airbus380

Flexjet

Fri Oct 19, 2001 1:06 pm

Is Flexjet an actual airline or just a callsign. I heard it just now on JFK Approach.

LAX

RE: Flexjet

Fri Oct 19, 2001 1:17 pm

Maybe JFK was referring to this jet.........

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Rayyan ALSamadani

[Sorry.....Low Blow indeed.....]  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

cv640

Fri Oct 19, 2001 1:17 pm

They are a fractional ownership program of business jets. They are owned by Bombadier and fly Lear 31a's, 45's, 60's, Challengers, and Global Expresses. They have crew bases in DAllas, South Florida, and the New York area

Fri Oct 19, 2001 1:54 pm

I think Flexjet is an aircraft company like Boeing or Cessna. Thay make business jets.

penguinflies

Fri Oct 19, 2001 3:24 pm

Flexjet is a private corporate airline that has a fleet of Bombadier aircraft (Lears to Challengers)

They are owned by the Canadian company and lease out their jets under "fractional ownership"

They really are just a charter airline, but a airline nonetheless.

Russianplnelvr

Fri Oct 19, 2001 3:42 pm

I don't think Flexjet is a charter airline. It is a fractional. Some companies and a few rich people buy shares of time. I'm not too sure how it all works but I think you pay an initial sum to join, then you are charged a monthly fee and an hourly rate when you use the aircraft. Customers are allowed to use the plane for a certain number of hours each year, the hours depend on how much you purchase. There is a big article about fractional companies in a recent issue of Flying magazine. It also sounds like this business is a popular alternative to airline flying for pilots.

AUS_Spotter

Fri Oct 19, 2001 9:42 pm

CV640 has it right.....

These planes are pretty common at AUS during the week. You can spot a Flexjet plane by the reg #. At least from the ones I've seen they all end in "FX"

Click for large version

Photo © Jason Knutson

Click for large version

Photo © Jason Knutson

Jason

IAHERJ

Sat Oct 20, 2001 12:57 am

Lax was correct in his detailing of Flexjet.They take advantage of part 91 rules claiming that the aircraft are owned by specefic owners. This allows the company to bypass FAR 135 requirements that charter companies must adhere to. They are in the process of changing all of this and the FAR's will have a special section to adress all of the "fractional" operations in the U.S. The pilots have schedules unlike corporate pilots but have no travel priveledges or jumpseat priveledges on the airlines. Some have tried to jumpseat but they cannot reciprocate so normally they are denied. It is a good alternative to flying for an airline now that airlines aren't hiring. You fly new jets to neat destinations and if you don't mind being the flight attendant and the bag carrier, it might be for you.
Actually flown: EMB-120 EMB-145 B717 B737 B757 B767