iwareboy

Why Is It So Expensive To Fly To Colorado?

Fri Oct 12, 2001 5:05 pm

For instance, I can fly UA from SAN-AUS via DEN for $86, but I can never get just SAN-DEN (or COS) for under $238. Currently it's $400+...

RE: Why Is It So Expensive To Fly To Colorado?

Fri Oct 12, 2001 6:53 pm

Simple: WN. Southwest probably has a fare sale going on with $39 fares SAN-AUS or similar.

goingboeing

Fri Oct 12, 2001 11:03 pm

Simple - Southwest doesn't serve Colorado. Of course, you won't hear about low fares as long as they don't serve that state, but as soon as they do, you could expect to hear the "Southwest isn't any lower than the others" argument.

eta unknown

Fri Oct 12, 2001 11:19 pm

Rule of thumb- if you live at a hub city, don't rely on that airline offering cheap fares from it. Therefore, if you wish to fly SAN-DEN, forget about the nonstops, you'll most likely have to endure some inconvenience in the form of a transit- maybe try Delta SAN-SLC-DEN.

Goingboeing is correct- the fact that Southwest doesn't fly there is another reason why the fares are higher.

Fri Oct 12, 2001 11:25 pm

It's also courtesy of our shiny new airport, which tripled landing fees. People who connect in DEN usually don't get screwed because the airlines have to be competitive with airlines that connect in other cities. But watch out if you have DEN on the origin or destination of your ticket.
DEN is a marvel of an airport, but those of us who live in Denver get stung with the bill. I personally would have gladly taken a few more delays a year and save the money, but that's just me.

flashmeister

Sat Oct 13, 2001 12:18 am

How quick Denverites are to criticize Denver International Airport, and then holler for more transatlantic/transpacific service.

I visit Denver quite often. (I was born there, and much of my extended family is there.) DIA is a terrific facility, much, MUCH better than Stapleton was. If DIA was not built, you wouldn't even have a chance at getting DEN-FRA service, not to mention DEN-NRT.

Where near Stapleton could one have built a 16000' runway? Nowhere, unless you wanted to use the Rocky Mountain Arsenal, and there are a legion of environmentalists and government officials ready to shoot you down there, not to mention the NIMBYs who live right there.

The real problem with fares in Denver are that people are used to paying them. United can charge what they want most of the time, and people will pay it. When United can charge exorbitant fares, others can too. Unfortunately, this is the way the market works -- businesses charge prices that the market will bear, and the DEN market is certainly paying out.

coyoteguy

Sat Oct 13, 2001 12:18 am

If you think Colorado has it bad, you should check out North Dakota, my second home state... NW has a virtual death grip on the state, and the cheapest advance purchase from MSP to MOT round trip is never less than $240. Flying time is around an hour. UA express has a few services into the state, but they are almost as bad. MOT and GFK are only served by NW, BIS and FAR are served by NW and UA, and DVL and JMS are only served by UA. The price of monopoly. Memo to Herb: Help North Dakota! MOT, BIS, GFK and FAR could all support a couple of 737s to Midway a day...