Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

lubcha132
Topic Author

Ever Board From The Right?

Mon Oct 15, 2001 12:54 am

Has anyone boarded a plane from the right side of the plane? (turning left to get to coach)

Josh

pecoua

RE: Ever Board From The Right?

Mon Oct 15, 2001 2:26 am

Once in Deverver Stapleton, United had a gate that you had to board from the right. Gate B17 comes to mind but I can't confirm that. I remember deadheading on a DC-10 and we boarded through door 1R. That was in the first class galley..turned left once inside, and had to walk through FC to get to our coach seats. I remember thinking I would hate to be working this flight, since it was impossible to do a predeparture drink service in first class with everyone boarding through your galley. I t was bizzare.

Mon Oct 15, 2001 2:48 am

I have in a Cessna!
Iain

cba

Mon Oct 15, 2001 2:58 am

Never boarded from the right, but in SNA in 1990, I boarded a UA 757 from the rear. The plane was at the gate tail first, tail pointing right to the windows of the terminal. It was strange. I've never seen that except for at that time.

airbus380

Mon Oct 15, 2001 2:58 am

I have on ASA at ATL.

Mon Oct 15, 2001 3:10 am

I have always boarded from the left, with the exception of one time, I boarded a Northwest MD-82 from the rear stairs. They had people from the exit aisles forward go through the front and those of us in the rear were allowed to go up the rear stairs.

skyhawk

Mon Oct 15, 2001 3:12 am

Back in the "old" days, National had a gate in Miami where a DC-10 quite often had to use R-1 for boarding. I've also boarded from the rear of the aircraft, down in Santo Domingo, where they boarded our Airbus from the front and the rear at the same time-total confusion. Even though people had seat assignments, they usually sat anywhere they wanted to, so if you had a special meal for some reason, it could be very difficult to get it.

ren41

Mon Oct 15, 2001 3:19 am

I boarded from the back-left of an AA 738 at Provenciales(sp?) in Turks and Caicos. It was with stairs, not a gate.

Ren41

ren41

Mon Oct 15, 2001 3:22 am

I meant to say back-right, not left Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Ren41

fly_emirates

Mon Oct 15, 2001 3:49 am

hmmmm good question..

well after working in the airline for four years, i never seen a boarding from the right! it is either from 1L or 2L
but it happend to me twice in Doha international airport as a passenger, the first time in 1991 where we boarded a gulf air 737-200 from the rear exit, and july 2000 where we were deplaned Qatar airways A300-600ER from the back door, but on my way back to Dubai we boarded from 2L

I think that airports are designed to board passengers from the left side because the cargo doors of the plane are on the right side.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos