mls515

If UAL Folds, Which Airlines Will Pick Up Pieces?

Wed Oct 17, 2001 11:59 am

Before we get into this, I'd like to state a few things:
#1) I do not wish to see United Airlines go out of business.
#2) I understand this topic will result in nothing more than pure speculation.
#3) I understand that the possibility of UAL going under is not in any way a done deal and might not happen at all.
Now that all that is cleared up, with the CEO saying that the airline is in trouble, I would like to hear everyone's opinions on which airlines would pick up the routes, hubs, equipment, employees and other business aspects that a hypothetically defunct United Airlines would leave behind.

Example: NW will pick up some of the Airbus narrowbodies, AA will expand greatly at Chicago hub, etc, etc...

Well?

speedport

RE: If UAL Folds, Which Airlines Will Pick Up Pieces?

Wed Oct 17, 2001 12:29 pm

goodwin's comments are a prelude to contract concessions.

I doubt UAL will fail. If it comes close I think you will see the employees go for an ESOP2. If that happens we will do like we did with ESOP1, toss out top management. goodwin and dutta will find themselves out of a job.

jrlander

RE: If UAL Folds, Which Airlines Will Pick Up Piec

Wed Oct 17, 2001 1:00 pm

If UAL does fail, or even has to sell off some portions, look for Delta to try to purchase LHR authorities and possible Asia routes. Though Delta has pulled back from Japan, a possibility to take over significant portions of a major presence there might change things. Of course.... as said above... this is total speculation.

TG992

Wed Oct 17, 2001 1:39 pm

In my fondest dream.. a return of the mighty Pan American World Airways!

*sigh*
 Smile
-

VirginA340

Wed Oct 17, 2001 2:19 pm

PA 3 will not come back to international statues. I don't think Dave Fink has that money to buy LHR authority. He is using it for the railroad.

I can imagine NWA getting the Pacific routes. CO the atlantic and half of LHR and DL the other half. DL and CO already have a strong hold in the Atlantic.
"FUIMUS"

NKP S2

Wed Oct 17, 2001 2:50 pm

I'll put my money on "Speedport". This kind of brinksmanship has been going on since Christ was in diapers. The stakes are higher- so too will be the rhetoric.