zeus01

US Airlines In The Pacific: Which Ones Dominat?

Fri Oct 19, 2001 11:43 pm

FRom what I always understood, NWA and United were the powerhouses of the pacific. I always heard that Delta and American and Continental were more focued on European travel than Aisian. I know now for a fact that NWA and United do have mroe routes and planes in the pacific, so why don't the other US airlines. I mean, you don't see small loads of people flying from NRT-SIN. Its almost never smaller than a 777 or 747. So somebody explain why the others don't focus on asian travel. I guess Im confused.

oH yea, by they way: NWA rules baby

ryu2

RE: US Airlines In The Pacific: Which Ones Dominat?

Sat Oct 20, 2001 10:18 am

By the original US-Japan bilateral agreement signed in 1951, NW and Pan Am were the two US airlines allowed fifth freedom rights from Japan, so they basically used Tokyo as a hub to serve many other Asian destinations. UA later inherited Pan Am's Pacific routes, including intra-Asia ones.

The other airlines like DL, AA, CO do not have such an Asian hub in place, so their routes are much less because they have to fly straight from the US.

fly_emirates

Sat Oct 20, 2001 10:45 am

Dave...
i think that the airlines focuse according to the market

watewate

Sat Oct 20, 2001 12:10 pm

Ryu2 said it.
NW and UA dominance is no surprise considering their NRT hubs. CO has a nifty little hub in GUM, but it's too far down to serve as a connecting hub like NRT. Also, it lacks the sheer O&D scale that Tokyo presents. You can also thank the advances in global airline alliances.