RC Pilot
Topic Author

Wow People Are Really Paranoid

Sun Oct 21, 2001 11:20 am

I was at Quad City International at moline IL. I was just finding some areas outside the perimeter to take some neat pictures, and since this airport isnt very busy i would have to wait a little bit for a plane to fly over.

Well some one called the police and they came over and told me to leave because they didnt want to keep responding to people reporting me.

so i went up to an area were a road ended right at the fence and i parked a few yards away and i sat there for a while.

Then that same officer came up and reported my name and license number to the city, county, and the state of illinoise.

I then said that i was just trying to find some places to take pictures and he started freaking out and said if i was ever found around the perimeter i would be arrested.

He said if i wanted to watch planes i could go over by the ap security building with armed people watching what im doing. You cant see crap over there and if i took out a camera and took a pic. i would be arrested.

does this seem a little overdoing it.

I mean what am i going to do sell pics to a terrorist group. They could come here and get all the pics they wanted.

sorry about this long, but i tend to ramble when im P.O.ed

RE: Wow People Are Really Paranoid

Sun Oct 21, 2001 11:22 am

Yes it seems a little over the top. What other airports are close to you that you can go to?

PS - Was the officer fat?

SouthRebels

Sun Oct 21, 2001 11:25 am

Yes and no. It's a sign of the times. Keep in mind we are at war. The dozen and a half terrorists that hijacked and crashed the planes were innocent looking people too. Keep that in mind also. Though some people are overeacting, I'll give you that.

sushka

Sun Oct 21, 2001 11:28 am

I just got back from the Provo Municipal Airport in Utah where the Air Force chartered a Frontier 737-300 for a football game. I took pictures and they said not to so I asked if the guards could take some and they said no, but they were nice about it.
Pershoyu Spravoyu Litaki!

RC Pilot
Topic Author

Sun Oct 21, 2001 11:29 am

I could go to a general aviation airport but i like the big boys.

The officer was not fat but he was really stupid. I call these kind of officers pigs. I was almost tempted to say oink oink when i left.

I also heard the dispatcher say that if im caught there ill be turned into the fbi.

Im not worried about that because i enjoy arguing with pigs. especially when i didnt do anything.

Im more worried about them telling my dad about this.

I dont want him thinking that im that obsessed with airplanes to drive 23 miles to an airport just to watch and take pictures of them.

RC Pilot
Topic Author

Sun Oct 21, 2001 11:33 am

The officer was not nice about it at all. It looked like he was trying to connect me to all this crap that happened because all of a sudden started raising his voice.

He also searched my blazer. I still dont think i look that suspicious sitting at the fence with my parking lights on.

I think i would try to conceal myself better if i was going to do something.

I also think he was looking at me like a typical teenager instead of one that is involved, gets straight a's, and doesnt do much of anything rebelious at all.

AS737900

Sun Oct 21, 2001 11:37 am

Wow. That is really moronic. I wish I could go spotting, but the road to the good spotting area here in ANC is closed to non-authorized traffic.  Sad I don't know what we're supposed to do... it is really starting to irritate the heck out of me though!

sushka

Sun Oct 21, 2001 11:46 am

Oh yeah I forgot to say, Last week I was spotting and taking pictures of Skywest EMB120s from the parking lot in SLC when all of the sudden I heard a police car turn its sirens on and let out a woop wopp. So I just walked off.
Pershoyu Spravoyu Litaki!

RC Pilot
Topic Author

Sun Oct 21, 2001 11:53 am

oh my gosh i just read the post "security going a bit to far"

My experiance isnt even close to what i went through.

Ill tell you, if some rent a cop, pig, or just a plane dumbass did that to me, I would probly snap and get thrown ing jail for beeting the Sh@$ out of a cop.

I was just about to go nuts because im heard of pigs cutting up seats, slashing tires open, and ripping off your dash board to search your car and not reimbersing you when they dont find anything.

If there are any pigs (stupid cops, not all officers) on here here's a message for you.

@#$% you and go to hell

RC Pilot
Topic Author

Sun Oct 21, 2001 12:13 pm

Thanks all for the posts.

ive cooled down a little bit now.

j_hallgren

Sun Oct 21, 2001 12:33 pm

Some questions:

Were you on airport property at the time? If so, they have some possible justification...If not and on "public" property, i would wonder what statute/law they would use as reason...

Are there any new rules/laws that deal with this? If so, they haven't gotten much/any coverage in news...

Could you talk to airport management and ask what you could do to be allowed to do your spotting? Maybe they would work with you if asked politely? Maybe not..but always worth a try..
COBOL - Not a dead language yet!

airlinelover

Sun Oct 21, 2001 12:49 pm

JDC Growly.. Watch your mouth..  Pissed

I don't like the fact that the spotting locations are being axed, but we just need to give it time..

Chris
Lets do some sexy math. We add you, subtract your clothes, divide your legs and multiply

skyhawk

Sun Oct 21, 2001 12:50 pm

RC Pilot- Two things, do you know what P.I.G. stands for? Pridem Integrity, Guts. The initials asre why we call cops "pigs". Secondly, when the guy searched your blazer, did he ask your permission first? I only ask because two years ago when my son was home from school, he and his best friend were outduring the day and for no reason an unmarked car decided to pull them over(they both said they were not speeding and both had seat belts on-state law here). This guy came up to the car forced both of them to get out and proceeded to start searching the car. Both my son and friend asked the cop, "Aren't you supposed to ask if we mind before you start this?" At that point, the cop got PO'd, angrily said, "just get in the car and get out of here." Unfortunately neither of them got his tag number or we could have persued it further. Anyway, just concerned about you, be careful.

NAACREW

Sun Oct 21, 2001 1:23 pm

I dont call this being paranoid, I call it finally being smart. Today the police (NOT PIGS. as you so eloquently called them RC Pilot) and FBI really dont care if you have an interest in aviation. I am sure the flight schools who taught the hijackers how to fly also thought they had an interest in aviation. And you see what happened?

As a crew member, it makes me feel a little bit more secure knowing as we are taxing, taking off or landing, that some nut is not standing there ready to blow us up. And just knowing the police are patrolling airport perimeters, makes you feel somewhat safer.

And wouldnt it have been nice if the security at BOS, EWR and IAD would have maybe been a little bit "paranoid" on 9/11?

Its very much a catch 22 here. People complain if they see security not tight enough, then they complain that people are too paranoid. Which would you prefer?

Skyhawk: I agree that a few years ago they had no right pulling your son over and searching his car. But, I think with all that is going on today, if he was hanging out at the airport, and was told several times that he should leave the area, and didnt, dont you think they would have every right in questioning him and searching his car?

So lets just think alittle before we start calling people too paranoid. And as someone said here, "its the sign of the times".

Safe flying all!
Bob

milldoh

Sun Oct 21, 2001 1:42 pm

Let's face it, people ARE paranoid. But maybe to some extent it's not a bad thing. Security appears to be tighter (can't say for sure since I haven't flown since 9/11) and all the civilians are looking for things out of the ordinary. When you have people calling in because someone is taking pictures of planes, I think that's going a bit too far.

After work on 9/10 I went to EWR to spot for a bit. I was in a place I shouldn't have been. A PA cop pulled up next to me and said "You can't be here." I said "OK" and left. That's it. But if I went to that spot tomorrow, I wouldn't be surprised if the guy wasn't so polite. And I wouldn't blame him. It really was the best spot I found, but I haven't been back there since.

DELL_dude

Sun Oct 21, 2001 1:52 pm

I've had no problems spotting at PVD, but i've noticed there are fewer spotters since sept. 11th, but that hasn't stopped me.

DELL_dude

MMV+KWR

NAACREW

Sun Oct 21, 2001 1:59 pm

Milldoh: And how did the people know for sure he was JUST taking pictures?

milldoh

Sun Oct 21, 2001 2:05 pm

Because he was standing there with a camera, not a shoulder-fired missile.

Sun Oct 21, 2001 2:39 pm

RC PILOT:
I can't believe you can say that about police officers. After what they did on 09/11/01, putting their lives on the line, and taking the ultimate sacrifice for the public. Why don't you try and put a bullet proof vest everyday to goto work.

NAACREW

Sun Oct 21, 2001 3:13 pm

Milldoh: I'd make you a bet, that you would be the first person to complain that security was not tight enough, if something happened again.

"and since this airport isnt very busy i would have to wait a little bit for a plane to fly over."

RC Pilot said he was sitting there for a "bit", he never mentioned he had his camera hanging off his neck. Wouldnt you be concerned if you saw someone hanging out at an airport for a "bit" with all that is going on these days, I sure would.

So when a cop tells you to leave the area, you leave. You dont drive up the road and do the same thing again. Yes, I would sure say he was very wrong for doing that.

And anyone who knows about aviation these days, knows security is tight, so you abide by the rules.

And a shoulder missile is not the only thing that can bring a plane down, a hand gun can do the same thing.

VirginA340

Sun Oct 21, 2001 3:21 pm

RC Pilot; you are a total looser pal. After what the NYPD did how dare you call us pigs!?! I'm not with NYPD but I served with the FDNY. That comment is personal pal I lost over 340 of my guys along with 35 NYPD and clsoe to a dozen PA cops. You have some gall calling the people who protect your ass pigs. Are you willing to take a bullet? Are you willing to rush into a buring building? Are you willing to sacrafice your life for the person you are trying to protect. Worst thing to happen to these guys is for them to go to work and never come back. thats when their loved one get that dreadful phone call about their dad, son, brother, husband, wife, sister ,etc is not comming home. Have you ever been through that pal!?! We here at NYC are having 3-5 funnerals a day just for the police and firemen alone because of these terrorists.

I think you had better watch what you say because it will be us protecting your thankless ass boy!

Had that security detail been there over 6,000 of my fellow New Yorkers would still be around and the WTC would still be there as I drive over the GWB. Why don't you say that comment to some of the officers at ground 0 and we'll see which one of your legs is the first to give out from under you!
"FUIMUS"

Sun Oct 21, 2001 3:30 pm

Virgina340:
well said brother

SouthRebels

Sun Oct 21, 2001 3:34 pm

RC Pilot -- You are seriously out-of-line. You should feel like a piece of shit talking about police that way. Excuse them for doing their jobs and inconveniencing you. Airports and airplanes weren't made so you can go take pictures of them. Sure, it's nice to have that privilege, but that's where you need to understand something. Your spotting is a privilege. The safety of all involved with air travel is a right. The passengers, crew, and everybody else have a right to be safe when traveling by air. If your privilege of spotting is interrupted or taken away to help ensure the safety of all involved then so be it. Stop being a immature baby. Calling police degrading names and telling them to go to hell is so immature. By the way, who cares that you get "straight 'A's'." Is this suppose to make you special or something? I don't understand where that comes from. I want you to go ask someone that lost a mother or father or brother or best friend in the attacks if they care about your desire to take pictures of airplanes being interrupted to help ensure safety. For that matter go into any airport in the country and ask any traveler if they care. I'll bet you they all say they could care less about your spotting. You make me sick, but I can't wait for your response to why you call police degrading names because they were doing their job. You need to grow-up and get your priorities in line.

milldoh

Sun Oct 21, 2001 3:47 pm

Milldoh: I'd make you a bet, that you would be the first person to complain that security was not tight enough, if something happened again.

Of course security has to be tighter after 9/11. And I have seen an increase in patrols especially around EWR. I understand and accept that I won't be able to do things around the airport that I used to. I wouldn't have a problem if a cop came up to me and asked what I was doing. If I was taking pictures I would have no problem letting him check out the camera. But if he told me I couldn't be in a public place at or near the airport, it would bother me.

"and since this airport isnt very busy i would have to wait a little bit for a plane to fly over."

RC Pilot said he was sitting there for a "bit", he never mentioned he had his camera hanging off his neck. Wouldnt you be concerned if you saw someone hanging out at an airport for a "bit" with all that is going on these days, I sure would.

I was at EWR today "hanging out." I didn't have a camera. I hardly think that makes me suspicious. That's not something to be concerned about. In fact, a number of times a PA cop car drove by. I waved to the cop and he waved back.

So when a cop tells you to leave the area, you leave. You dont drive up the road and do the same thing again. Yes, I would sure say he was very wrong for doing that.

You're right, if the guy told him to leave, then he should have left. It was wrong to sneak around and try to find another place down the road. But it should not have been an issue in the first place.

And a shoulder missile is not the only thing that can bring a plane down, a hand gun can do the same thing.

So can birds... let's not get ridiculous here.

Good night.

doug_or

Mon Oct 22, 2001 1:35 am

the fact of the matter is that security is both too tight and too lax. I work on the ramp, and 3 of 4 of the screeners that work at my entrance (i go through a seperate entrance since i work cargo and don't go near the terminal) are completely incompetant. They are so bad at using the wands i don't even need to empty my pockets of the change, keys, watch i have. people have gone through the checkpoint and later deicovered they had a pockert knife they forgot about several times. my boss got let through without even wearing his badge. they only search drivers going through when they feel like it.
Then on the other side of the spectrum theres people who don't deal with aviation everyday. I suspect it makes them feel like they're doing something helpful and patriotic when they harass innocent people. secutity needs to becom "smarter", and better thought out and enforced at airports. this may take time, but hopefuly soon enough we can both go back to spotting and have decent, reliable screening.
When in doubt, one B pump off

SSTjumbo

Mon Oct 22, 2001 2:21 am

Does anyone know if they still let you spot at MDW???
I don't know, so this is my signature.

RC Pilot
Topic Author

Mon Oct 22, 2001 3:24 am

I didnt say that about all cops.

If you guys would read my post I said that the cops who are going way out of line to keep security tight.

I was not sitting in my car. i was standing next to it with my parking lights on with my camera.

i did not come back to the same spot when he told me to leave.

he told me a couple of places i could go and i went where he thought he told me.

i admit i was a out of line in my last post. im sorry if i offended anyone, that was not my intent.

when i told him what i was doing and i was close to where he told me to go. I dont see how it would require more investigation like making me rip my car apart for the dumbass to search it.

there was an older guy who was spotting with me and he didnt get harassed by the sterotype setting asshole that harrassed me.

regards

RC Pilot
Topic Author

Mon Oct 22, 2001 3:27 am

also, no he did not ask my permission to search my blazer. he told me to give him my keys and said why and he started going nuts.

talking to me like i was going to do something.

cwapilot

Mon Oct 22, 2001 3:49 am

Typical little punk. Just like the little brat who gets sent to the principal's office, screaming and yelling at the teacher, bragging and making a good show for his friends, and then, when the principal comes in, changes the entire story...now the loud mouth punk is a poor, persecuted victim. He didn't really give the teacher a hard time...the teacher was out of line!

If giving up spotting until the details are worked out as to where people will be allowed to do it, and maybe dealing with a few over-stressed cops is what it takes during this time, fine with me. Typical kid, cannot see beyond his own nose...did it ever occur to you that maybe that "stereotypical *sshole cop" is actually under a lot of pressure, having an airport on his rounds with all of this going on? This case demonstrates that the world does not revolve around you and what you want to do..the cop is not out to persecute you, he is there to do his job and protect the public. So, in your mind, a cop who is willing to be "nice" and look the other way is better than one who is going to take his job seriously and not take lip from a big mouthed teeager. Son, you gave him no opportunity but to look at you as the typical dirtbag teen. I have several family members who go off to work everyday knowing they will be possibly shot at, hit by a reckless driver, etc...putting up with you is the last thing they are going to do.
Southside Irish...our two teams are the White Sox and whoever plays the Cubs!

RC Pilot
Topic Author

Mon Oct 22, 2001 4:08 am

Listen, I was understanding what he was talking about about airport security and i completely understand that, and i know what being a cop is like. I used to want to be a police officer but i went on a job shadow and i saw the kind of crap they deal with.

I on the other hand did not give him any crap. The only thing that was pissing me off was the fact then when i talked or asked a question politely, he took it some other way that i dont know of.

Also to do an all out search of me because i was in the parking lot next to the one he told me to go into is rediculous.

I completely agree with the security measures that they are taking and i agree with the pilots on here that have said they feel safe knowing someone isnt going to try to take down there plane.

the location i was at when he came the second time was across a six lane road where i could only see a 50 ft section of the airport. To take a plane dow from that far with a gun small enough to concele is most impossible.

I understand somewhat what the officers resonning was. but I was completely corroporative, i think thats how you spell it, and he just kept getting madder and madder.

he has probly had to deal with it alot. but to take it out on someone there for the first time is wrong.

I am not a typical little punk. ill have you know that i am the top 10% of my class and am more disciplined than most people my age. you wont see me anywhere running to my mom or dad like all the mommas boy teenagers out there.

regards

I really dont want this to be a personality arguement in here. It was just a discussion on how some people are taking it a little to far.

peace out and god bless

growly150

Mon Oct 22, 2001 4:21 am

Who gives what percent of your class you are in, it probably just means that you are one of the people responsible for poverty and starvation in the poorer sections of this country.

RC Pilot
Topic Author

Mon Oct 22, 2001 4:40 am

What the hell are you talking about Growly. What makes you think you can tell me im am one of those responsible for that. i work my ass off every day to someday get a good job and have half of my taxes going to people in those areas and waisting it to buy new cars and cell phones. belive me it happens. look around in those areas youll find someone reciving that money using it on there cell phones and cars when it could be used to be given to someone else in that area who really gives a damn.

Thats a comment some low life piece of crap whould say because hes to stupid to say anything else and has to take it his anger out on anonomous people. do you reallize that comment could offend people.

Damn youve got the guts.

VirginA340

Mon Oct 22, 2001 8:21 am

RC whatever you Freaken name is! I don't care for your comments and personally I really hate it when people use their A's in school to be cocky sons of bitches like what you did. i'm surpriesed that the officer didn't ask your license, regestration and insurance card boy! Remember that the NYPD, FDNY, Port authority and an FBI agent we're the ones working hand in hand in trying to save the likes of you guys from the WTC. While you stock brokers, NYSE floor guys and CEOS look down on us everyday and kiss ass by giving us donations only on a time when a tragedy occurs and then on any given day we get your bullshit yelling when we tell you not to park in front of the firehydrant or the most common sense thing of not parking infront of the firehouse door where our truck comes out from. Then when we tell you these things. WE are the ones that have to play nice to YOU Wall ST types just so that you can stop your bitching and moaning!

Remember you evacuated over 25,000 most of them smart ass Wall St types like yourself unfortionatly over 6,000 weren't lucky to make it out! We didn't blink an eye as well as 340 firemen and EMTS, 12 Port Authority 35 NYPD 1 FBI agent didn't think twice. We did had a job to do and we did it but unfortionatly quite a few of us never came out. did you know entire ladder and engine comapnies we're wiped out!?! did you know that in some one two firemen exist because they we're sick or wanted to spen the day with their kids. It's one thing if people hate us or are pissed over a stupid 35 dollar ticket or over a stern warning pre 9-11. But to bash us after for making your pathetic live safe is another! We didn't have to come to work but we did because we wanted to. Give us some respect pal!
"FUIMUS"

VirginA340

Mon Oct 22, 2001 8:23 am

I meant to say FDNY evacuted over 25,000
"FUIMUS"

2cn

Mon Oct 22, 2001 9:34 am

First off, I'm not supporting RCs language used against the police officers, but if you guys noticed, he also stated a fact that supports a good portion of what he is saying. He said
there was an older guy who was spotting with me and he didnt get harassed by the sterotype setting asshole that harrassed me.

If RC is telling everything correctly, I have to agree that the police officer was targeting him just because he was a teen. If it was due to security, then the older guy should have been told to leave as well.

AA767Boy

Mon Oct 22, 2001 10:42 am

Well, i havent posted for awhile, for fear of being persecuted by others like RC Pilot is now.

Cwapilot, Do you know he is like that? Your one of the people who judges teenagers, just for the fact they are teenagers, and ruins the day of many for posting stuff like you just did. Your post makes it seem like younger folk arent welcome here. Im 14, going on 15 in a month, and i probably know just as much about avaition, as half of the adults at this site, and have probably been a member longer than most of them. Are you saying an adult that is doing this exact same thing, is in the right? I think not.

Many of you are taking all of his posts to seriously, and over reacting mostly taking things the wrong way. Like Virgina340's post "After what the NYPD did how dare you call us pigs!?! " Did he call the NYPD as a WHOLE pigs? NO! He called the stupid rent-a-cop who un lawfully searched him, he called that SINGLE cop a pig.

"RC Pilot -- You are seriously out-of-line." What the hell are you talking about. Your name is SouthRebel for the love of god. Your name is out of line.

I support just about everything RC Pilot has said. I was at DFW doing this yesterday when a police officer came up and asked me and my dad to move to another place, where we would still be able to get great shots,(no it was not founders plaza) but it was not against the policy of the airport.

This web-site was fine 2 years ago when there was around 4000 members. But now there is just a bunch of big headed, all knowing, judging assholes.

A A 7 6 7 B o y

RC Pilot
Topic Author

Mon Oct 22, 2001 10:44 am

He did ask for my license. I dont get where you think im talking about all cops.

What he did was wrong. He didnt even ask what the older guy was doing.

I wasnt trying to use my straight a's as a cocky remark.
I was just trying to make my point that i wasnt a typical punk teenager out to make trouble. I couldnt think of anything else to use.

Im sorry if i offended you. Again that was not my intent. True though i understand the cops resoning. It was the fact that he targeted me because i was a teenager and it was early and i wasnt exactly looking my best.

what do you mean i evacuated 25,000 people. listen typing and talking are two different things. I tend to ramble when im pissed. Sorry everyone that i was out of line earlier.

Again if you read my explainations you will see that im only talking about THIS cop.

You guys can call me tom if you want to.

Good night all if your in the Western hemisphere

SouthRebels

Mon Oct 22, 2001 11:03 am

RC - I think people are getting mad because you were out of line. You admitted that you were and apologized for it, but you keep doing what your supposedly sorry for. You're getting upset for being sterotyped, but you yourself are stereotyping. You keep saying you are a good student and get all "A's'." Which implies that all good students and not potentially bad people. Just think about and quit while you are, well, have some respect from people left.

5280AGL

Mon Oct 22, 2001 11:09 am

I love how some of you people are trying to twist RC's words into something that they are not. Shame on you for bashing him just because he is a teenager. And WTF does the NYPD or FDNY have to do with airport cops, are you people nuts!?

I think pretty much everything he said was right on. I do think overzealous airport cops are on a blind witch hunt these days, some are anyway... If you get confronted, be polite, but if they try and pull unecessary stunts, speak up and hold your ground. Remember, they are public servants, not gestapo. They are there to PROTECT your rights, not violate them...Some of them just need a little help remembering that.

