ahlfors

Intercontinental Flights At HEL

Fri Oct 26, 2001 7:58 am

Does anyone know if any airlines are planning on flying intercontinentally into Helsinki. Currently, AY is the only scheduled operator with flights to JFK, NRT, PEK, BKK (onto SIN or CLK) and seasonally to YYZ and DXB. Also, I believe LY still has flights to Tel Aviv, if that can really be considered intercontinental.

I would like to see a US airline flying to Helsinki, like Pan Am and Delta used to.

Stockholm and Copenhagen both get a lot more intercontinental flights. Does the demand simply not exist at HEL or what is it?

Thomas Ahlfors

cedarjet

RE: Intercontinental Flights At HEL

Fri Oct 26, 2001 8:13 am

I guess everything's changed since 9/11/01, but surely HEL would be an ideal destination for CO? They seem(ed) really keen to find niches like Shannon, Edinburgh, Birmingham et al. They could use their nice new 767-200NGs. In the meantime, lucky old AY having the market to itself (top airline btw).

How long did Delta last? Do they still fly to the other three Scandinavian countries?
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

MAH4546

Fri Oct 26, 2001 10:03 am

I think LY still flies seasonally to FLL via BGR. Not sure, though. LY used to fly to SFO and MIA in the early/mid 1990s. I don't know when those flights ended, however. In the future, as part of thier oneWorld membership, I could possibly see LY at Chicago O'Hare, giving connections to the West coast US, and Miami, as Florida is the #1 tourist destination for Finnish tourists in the US and is also a major oneWorld hub. Not for the short-term, however.
a.

FunFlying

Fri Oct 26, 2001 4:33 pm

First as a reply to the previous post, MAH4546, I guess you mean AY (Finnair) instead of LY (ElAl).

The first new intercontinental destination will be Hong Kong (HKG) in February operated with Finnair via BKK, as Thomas wrote. LY doesn't fly to HEL anymore, so there aren't any intercontinental airlines outside Europe serving HEL.

Delta doesn't fly to the Nordic countries anymore, they stopped their flights to Stockholm a few weeks ago due to NYC events, as did AA.

I think at least some Asian airlines could have potential at HEL..tough it's hard to come to Finnair's strong home market.. Smile

FunFlying
Leaving on a Jetplane...

heisan67

Fri Oct 26, 2001 8:15 pm

PIA is serving Oslo (OSL - Norway) and could be interested in HEL, but from what I know, Finland has very few people with Pakistani background living there.

Jetboy

Fri Oct 26, 2001 8:38 pm

I remeber when Thai flew HEL-BKK, but stopped it shortly after starting....why? bad loads i guess....

finns like to fly finnair:P ?

cheers jetboy

MD

Fri Oct 26, 2001 8:59 pm

Thai flew HEL?!?!?
When?

///

Jetboy

Fri Oct 26, 2001 9:45 pm

It was like ages ago, 10 years ago or so...dont remeber exactly...

cheers jetboy

gardermoen

Fri Oct 26, 2001 9:57 pm

Thai flew sometime around 92/92 and it lasted for one season only. It was twice weekly Bangkok-Helsinki-Munich. And Im sure they used 747-300 equipment.
The route didnt work out at all.

ola

Fri Oct 26, 2001 9:57 pm

Has some other 747 flown regular flights to HEL (expect cargo companies)?

ola

Fri Oct 26, 2001 10:01 pm

I said expect, but I meant except. sorry Big grin.

OH-LZA

Fri Oct 26, 2001 10:43 pm

The services to DXB and FLL (via BGR) are/were (Finnish tour operators have stopped selling trips to Florida, this was before 9/11) charters operated for Finnish tour operators. I don't see any potential for PIA (would be nice for us spotters though  Big grin), i see little potential for CO. I'm sad AY dropped SFO, i see potential in it because we have a lot of hi-tech industry here in Finland, i guess the MD11's were too big for the route  Sad.
I once read here that EK was planning to start DXB-SVO-HEL.

Zulu Alpha

Jetboy

Fri Oct 26, 2001 10:57 pm

i remeber the Thai crew staying in the Strand Inter-Continental Smile

cheers jetboy

Blueskies

Fri Oct 26, 2001 11:51 pm

There might be a possibility for some US airline (CO perhaps) to start a route to SVO with a stop in HEL. That way the load factor might be good enough, I don't see HEL alone to be a profitable enough destination for CO.

On the other hand, now that AA dropped STO, they might be interested in starting ORD-HEL, since both AA and AY are members of OneWorld. AA could then codeshare AY to destinations in Eastern Europe and Russia.

Greetings,
Blueskies

MD

Sat Oct 27, 2001 12:17 am

Possibly JAL, because if JAL joined Oneworld then Finnair and JAL start code-share flight from Narita Airport. Finnair fly two times a week from Tokyo and Finnair needs couple flight more, but Tokyo Narita Airport is so busy and so Finnair have problems to get more flight.

Sorry my worst English.
///

MD

Sat Oct 27, 2001 4:30 am

I hope that some new Airline starts fly HEL.

///

Hagi

Sun Oct 28, 2001 5:36 am

Just a few remarks...

Thai came to the Finnish market at a very bad time; the recession of the early 90s was in full swing here. That was not a normal downturn but a true economical crisis which killed for instance several tour operators and got Finnair into serious trouble. And this was after a period of economical boom never seen before (and since?). Passenger figures at Helsinki-Vantaa airport reached the pre-recession levels again just recently, in 1998 or 1999, so maybe you can imagine the severity of the blow the whole travel industry in this country had to sustain back in 1990-1994.

As for the SFO route, I, too, wonder how come Finnair couldn't make it a success during the last couple of years. Perhaps the service should have been all-year-round and more frequent to really establish the airline as a player in the US west coast. Or maybe SFO-Europe market was too saturated already. What ever the case, the silicon valley connection has lost a lot of its importance since the beginning of this year anyway.

And yes, before the events of this September and the ensuing conflict, Middle-Eastern companies were rumouredly looking at Helsinki as a possibility. In fact, rights to fly between Helsinki and Abu Dhabi (someone correct if it's some other Gulf destination) have been negotiated between the governements of Finland and UAE. Now we just need an airline to operate that route... maybe sometime in the future. Such rights have evidently been agreed to flights between Helsinki and Osaka, too...

- Hagi

Sun Oct 28, 2001 5:44 am

HEL is the coolest airport ever, I love that place. Anyway, HEL has a huge potential to expand, I wouldn't be surprised if within the next 5 years we saw a new airline start up there and have it as a major hub. AY is a fantastic airlines, but if they don't expand more, then I think that we could see some competition out of HEL to places like JFK, SFO, and LAX.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos