Captain Heard
Topic Author

Best Plane Movies...

Fri Oct 05, 2001 9:09 am

Ok, I'm Vegging out this weekend, and why not with a good movie or two. I have to get my usual dose of ST:Voyager (because the season has finished in AUS) but I might get some 'Plane movies'
What are the best.

I've seen:
'Turbulance'
'Air Force One'
'Passenger 57'

Are there any others?....Decent ones though.
Not the type where I'll be going..
'DAMN IT THATS NOT RIGHT! WHAT FOOL WROTE THIS?!?'

Thanx for your help
Good Day  Big thumbs up
-Cpt

Notar520AC

RE: Best Plane Movies...

Fri Oct 05, 2001 9:11 am

I like Air Force One and the plane parts in Castaway.
BMW - The Ultimate Driving Machine

I Like To Fly

Fri Oct 05, 2001 9:17 am

I like "Airplane," that movie is great! Big thumbs up

Actually my favortie all time movie is "Top Gun." (read my profile for the theme song Big grin)

My other favorite would be "Passener 57." Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Dasa

Fri Oct 05, 2001 9:19 am

How about the original "Airport" based on Arthur Hailey's novel? That's a great movie, and from what I remember, quite accurate too.

America West

Fri Oct 05, 2001 9:52 am

Yes! "Airport" was great!

"Airport 77" It isn't accurate at all but it is certainly very interesting.

"Executive Decision" was a ok (Mostly because Halle Berry was in it Love)

lubcha132

Fri Oct 05, 2001 9:55 am

"Airplane!"! That's all I have to say.

FlagshipAZ

Fri Oct 05, 2001 9:59 am

The High & the Mighty...with John Wayne & a DC-4.
The Flight of the Phoenix...with James Stewart.
Strategic Air Command...again with Jimmy. Plus B-36s & B-47s. Three of my favorite "classic" plane movies. Regards.
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." --Ben Franklin

United_fan

Fri Oct 05, 2001 10:03 am

I like Airport,Skyjacked and the crash sequence in US Marshalls. Also like Eraser with Arnold,whenhe parachutes out ou the 727 and then it turns around to run him down! Also with Arnold-Commando - when he bails out of that Western DC10 on takeoff!
Champagne For My Real Friends,and Real Pain For My Sham Friends

Captain Heard
Topic Author

RE: "Airplane"

Fri Oct 05, 2001 10:11 am

Ok what is it about?
Military / Commercial?

And where can i find it?
Acation / Romance / Commedy / Drama?

Just saves me from looking through the Store for 4 hrs.

Good Day.
-Cpt.

9V-SPK

Fri Oct 05, 2001 10:12 am

Watch Turbulence 2.New film.

SUCKS!

Best Regards

Captain Heard
Topic Author

Fri Oct 05, 2001 10:15 am

Turbulance 2.... what a joke.

I couldn't complain how inaccurate it was because I couldn't stop laughing.

-Cpt

yyz717

Fri Oct 05, 2001 10:20 am

I vote for the original Airport.

I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

FlagshipAZ

RE: "Airplane"

Fri Oct 05, 2001 10:34 am

Definately in the "comedy" category. You will laugh your butt off on this one! This film is a spoof of all "plane movies" before its time. Hope you're not easily offended on its parody of the disco era.  Wink/being sarcastic Regards.
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." --Ben Franklin

jetset

Fri Oct 05, 2001 10:38 am

try to find the "pursuit of db cooper".
i remember seeing it approx 1982 or so.
jetset

American_4275

Fri Oct 05, 2001 10:42 am

THE DELTA FORCE!!!

My FAVORITE movie of all time. It's cheesy as hell but i love it!  Big thumbs up  Big thumbs up  Big thumbs up  Big thumbs up

United_fan

RE: American_4275

Fri Oct 05, 2001 10:47 am

Yeah,I forgot that one. I loved that 707!
Champagne For My Real Friends,and Real Pain For My Sham Friends

Jonathan L

Fri Oct 05, 2001 10:48 am

Yeah, Delta Force has some fantastic 707 shots. Alan Silvestri's music for the movie will drive you nuts, too.  Big grin

I found Airport 1975 and Airport '77 DVDs bundled together at Sam's Club last week for $9 and I just had to pick them up. Big grin

Fri Oct 05, 2001 10:57 am

1. Airport
2. Skyjacked
3. Pushing Tin
4. Die Hard 2
5. Airport 75
6. The Pilot
7. Mayday at 30,000 feet
8. Boeing, Boeing
9. What's Up Doc ( It's not an airplane movie but the
terminal shots at the TWA terminal and the takeoff
footage of the Boeing 707 TWA are great!
10. Fire and Rain ( About the crash of Delta 191)

IMissPiedmont

Fri Oct 05, 2001 10:59 am

"No Highway in the Sky" with James Stewart.
"The High and The Mighty" ditto
"Airport"
"Airplane"
These are 4 starters. Somewhere, in this disaster zone I call my office, I have a list of many more. You might be able to find the first three in the drama section of a good video store, "Airplane!" should be available in the comedy section of any fair store.
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

cv640

Fri Oct 05, 2001 11:14 am

Throw my vote in for Airplane, always great for a good laugh

RP TPA

Fri Oct 05, 2001 11:40 am

Although this isnt really a movie, I liked that Twilight Zone episode with William Shatner and that gremlin on the wing of the plane.

VirginFlyer

Fri Oct 05, 2001 11:56 am

If you're into thrillers, go for Final Destination. I won't ruin the plot for you, but it is based around a plane crash and some unlikely survivors. The movie keeps you on the edge of your seat right throughout. The plane scenes are definitely some of the better ones to come out of the movie industry as of late. Definitely worth a look...
"So powerful is the light of unity that it can illuminate the whole earth." - Bahá'u'lláh

thomasphoto60

Fri Oct 05, 2001 12:05 pm

Capt Heard,

1 Airplane :This is a laugh riot! Absoultley no accuracy or attention to details, and that is the point with this early 80s satire of airplane diaster flicks of the 70s. BTW, do not confuse this movie with its horrible sequel Aiplane 2, avoid this movie like the plague!

2 Airport: Some call this the world's longest commercial for the Boeing 707. Regradless this is (for a movie anyway) a relatively accurate and fun flick to watch, though I beleive that another actor should have played Dean Martin's part.

3 High and the Mighty: A great 50s era aviation diaster flick. Sadly, I have only seen it once when it was aired on a cable network some 10 or so years ago. From what I understand the Wayne (John) estate will not release this movie for distrubition into the video market and will only rarely allow it to be aired on tv. Perhaps my info on this movie is dated, so if anyone else has any updated information of this classic, please feel free to correct me.

Those are my 3 top pics, all others are weak in comparision, in particular any Made for TV Movie that aired on ABC betwen 70-85. Two movies that come to mind that should have been left in the vaults would be:

1 Horror at 37,000 Ft. Starring: Buddy Ebsen (Uncle Jed) William Shatner and Chuck Connors (Rifleman) as well as medicore stars of the late 60s and early 70s. The plot, a 747 (Hollywierd really fell in love with this plane, during the 70s) carrying a coffin is haunted during a flight from LHR and JFK.

2 SST...Death Flight! I'll save the best (or worst in this case).Starring: Lorne Greene (Bonanza), Billy Crystal, and yes even Regis Philbin had a bit role in this garbage. Plot: A US made is SST on its maiden flight from JFK (looks a like LAX to me) to CDG is sabotaged by a disgruntled employee of the plane's maker......well, I let you all guess the rest. Again another movie that should had been left on the editing floor.

Thomas
"Show me the Braniffs"

VapourTrails

Fri Oct 05, 2001 12:34 pm

Pushing Tin with John Cusack, centred around ATC. I'm only quarter the way through watching it, but it's good so far.

There's also some listed here I have not seen yet or heard of so I'll look out for them (thanks for posting this topic!!).

PS. I would love the see movies with Concorde in them, but I've never seen them for sale or hire anywhere?
From Australia. Qantas - Spirit of Australia.

Captain Heard
Topic Author

RE: RP TPA

Fri Oct 05, 2001 12:36 pm

Yeah I saw that one too.
However I saw it when I was younger and didn't understand the whole 'gremlin' thing with war pilots.

However I remeber thinking to myself through the movie..

'Why is a guy in a gorilla suit sitting on the wing?!?'

For a while i though it was a commedy.

-Cpt

Captain Heard
Topic Author

RE: "Train Spotting"

Fri Oct 05, 2001 12:41 pm

Is this about Train Spotting?

I remember somone telling me a while ago that it was actually about Plane Spotting?!? I'm really confused  Nuts

Somone please help me......or I'm not going to be able to sleep tonight!!

-Cpt

bombayhog

Fri Oct 05, 2001 12:41 pm

"Pushing Tin" is great...not only does it have some cool aircraft shots (both interior and exterior), the plot is actually really good...plus you get a bonus in Angelina Jolie. My second favorite airplane movie, next to "Airplane" of course.

/gwl

Captain Heard
Topic Author

RE: I'm Sold!

Fri Oct 05, 2001 12:46 pm

ANGELINA JOLIE!!!!  Love  Love

I am leaving work eary and getting 'Pushing Tin'

Hell.....Planes, ATC, Angelina Jolie. Damn it I'm buying the damn movie!!

-Cpt

lapa_saab340

Sat Oct 06, 2001 12:23 am

VapourTrails,
If you want to see Concorde, then you should watch
Airport '79: The Concorde. The plot itself is silly, I'd say it's the worst of the Airport series, but you'll get to see Concorde plenty, as they hired one from Air France for the movie shoot. As a matter of fact, it happens to be F-BTSC, the one involved in the accident last year  Sad
Give it a try, I'm sure you'll like it, at least for the airplane  Smile You might be amused with the plot as well.

Capn' Heard, I'd recommend against watching "Air Force One"  Smile It's an ok movie, but whoever did the special effects should be shot. You get to see F-15s light the afterburners and disappear as if they were Han Solo's Millenium Falcon going into hyperspace. The 747 scenes are just as bad, when the terrorists storm the cockpit and try to take control of the plane, it skids all over the runway, nearly dragging a wingtip on the ground (and I'd like to know how that landing gear stayed intact...), and then when they finally take control and try to take off, they rotate right on top of a C-5 Galaxy with only a few feet to spare. Can anyone say Hollywood?  Big grin
But if you don't mind the inaccuracies, go for it.

My all time favorite is Airport though. And Airplane! if I'm in the mood for a few good laughs. Great movie!

sudden

Sat Oct 06, 2001 12:41 am

I would say "Free Fall"!
About the 767 that looses all power, due to that they didn't know if they chould count fuel in lbs or kg.
This movie is good cause it's based on a true story.
And the pilots who tryed this in the sim, after it had happen. Did all crash!
Airport is also very good.
When in doubt, flat out!

crank

Sat Oct 06, 2001 2:45 am

I saw a movie a few years ago, it was about a DC-9 crash and all the investigations. I cant remember the title but it was a great movie. Maybe someone could remind me the title??

david_mx

Sat Oct 06, 2001 3:11 am

Once I saw a movie on the Hallmark Channel (Cable) and it was about a rescue that made an Air New Zeland fligth over the pacific of a little plane which lost some instruments. One of the actor was the guy of the "Quantum Leap" series. It was interesting.

Other movies
Airplane!
Air Force One
Airport
Airport 77

David

MH772

Sat Oct 06, 2001 3:17 am

That's an easy question....

1. Top Gun
2. Air Force One
3. Executive Decision

thomasphoto60

Sat Oct 06, 2001 3:29 am

David,

That movie was called 'Mircle Flight'

The plot: A US pilot and his partner (who loses his plane in American Samoa on take off earlier in the movie) are ferrying 2 crop dusters from SFO to SYD. Along the way he loses his several instruments including his RDF. An Air New Zealand pilot on a 767 tries to guide him to AKL.

Actually while there are a lot of errors, this is not to bad of a movie, I rather enjoyed it. From what I understand that this was (loosely) based on a true story.

Some of the worst (aside from the ones that I mentioned earlier in this thread) are some of the ones that came out of Canada a few years back. Most of these are shown on the Hallmark and Family channels. Frankly, I have forgotten the titles of any of these movies. I do remeber one of these flicks, where a plane (I believe an A320) was hit by lightning and as a result kept climbing and could no descend. The answer was to pour water into the nose gear wheel well while being transferred from a helicopter. A very silly movie, I could not stop laughing! Does anyone recall the name of this movie ?

Thomas
"Show me the Braniffs"

N6801

Sat Oct 06, 2001 4:07 am

I highly recommend Airport 75. The screenplay is, of course, rather cheesy. But those airborne scenes of that 747 are fantastic. No computers, no animation, you get a real-life 747 with all its twists and turns.

By the way, I managed to track down a couple of pics of the 747 featured in the movie:

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Richard Silagi

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © AirNikon

Karen Black rules as able-bodied cockpit staff!

Happy viewing!!

DC-10inLB

Sat Oct 06, 2001 4:44 am

A I R P L A N E ! ! ! ! The best movie ever! You gotta love the girlscouts having the bar brawl! hahaha

sharpnfuzzy

Sat Oct 06, 2001 5:10 am

Thomasphoto60: Yeah i saw that movie also.... i can't remeber what it's called but it had to have been the stupidest thing i have ever seen.... filling the wheel well with water.... i wish i had those 2 hours back....

As for other movies I have to say that i like Delta Force a lot, even thogh there are some cheesy things. Executive Decision is good, but only because Steven Segal gets killed in the first 10 minutes, and those F-14s are from VF-103 the Jolly Rogers...

There's some other movies that i saw which are only about the military which were pretty good. I like 'The Final Countdown', where an aircraft carrier is lost in a storm and reappears in 1941, just hours before the attack on Pearl Harbour. I also like 'By Dawn's Early Light', which is a TV movie form 1990, it's about the accidental start of world war 3 and about the crew of a B-52 that has to chose whether to drop the bomb or not. Here's a link to more about it including a trailer http://us.imdb.com/Title?0099197

ROSWELL41

Sat Oct 06, 2001 5:51 am

I remember seeing Titanic on a BA flight from LHR to JFK. It was kind of weird watching that movie on a flight that virtually retraces its path. Not necessarily the best movie though.

Mike

hash

Sat Oct 06, 2001 5:57 am

I have to agree with "Airplane" I just love that film. God knows how many times I have watched it!!

thomasphoto60

Sat Oct 06, 2001 6:07 am

Sharpnfuzzy,

Indeed, I wish I had those 2 hours back as well.

You mentioned 'The Final Countdown'. I really liked that flick. I am not so much of a military buff, but I love modern history and Hollywood's time travel theories, so this movie really fit the bill in 1980.Unfortunely, I have had no luck finding this on video, I was told that while there have quite a few requests for this movie, the studios for whatever reason refuses to realase it to the video market. Does anyone out there have this movie on VHS or DVD ? I have heard that there were a few bootlegged copies floating about.

Thomas
"Show me the Braniffs"

DSMav8r

Sat Oct 06, 2001 7:04 am

My all-time favorite is definetely "The Pilot" with Cliff Robertson. I feel it is the most accurate of all the aviation movies, maybe because Cliff himself is an experienced pilot. I love the scene when one of the North American DC-8s hits turbulence over the Sierra's. The movie itself is very difficult to find on VHS, I have seen a few copies on eBay, but not a bunch.

Number 2 goes to the original "Airport". Besides being in awe at the all-star cast, the movie isn't as accurate as it could have been, but VERY good for the time and even by today's standard's. Burt Lancaster, Dean Martin, Van Heflin, Jacqueline Bisset, Helen Hayes, etc, etc... What a cast! I believe it remains the only airplane-related movie to win Oscar's, I could be wrong though.

Number 3 goes to "A Thousand Heroes", the story of United 232. Charlton Heston is great as usual and it portrays a lot of what happened before, during, and after the crash. But, the drawback is the "cheezy", cheap, TV-movie style. Hollywood could have made that movie better.
To most people, the sky is the limit. To those who love aviation, the sky is home

Tom in NO

Sat Oct 06, 2001 7:12 am

1) Airport (enough already said. Builds up the airport manager in me, thank you)
2) Airplane (I watched it 50 times, and I still laugh)
3) The High and the Mighty
4) I forget the name, but it had Doug McClure as the passenger who flew a propliner when the pilots had food poisoning. Arthur Hailey wrote the book it was based on, "Runway 08" (not the movie title).
5) San Francisco International (corny but cool shots at SFO).
6) Crash or The Ghost of Flight 401 (2 movies here: the one about the crash-Eddie Arnold was the pilot-itself was good; the ghost movie with Ernest Borgnine was kind of whacked). BTW, the book by John Fuller rocks.

Movies to avoid:
1) Die Hard 2 (very unrealistic regarding airport security, tower ops, drain covers on runways-ha, ha, etc)
2) Airport 77 (yeah, like that'll happen)
3) the Concorde version of Airport

Tom in No (at MSY)

PS: Of course, any James Bond movie with aerial scenes work as well, except "A View to a Kill".
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

Boeingfan

Sat Oct 06, 2001 7:19 am

The original "Airport" 1970. Great 707 shots.

trident3

Sat Oct 06, 2001 7:28 am

What about Dr Strangelove? Great B52 /KC135 shots plus the great Peter Sellers.
Watch out for the shots of the B52 flying low level, the shadow it casts on the ground is of a B17!
"You can't fight in here, this is the war room."
"We are the warrior race-Tough men in the toughest sport." Brian Noble, Head Coach, Great Britain Rugby League.

Sat Oct 06, 2001 7:38 am

"Bullit" w/Steve McQueen

At the very end McQueen chases the bad guy across the SFO tarmac at night - Pan Am 707s and PSA 727s taxi right by. The sounds are reals as it gets, screaming jets.

Besides, this movie has one of the best car chases every filmed.

American_4275

Crank

Sat Oct 06, 2001 7:44 am

Perhaps you're talking about Airframe? Don't know if it's out on movie but I read the book a while ago.

American_4275

Sat Oct 06, 2001 8:03 am

Fate is the Hunter (1964).

Cast:
Glenn Ford
Nancy Kwan
Rod Taylor
Suzanne Pleshette

Plot Outline: A man refuses to believe that pilot error caused a fatal crash, and persists in looking for another reason.

http://us.imdb.com/Title?0058091

toady

Sat Oct 06, 2001 8:06 am

I may be hopelessly off track here, but I seem to remember a film about Charles Lindbugh & The Spirit of St Louis. James Stewart starred I believe. I've only seen it once but I think I enjoyed it! Smile

Captain Heard: Uh no; Trainspotting is not about train spotting or plane spotting. It's about heroin addiction.
Damn good film, though. Excellent! Top rate! Not to be missed.

IMissPiedmont

RE: Toady

Sat Oct 06, 2001 11:17 am

That would be named "The Spirit of St Louis". Any airplane movie with James Stewart is a good one. He was a major airplane afficianado and demanded the highest degree of accuracy possible. Even on the "Reindeer" aircraft in No Highway in the Sky. (AKA a Handley Page Halton struggling to be free)
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

DeltaRules

Executive Decision?

Sat Oct 06, 2001 12:08 pm

Executive Decision was pretty good, but they messed up some details of the plane, like there is no lower galley on the 747-200 (to my knowledge), and all the flight manuals say "Boeing 747-400, " when the plane is actually a 747-200.

There are also some F-14 and F-117 sequences if that's your thing.

DeltaRules
A310/319/320/321/333, ARJ, BN2, B722/73S/733/734/735/73G/738/739/744/757/753/767/763/764/777, CR1/2/7/9, DH6, 328, EM2/ERJ/E70/E75/E90, F28/100, J31, L10/12/15, DC9/D93/D94/D95/M80/M88/M90/D10, SF3, SST