doug

RE: Does ATL Need Fifth Runway?

Sat Oct 13, 2001 2:24 am

oh no not at all as a matter of fact I think that ATL can function with one 2000ft runway.

travatl

Sat Oct 13, 2001 2:57 am

Doug...you took the words right out of my mouth.

Not only will Atlanta require the fifth runway....but a sixth isn't out of the question in the future either.

Travis

Sat Oct 13, 2001 3:38 am

Enlighten me as to why Atlanta needs a fifth runway? I think they're doing just fine with four.  Smile

Pendrilsaint

Sat Oct 13, 2001 4:49 am

ATL , as you know, is the busiest airport in the world...Therefore any extra runway would probably be a good thing...would decrease the number of delays...make congestion less of a problem. Surely Atlanta doesnt need the runway as much as say a badly misconstrued airport like O'hare...but it will still help...

deltairlines

Sat Oct 13, 2001 5:05 am

I'm all for it. As Travis said, it will help ease delays, and it will allow expansion once the economy gets back up. Plus, I'm all for having five planes on approach at the same time with me in one of them, quite a site to see three planes landing concurrently with you.

Jeff

Delta777-XXX

Sat Oct 13, 2001 5:33 am

Jeff,

It would only be 3 planes coming in at one time.  Big thumbs up

doug

Sat Oct 13, 2001 6:35 am

go to DFW you can see 4 landings at the same time on a routine basis.

Sat Oct 13, 2001 7:16 am

Cool.

YoungDon

Sat Oct 13, 2001 11:59 am

Hell yeah ATL needs another runway! When I was there this summer, not only was there another plane on approach to one of the 8(R/L) runways, but no sooner had we cleared the runway, a landing 757 whisked past on the runway we had been on like 2 seconds ago.

BUT...
Another runway in Atlanta will not help as much as another runway at O'Hare or LaGuardia would. Of course that is out of the question...

Oh yeah, DeltAirlines, landing with another plane on approach is an experience to say the least.

tu154m

Sat Oct 13, 2001 2:08 pm

Both myself and my wife work at ATL and I cannot tell you how many missed approaches and go-arounds I see on a daily basis. However, the best reason for ATL to get a 5th and maybe 6th runway is to get rid of Hapeville and Riverdale.......what dumps. Atlanta could also use about 6 more lanes on each side of 75, 85 and 285 to ease traffic which is getting worse by the day. 3 lanes just doesn't cut it for a city whose working populous lives on average, 20-40 miles away from downtown. Just a thought!
Steve
CEOs should swim with cement flippers!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos