Jayhawk
Topic Author

Worldways Canada

Sun Oct 21, 2001 6:18 am

The thread re Wardair has prompted me to mention this airline, anyone got any stories of this airline. I flew them a couple of times from CWL - YYZ. One return trip was aboard a DC8 the other aboard an L1011.

Thanks
Jayhawk

yyz717

RE: Worldways Canada

Sun Oct 21, 2001 6:25 am

Worldways was kind of a mass-market budget holiday airline. Started flying charters in '81 with CV-640's to Florida and added a 703. Then 2 more 703's. Added 4 ex-CPair DC-8-63's in 84. Then added 2 ex-PWA L-1011's in 85 and retired the 703's They flew the 4 DC-8's and 2 L-1011's thru to their demise in '90. Added a 3rd L-1011 on lease from Eastern in '89.

Their big mistake was buying 3 721's from TAP in summer '90 for $13M...just before the gulf war and fuel price hikes. WW also faced new competition from '88 with Canada 3000, Odyssey Intl, Vacationair & Crownair all setting up shop in YYZ.....prior to this, WW's primary competitor was Nationair. WW finally bit the dust in late '90.

WW did reserve delivery positions on 6 752's in '89 but never confirmed them. I flew a WW DC-8 on a very long YYZ-ATH vv charter in '88...and was not overly impressed with the carrier.

Neil/Toronto

I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos