European Airways

Fri Oct 05, 2001 5:51 pm

Ok,

I know I'm gonna take a lot of flak and AAA for suggesting this, but I just thought of something amusing.

With all this talk about merging carriers, and several European airlines going belly-up, how about consolidating all of them into one EU mega-carrier sort of like the € (Euro) currency???

The company could be called something like 'EU Airways', but still retain individual national identities, e.g. on the tail, just like the € coins will feature designs from all the 'member states'.

Let's hear your suggestions, comments, insults?!! Big grin

RE: European Airways

Fri Oct 05, 2001 6:13 pm

Come on guys & gals!!!!

Rickster

Fri Oct 05, 2001 6:49 pm

That wouldn´t work because of EU regulations on monopolies and international traffic regulations. And it wouldn´t work because of national traditionalism.

For sure it would make sence to give up the so called "every country needs its homecarrier" status wich is somehow not necessary. For me it would make sense to merge some Airlines. But how? Maybe those who join the same Alliance like SAS/LH/OS. Or somehow regional concentrated
SN/KL/LG
LH/SR/OS
AF/IB/TP/AZ/JP/KM
LO/OK/MA
BA/EI
SAS/AY
etc. etc.....

BR Rickster

SAS As An Example!

Fri Oct 05, 2001 6:54 pm

I agree with Rickster.
Especially small countries don't need their own gobal carrier.

I think the best example is Scandinavian Airlines. One airline for 3 countries. That sounds good.

Rgds,
B737-700

Sat Oct 06, 2001 1:06 am

Interesting.

I've heard suggestions for a 'BeNeLux' carrier.

Rickster, those are some decent combinations of carriers. Perhaps each alliance could carry remnants of its partners on its tail. Though more subtly and tastefully so than the 'Star Alliance' scheme.

Keep the suggestions coming!!!  Big grin