane (the real left) had the 3 seat row. the f/a's were funny too.

exusair

Thu Oct 04, 2001 12:30 pm

I flew Kiwi several times between EWR and MCO. I flew with them during the first 3 months of operation on a 727, former DL by the interior.

I had nothing but great experiences with them. I did not find the seating cramped at all, and I am 6'1. Food was good, staff was extremely friendly.

I miss them and I wish they could have worked things out. They seemed to be mired in a power struggle between the pilot work force and the CEO's.

The 727 was a plentiful and relatively cheap a/c to obtain when they started up.

They should have gone after used MD-80's or 737's, although the 737 was not plentiful on the used market at time of startup, and in the years following.

They had a great presence in ATL, in addition to EWR. They ran out of space to expand in EWR, with CO turning itself around and expanding there.

They had a growing loyal customer base, and the void still hasn't been filled since their heydays.

L1011

Fri Oct 05, 2001 8:19 am

I flew on one of their ex-Eastern 727s from Atlanta to Chicago Midway. Service was friendly and the snack was good, but the interior of the plane was nasty. They had the gray leather seats like the Pan Am Shuttle, but they had black grease on them, and some of them were torn. The windows were hard to see out of, because it looked like someone shook up a can of soda and sprayed it on them. It had hardened, and I couldn't scrape it off. I only flew them once. It was aircraft N8880Z, a B727-225 Adv.

Bob Bradley
Richmond, VA
Fly Eastern's Golden Falcon DC-7B

Fri Oct 05, 2001 8:27 am

Hi, All
What snack items were offered on your Kiwi Flights? I would of given them a try also. They probaly would have done good on GPT-ATL routes, but AirTran picked it up and is doing well.

ahlfors

Fri Oct 05, 2001 10:44 am

I flew Kiwi a few months before they went under SJU-EWR. I do have to day by that time the service had gotten quite dreary. Their seats were patched up with duct tape, and there wasn't even a life vest under my seat (they got a new one from somewhere so they could take off). Food service was non-existent. The FAs were quite professional though.

Thomas
http://www.managair.org

Bobsmuggle

Fri Oct 05, 2001 2:29 pm

Wasn't there a KIWI air that was a discount carrier that ran flights between NZ and AUS? Did they have anything to do with this US airline?