What Would Be The Chances..

Thu Oct 11, 2001 10:58 am

hey pilots, or people who're very smart with this stuff, myu friend and i are having an argument, if you open a window at like inflight, let's say up 30,000 feet, what's the chance it'd actually straight crash? he says he wouldn't crash, i say it would, who's right?

Ryefly

RE: What Would Be The Chances..

Thu Oct 11, 2001 11:32 am

Those emegency doors and windows are locked shortly after take off. So it would be impossible to open them at a high altitude. But for the sake of the argument I will bite. I would say there is a 50% chance or greater of a crash. A small hole could expand and rip a large section of the plane apart. However from past expierences some were able to land. Some examples are Aloha Air 737. The roof riped off. There was a United 747 that it's cargo door fell off and riped a large section of the plane apart. It landed safely but some passengers fell out. I remember a DC-10 that crashed after a door failed but I forget the airline at the moment. So to answer you question, your both right. It all depends on the situation and how severe the problem is.

FITPilot

Thu Oct 11, 2001 11:42 am

I think the biggest concern anytime there is depressurization is oxygen. The pilots would need to get there oxygen masks on before they pass out, which does not take long at those altitudes.

flyf15

Thu Oct 11, 2001 11:48 am

For a simple decompression with no structural damage, the aircraft will not crash. Yet, quite often decompressions are caused due to other reasons, such as a cargo door ripping off. These other reasons are what can cause the aircraft to crash.

IMissPiedmont

Thu Oct 11, 2001 11:54 am

As the only windows that open in an aircraft capable of flying at 30000 ft are the cockpit windows, you have nothing to worry about. Besides which you could not possibly open these windows while the aircraft is pressurized.
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.