SAAB340
Topic Author

How Do Birds Appear On Radar

Wed Oct 17, 2001 5:47 am

Hey all!!

I just wanted to know how big on an object it takes to appear on a radar screen??

I have heard many times on approach of sudden dots being picked up on radar!

Anyone have some more info on this issue??

PAUL

Aerokid

RE: How Do Birds Appear On Radar

Wed Oct 17, 2001 6:26 am

Appearence on a radar of an object depends mostly on the radar cross section (RCS) of that object and off course also on the sensitivity of the radar. RCS of aircraft can vary a lot: a 747 has a RCS of a few dozen square meters, whilst an F-117 has a RCS smaller than that of a compact disc. For birds: I don't think a single bird will appear on a radar screen but a swarm of birds might. Just like you can't see a single raindrop on the screen whilst clouds are visible.

Actually, you really don't wanna see birds and clouds on a radar screen (at least not an ATC radar, the on-board weather radar is another case off course), so various techniques are used to filter these echo's out. They can monitor the speed of the objects and everything that moves slower than an aircraft would normally do will be taken off the screen. Clouds can be eliminated by using circular polarisation of the radar waves, reflection against rainddrops turns the direction of polarization and these echo's are not detected by the radar antenna.

I've been visiting a radar station a few years ago (it was a high school excursion) and they turned the filters off to show us how sensitive the radar is: you could see power lines on the screen: cables of only a few inches thick.

Hope this answers your question.

Best regards,
GR.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos