Which Do You Like Better, Takeoffs Or Landings?

Tue Oct 09, 2001 11:05 am

My vote is for Takeoffs. There is something about being
in a tube thrusting itself in the air.

RE: Which Do You Like Better, Takeoffs Or Landings?

Tue Oct 09, 2001 11:07 am

My vote is for landings. Its good to know that you are safely on the ground after being in the air for a while.

lubcha132

Tue Oct 09, 2001 11:07 am

i get too anxious for landings, so takeoffs

mirrodie

Tue Oct 09, 2001 11:10 am

careering down the runway to the point at which you rotate, butt sinking in to the seat, stomach muscles straining as you whisk up and away.....takeoff, anyday!
Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

IHadAPheo

Tue Oct 09, 2001 11:11 am

Takeoffs for sure as N757AT almost said there is something to be said about thrusting your tube into the air
Pray hard but pray with care For the tears that you are crying now Are just your answered prayers

Hepkat

Tue Oct 09, 2001 11:30 am

For me, neither. I especially hate the moments right after take-off when the aircraft makes those sharp turns to the left or right. Ugh...... Whenever I look down at the ground, it always looks as if I'm suspended in mid air, and free-falling towards the ground.

I remember a year ago I took a flight from CPH-VIE, and we had particularly bad weather. It was at night, and was so bad all you could see were dark grey clouds. Well, I was really groggy on lots of wine (it was really bumby and I just wanted to forget everything), and all I remember was we were coming in way too fast. I opened the window, and it was so surreal. You couldn't tell up from down, everything was grey with white diagonal needles coming straight at you. You had no idea where the ground was, and all I kept thinking was, crap, we're coming in too fast, too fast!!! I kept expecting to thump right into the ground and skid onto some highway. You could feel the heavy concentration from the cockpit, and at that moment I started planning my escape (just in case!) and wishing I had cleaned my apartment (nothing worse than dying and having your parents and friends find your apartment looking like a pig sty). That was not a fun flight.

IMissPiedmont

Tue Oct 09, 2001 11:41 am

Ah yes, the days of thrusting tubes into the air. Sigh. Those days have passed for me. Nowadays the tube has to be coaxed into the air and treated gently to increase altitude. But the landing is so nice. That first touch of the gear is still my favourite part.

Innocent
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

fspilot747

Tue Oct 09, 2001 11:42 am

Landings!! Although both takeoffs and landings are great, its just the whole experience of a landing thats so great. Flying low, looking around outside, watching out the window as the plane soars over some airport grass and slowly and hopefully smoothly glides down to the runway. It's just great. I love take-offs too, but I think I'd prefer more landings. I sometimes try to book non-direct flight, so I have a stop over, not only because I love stop-overs, but also because I get two landings and two takeoffs  Big thumbs up.

take care,
FSPilot747

Tue Oct 09, 2001 11:48 am

Both. Actually, I would have to agree with Vegas456 on the landing part. It is good to know that you are safely back on the ground after being in the air for a while.

airplay

Tue Oct 09, 2001 12:02 pm

All I care about is that the number of landings equals the number of takeoffs.

mpdesa

Tue Oct 09, 2001 12:04 pm

I enjoy them equally. I'm amazed everytime such a monster takes off and lands safely.

thomacf

Tue Oct 09, 2001 12:28 pm

I love the landings. All the engine power changes, watching the flaps and spoilers. Then when the planes touches down, hearing and feeling the brakes and reverse thrust.

mirrodie

Tue Oct 09, 2001 12:30 pm

In retrospect, Airplay, that's the best kind of math in my book  Big thumbs up !
Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

airnewzealand

Tue Oct 09, 2001 1:03 pm

Takeoff anyday, though i like it when you are on final approach and you get pushed into your seat again!!

Cheers
mikey

Notar520AC

Tue Oct 09, 2001 1:43 pm

I can't live without both- (literally), I like seeing the flaps and the acceleration during takeoff but the reverse thrust is cool during landing.
BMW - The Ultimate Driving Machine

sudden

Tue Oct 09, 2001 4:46 pm

Takeoffs, anytime, anywhere!
When in doubt, flat out!

Tue Oct 09, 2001 5:48 pm

Depends on what I'm doing in the plane. If I'm a passenger I definitely prefer the takeoff for excitement value.

If I'm PIC I vote difinitely the landing!! You get used to them, but there is definitely more skill involved in setting the bird down in one piece  Smile/happy/getting dizzy To give takeoffs the respect they deserve though, I'll admit there is something magical about reciting that phrase: 'V1......Rotate'  Big thumbs up

zb74

VS744

Tue Oct 09, 2001 6:00 pm

Takeoffs are so much better - hurtling down the runway gaining speed, going faster and faster and then seeing the ground getting further away.

Landings are depressing and nerve wracking - I always think the pilot is flying too fast/slow/high/low/using the flaps too soon etc.

Plus the fact landing is the end of the flight and is depressing because it means you have to wait for your next flight.

Tue Oct 09, 2001 9:46 pm

Takeoff's and landings.
I like both especially when i sit after the wing. It can be heard and felt more there. I also like landings with full thrust reverse.

Dropkick

Tue Oct 09, 2001 9:49 pm

The descent and the landing!

sin777er

Tue Oct 09, 2001 9:52 pm

Descent and Landing! When I land in SIN, it's so interesting because I always guess which one of the islands is really Singapore Island and which part of it.

captjetblast

Try To Achieve As Many Landings As Take Offs

Tue Oct 09, 2001 9:52 pm

Pilots saying.

Turin_airport

Tue Oct 09, 2001 10:23 pm

Hi everybody!
This is my first post in this great forum and I like to begin givin' my impression about this topic. For me both take off and landing are two part of the same pleasure. I think that taking off is always such a challenge, something absolutly no natural and that's the beauty of it. But landing is amazing too, especially when you are on MD-80, with its powerfull reverse on...

Best regards!

Tue Oct 09, 2001 10:33 pm

I am for takeoffs by far since I enjoy being pulled back into my seat by the gravity as the jet accelerates!  Smile

fly_emirates

Tue Oct 09, 2001 10:35 pm

I like both

Smile

every one has its own taste.. i like every single thing..
i like pushback, i like engine starts, i likee taxiing (oh not when its a lot of time) .. my favorite point though is when the captain says for us ,the F/A's :"Cabin Crew, please take positions for take off" its nice..
and i too like the first touch of the landing gear and the sound of the reverse thrust...

hope you all like them

Cathay Pacific

Tue Oct 09, 2001 10:51 pm

definitely landings..........i like the feeling of the wheels touching the ground.......

Smile/happy/getting dizzy Smile/happy/getting dizzy Smile/happy/getting dizzy Cathay Pacific....The Heart of Asia  Smile/happy/getting dizzy Smile/happy/getting dizzy Smile/happy/getting dizzy
cathay pacific, now you're really flying

fritzi

Tue Oct 09, 2001 10:55 pm

I love landings because you see the ground coming closer and closer and then finally you see the runway.

/Fritzi

prebennorholm

Tue Oct 09, 2001 11:01 pm

Better? Take-offs or landings?
I just want to keep the numbers equal.
Always keep your number of landings equal to your number of take-offs

Wed Oct 10, 2001 2:10 am

visually: landings
physically: takeoffs

DaV

Wed Oct 10, 2001 2:28 am

Mirrodie has describe exactly what I feel. So take-off!!!!!! But also during landings when is given full flaps, brakes and rev thrust and the sensation is opposite to take-off!

Wink/being sarcastic  Wink/being sarcastic  Wink/being sarcastic

DaV
Two monologues do not make a dialogue

VapourTrails

Wed Oct 10, 2001 7:31 pm

I prefer takeoffs because you have the whole flight to look forward to, and landings mean it is all over!! I also like the takeoff because you can feel the aircraft starting to lift even before it leaves the ground, and it is such as sense of freedom -- I don't mind paying hundreds of dollars for that experience!!
Landings are OK, but when you can't see the ground coming closer, and how close the aircraft is to landing, sometimes it can be a shock if it's a rough landng and you aren't prepared! I like the reverse thrust on landing -- the louder the better!! My neighbours might not agree with this..  Smile
From Australia. Qantas - Spirit of Australia.

yka

Wed Oct 10, 2001 8:25 pm

I probably like the takeoff more because of the way you are pushed back in your seat and the promise of many hours in the air. Landing are good too but sad since I will soon have to leave the plane and I prefer being in the air to being on the ground.

VgnAtl747

Wed Oct 10, 2001 8:28 pm

The feeling of takeoff is great, however, I vote of takeoff because when you reach landing, your flight is over... no aviation enthuiast wants the flight to end  Smile

~VgnAtl747

-- Long Live VS --
Work Hard. Fly Right. Continental Airlines

JAL

Wed Oct 10, 2001 10:05 pm

My vote goes to takeoff.
Work Hard But Play Harder