At this point, I don't think security is going to lessen any for quite some time. However, I do think once better trained personnel and better technology is in place, it will at least be more orderly and seem less-invasive. But I agree with the many individuals that I certainly don't want some low-life $8.50/hr screener dumping out my bag full of expernsive camera equipment and trying to take it apart as if it were a bomb.

RC Pilot
Topic Author

Mon Oct 22, 2001 11:13 am

Ok all.

now i know being a a good studen doesnt mean that you are a good person. I know some real aregant little jerks that are good students. I just could think of anything else to make me not look like im a little punk, which im not.

I respect all people on here and there opinions and ideas. I realise i was way out of line ealier. My comments were not apropriate at all. I dont think im being persecuted for what i said like aa767boy stated.

i feel i deserve it.

good night

redngold

Mon Oct 22, 2001 11:14 am

Hey, cool it, guys.

RC Pilot: You have the right to ask for the officer's badge number. The officer should ask you whether you agree to have your car searched; however, if the officer has "reasonable suspicion" he can search the car even without your permission. However I suggest that you always obey a police officer's requests rather than argue. (Not something I'm good at, though...)

On or about Sept. 15 I went to the spotting area out at the restaurant across the street from KCLE. A security officer confronted me quite angrily. I mentioned that in the aviation_hobby forum; you can look up my post there. Anyway, what I did was I got his badge number and security company name. Then I called his company supervisor, the restaurant manager, and Cleveland Police to find out what exactly I was and was not allowed to do (the security guard was not clear as to whether the area was closed; he was just plain angry.)
Since I didn't get a straight answer (the restaurant manager didn't know the area was "closed," the security company manager didn't know of any order to keep people away, and Cleveland Police said "what?") I just waited a few more days for things to cool down. Then I drove by several times without seeing any cops, talked to the restaurant manager again, and finally started spotting again.

I saw the security guard who gave me a hard time yesterday, for the first time since he "threw me out." He was a completely different person (emotionally.) I thanked him for watching the area and chatted about a new, larger and higher mound that's been built due to construction. He said it was OK for us to go up there. I didn't mention anything about our previous confrontation. He didn't, either.

Problem solved (hopefully.)

By the way, these cops are only trying to do their job. As I said, if they are aggressive or overbearing about things, don't get mad -- get the badge number and call the supervisor. And don't start your call to the supervisor on an angry note. Explain what you were doing and ask what the policy is. Then either say thanks and hang up (if the policy is against you) and swallow your pride, or carefully explain why you are upset and thank the supervisor for his or her time.

Just my 0.02,
redngold
Up, up and away!

Mon Oct 22, 2001 11:23 am

Well, here's what I think about current security around the airports.

Right now, the threat of a terrorist attack is still high and will be even after we topple Al Queda, which we will, eventually.

I think gradually you'll see a relaxation of security at airports. IT'll be maybe two years before security around airports loosens up .Security in airports is antoher sotry, that might take a decade to loosen, and it will never be as convenient and easy as it used to be, it will be tight inside forever, my firend. Forever. you can thank Osama Bin Laden himself for that. I'd like to kill the guy with a crowbar, and I sympathize HEAVILY for the New Yorkers who gave up their lives to save others. They are all heroes.

Unfortunately for spotters, added security equals less opportunity.

As was said earlier it is a sign of the times. Scurity is at a level that, prior to the attack, would have been considered insane by you and me alike. But attitudes have changed, at least for the time beaing. People are more willing to sacrifice convience in the interest of safety, and yes, a man loafing around the airport perimeter does look suspicious, and should and will be dealt with, for the time being.

Keep in mind though that they won't keep it up forever, they will inside the airports but not outside, and when I move to Maui here in a couple years I look forward to sitting beyond the fence on the approach path like I used to enjoy. Until then, you just have to put up with security till the US deals with the threat and makes the world safer, at which time less security will be needed.

For now, the last thing we need are more dead people, more felled buildings, more dead rescue workers, more dead pilots, more dead passengers..etc, etc...

Aloha 737-200!!  Wink/being sarcastic

RC Pilot
Topic Author

Mon Oct 22, 2001 11:24 am

It was such a tramatising experience i couldnt really think clearly.

i respect peoples opinions and there opinions about me. just keep it clean please.

when i get responses like that from people i cool it down a little bit and it makes me realise im being inapropriate.

It keeps me in line. I quess you could say i somewhat like when people tell me when im out of line. Then i can correct myself.

Thanks all for the posts, i appriciate it

good night

RC Pilot
Topic Author

Mon Oct 22, 2001 11:37 am

Thankyou to you fine people that agree with me and havent twisted my words around and said strong things at me.

Im not sure where someone got where i was talking about the nypd, but i agree there are some big headed individuals on here.

Its hard to stand alone. Thankyou aa767boy, 5290agl, and redngold for standing up with me.

oflove13

Mon Oct 22, 2001 11:46 am

i just read that some airlines are taking creamers, sugars and sweetners off there planes because of the antrax scare. now how do the flight attendants expain this one to the paxs that expect everything and dont want to know any excuses. i am just wondering whats next??

RC Pilot
Topic Author

Mon Oct 22, 2001 11:49 am

Just have everyone naked.

lol cant do anything or hide anything then.

just kidding of course. I dont want to be persecuted again.

I saw this comment on a couple of other posts

VirginA340

Mon Oct 22, 2001 12:32 pm

RC it looks like you didn't read my correction after my last post. DUH!

AA767Boy I was quite offended by that idiot. Instead of giving an imediate apoligy he starts to BS and make excuses. Typical cocky know it all.
"FUIMUS"

DSMav8r

Mon Oct 22, 2001 12:53 pm

Come on you guys, give the guy a break. I can see where it would be upsetting and frustrating to go through something like this (it has happened to me countless times over the years).

The fact is, there are good airports cops and there are bad ones, just like any other profession. Some have nothing better to do than to harrass people who are obviously not doing anything wrong, that is a fact. However, there are also some really good guys/gals at airports, who recognize that aviation photography is a legitmate, non-threatening activity and they respect that. This is mainly at major airports who see photographers/spotters on a regular basis. But, at a smaller facility such as MLI, which does not receive photographers on a regular basis, it could cause a problem, mainly due to ignorance.

Don't worry, things will get back to normal, some people just need a little more time to absorb their "chill pills."  Smile
To most people, the sky is the limit. To those who love aviation, the sky is home

RE: Virgin340

Mon Oct 22, 2001 3:17 pm

Alright, but excuse me here, but I think you're just as much in the wrong as those who called the cops pigs, or whatnot.

By all means, the NYPD, FDNY, FBI, etc are all heroes by all standards, hands-down, no question. But lets face the reality, there are some crooked cops out there in the world, and some security people use their position as a power trip.
The way are persecute people is astonishing. Why are you mad at all the Wall St. types? Be glad they are donating money, they don't have to remember. Is wasn't their fault that the terrorist attacks hit. And face it, there are differences in the wealth of people in this country and many factors go into that. You have to right to criticize those people for their roles in the terrorist attacks and being in NYC.
Plus, remember that you too were a teenager not so long ago. We all say stupid things, and adults will do that too.

GoAllegheny

RC Pilot

Tue Oct 23, 2001 5:01 am

Well, I've slogged through about half of the responses and I still don't understand why people are beating up on you for being a good student. I thought your explanation was pretty understandable. Lots of thin skins around here. Anyway, going back to your first post yesterday, I'm kinda wondering - what WOULD your dad think if he knew you had driven 23 miles to take pictures? And what of it?