Air Taiwan
Topic Author

Bmi British Midland Affected?

Thu Oct 04, 2001 10:37 pm

Just wondering... On Skynews Australia they just reported that bmi british midland is cutting jobs and routes... willl their US routes been cut?? I'm due to fly them on the CHI-MAN route as part of my Star Alliance Round-the-world at the end of the year...

I'm doing

BNE (AN) SYD (AC) YVR (AC) ORD (BD) MAN (BD) LHR (BD) BCN (SK) CPH (SK) NRT (NH) FUK (NH) KIX (SQ) TPE (TG) BKK (TG) BNE

I hope I get to do all the routes above...

Jimmy

djb77

RE: Bmi British Midland Affected?

Thu Oct 04, 2001 10:58 pm

BMi is cutting its workforce by 600 according to today's papers. Although the airline operates mainly domestic and European flights, it is expecting a down-turn in business due to a drop in passengers that are connecting with other Star Alliance flights at its main airports, Heathrow and Manchester. No doubt we'll see what happens. Almost all the large airlines are cutting back in staff, cutting routes altogether or deploying smaller aircraft on routes so I don't see why BMi should be an exception. BA has done it, Virgin has done it, it's merely a question of time for BMi...

mon330

Thu Oct 04, 2001 11:05 pm

bmi - british midland is cutting 600 jobs and is to ground eight of its aircraft to reduce its fleet to 54 aircraft.

However, on a more hopeful note, FT.com reports that "the airline hopes to avoid cutting any destinations".

I hope that's the case, because I love seeing its A330s at Manchester!

Good luck with your trip. Have fun.

Air Taiwan
Topic Author

Thu Oct 04, 2001 11:13 pm

Yup I've just read the press release on bmi's website... it isn't clear whether there is any destinations to be cut... but then I don't see why the ORD/IAD flights would be cut... I'm hoping to go on this airline BADLY due to the many complements by this forum's members. They only fly in europe so that's why it is quite hard for me to fly them since I live in Australia....

Well lets hope for the best... and if anyone has anything on this pleease let us know as soon as possible...

Jimmy

747firstclass

Thu Oct 04, 2001 11:17 pm

They will be reducing service in europe but no cuts in destinations or trans-atlantic service. As they only fly to ORD and IAD on trans-atlantic service, they will do everything possible to keep those destinations. After all the training etc. that went into them opening these routes they would think twice or three times before axing them. Later if they wanted to reopen transatlantic routes, they would have to go through recertification etc. all over again.

BlueShamu330s

Fri Oct 05, 2001 6:52 am

Air Taiwan

Welcome aboard !!

Rest assured, the transatlantic routes are secure.

BMI's 2 routes have been very very fortunate in only suffering a brief downturn in loads.

Freight makes these services successful, and those loads have remained good.

The service on the 330 is really something. It's great testament to the airline and its service that regular travellers are going out of their way just to travel on BMI. You would be surprised how many people actually fly up from London just to connect with the BMI services ex-MAN. If you're in "The Biz" class, you'll even get your dinner personally prepared for you by an on-board chef !!!

The other benefit is that you fly out of an airport which is large but not overwhelming.

Enjoy your BMI experience !!!!!

Shamu
Busses are bigger and better inside !!!  Smokin cool
So I drive a 4x4. So what?! Tax the a$$ off me for it...oh, you already have... :-(

Air Taiwan
Topic Author

Fri Oct 05, 2001 1:40 pm

Thanks shamu! it's just the overnight in Chicago that worries me.. Or am I thinking to much?

We (and my brother) were going to go transfer only in ORD, but the morning flights which connects to BD is on UA... and my brother doesn't particularly want to fly UA at the moment, so we have to fly from YVR on AC in the afternoon and then overnight in Chicago...

How's AC by the way??

Jimmy  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Fri Oct 05, 2001 4:16 pm

BMI´s will soon have an extra A/C on their hands as the 330 now flying SK901/902 for SAS will be returned ahead of time - as the route is being chopped.

englandair

Sat Oct 06, 2001 12:35 am

KRP-

Any idea when the a/c will be returned by SK?

Will BD keep it, or return it to the lessors?

richcandy

Sat Oct 06, 2001 4:51 am

Hi

Please check with your Travel agent about those Ansett sectors. We in the UK can no longer sell AN as part of the Star Alliance RTW fare.

In all of our cases the first international carrier has said that we can re book our clients on to QF, as long as the tickets were issued before AN was grounded. I think this was about 13th September.