777kicksass
Topic Author

Heathrow T5 - Ever Going To Happen?

Sun Oct 14, 2001 1:02 am

I think the government better get their act together and approve it so that we don't fall too far behind Paris, Frankfurt, Amsterdam...the list goes on.

If they can't approve it then I think it's time for one of these crazy ideas for new super airports in the Thames estuary!!

GDB

RE: Heathrow T5 - Ever Going To Happen?

Sun Oct 14, 2001 1:36 am

Well T5 has been so absurdly delayed, if they gave the go-ahead tomorrow it would still be needed, even post Sept. 11th.
If go-ahead is given, the anti-LHR groups, who are almost all the very wealthly inhabitants of surrounding areas like Richmond, will fight it in the courts. I wonder how these selfish pricks go on their holidays? I suppose going from Luton or Gatwick is OK because it does not affect them.
For long-term runway capacity, why not re-start the Maplin project, cancelled in 1974. Basically building an airport on a natural sandbank just off the coast of Margate in Essex.

747firstclass

Sun Oct 14, 2001 1:41 am

I also have read, seen and heard that openskies talks between the US and UK will restart the end of Oct. Late next week France and the US will most lilkely conclude and finish openskies talk with the US and possibly even sign the agreement. I am waiting in baited breath to see how the UK responds to all this. This may possibly be the final push that will be needed to give the go ahead for T5 at LHR. Maybe the thought of US and France openskies will out the fear into somebody to give the goahead. We shall see.

OH-LZA

Sun Oct 14, 2001 1:52 am

I wonder who was there first, the wealthy residents or Heathrow, if it was Heathrow these residents should have nothing to complain, it was their choice to move there.

Zulu Alpha

GDB

Sun Oct 14, 2001 3:21 am

There has been an airport at Heathrow for 55 years.
And guess who has paid for extensive sound-proofing of homes in the vicinity?

kaitak

Sun Oct 14, 2001 3:36 am

Yes, it will - be in no doubt about that. Obviously, with the current crisis, the announcement has been delayed, but there will be a T5 at Heathrow and don't be at all surprised if LHR is given a third runway as well; there would be hell to pay of course, but there is actually some space north of the airport.

It would require knocking down a few homes, not that it is a decision that should be taken lightly, but LHR is the most important economic engine in the UK and hopefully, the PM will use the kudos he has built up in the current situation to back this. It would be a great help to the country's major airlines in the growth plans to be able to have a third runway - even a short one (as it would be) of about 7,000'. This would take pressure off the current runways and allow more feeder flights.

Both the airlines and the London Chamber of Commerce have spoken in favour of this.

transswede

Sun Oct 14, 2001 3:39 am

Where can I find an Heathrow runway map that shows the terminals as well?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos