hkg_clk

HKG - Europe Flights Affected By War?

Sat Oct 13, 2001 12:09 am

I heard that some flights from HKG to London were diverted last week due to the war? Can anyone confirm this? Where did they have to stop?

Some years ago (perhaps 6 or 7?) when there was also war in Afghanistan, I recall that a number of flights from HKG to London were rerouted and were required to stop in places such as Paris/Frankfurt to refuel. The planes flown back then were essentially the same as present, i.e. 744 (CX, BA), and A340 (VS). VS at one point considered limiting the number of pax so that they could guarantee a non-stop, but I don't think they ever implemented that. Perhaps now there's no need to set such a limit due to the lower loads in the first place!!

See my homepage for a comprehensive guide to spotting and photography at HKG

bluewhite

RE: HKG - Europe Flights Affected By War?

Sat Oct 13, 2001 1:34 pm

I doubt if this will happen as most (if not all) Europe flights head north out of HK, going over exotic places like Urumqi and the Mongolian steppe, before heading west over Siberia.

It also happens to be the most cost-effective and time-efficient route, so why change this......

In the past, they still flew over the Afghan "Panhandle" (the bit that juts east and is about 15 miles wide), although this is definitely not an option now.

BW

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos