Questions You Would Ask A Russian Airline Pilot?

Mon Oct 29, 2001 7:41 am

Howdy all

I am needing some ideas here.

I am currently working on a website which deals with Russian aviation, and as part of that site, I will be getting some pilots from Russia to give analogies and information on what it is like to be an airline pilot in Russia/CIS today, and in the past.

The people I will be getting this information from have piloted a diverse range of aircraft including: An-2, An-12, An-26, An-30, An-32, Il-18, Il-62, Il-86, Mi-2, Mi-8, Tu-134, Tu-154, Tu-204, Yak-40, Yak-42 and others, and also Boeing and Airbus aircraft.

So what I need to know (from an enthusiasts perspective, as the site will be for them), is if you were to meet a Russian airline pilot, and you wanted to know what their experiences are and what it is like to fly the aircraft that they fly, then what questions would you ask them?

Any ideas are totally welcome, and expected  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

If you have questions which relate to specific aircraft, or anything at all, then give me those ideas.

You can either leave them here, or you can email me on scotty@aviatsiya.ru

Thanks for your help people.

ctbarnes

RE: Questions You Would Ask A Russian Airline Pilot?

Mon Oct 29, 2001 7:50 am

One question I would have is about handling characteristics of Russian aircraft, and what they are like to fly. For example, I have heard anecdotal evidence that the IL-62 can be a difficult aircraft to fly. It is tailheavy, even with perfect weight and balance, and can be very unforgiving in an emergency.

This is something we do not hear much about, and what would interest me.

Thanks

Charles, SJ

The customer isn't a moron, she is your wife -David Ogilvy

planeguy

Mon Oct 29, 2001 12:36 pm

"Will you or your son be flying the aircraft?"

Tue Oct 30, 2001 9:09 pm

Howdy Charles (so we meet again)

That is one question I have already asked him, and I already have some responses on that, but I am just in the process of translating a lot of stuff at the moment.

Will let ya know when it is all ready.

Cheers

Scotty

cedarjet

Tue Oct 30, 2001 9:33 pm

Sounds like a brilliant concept for a book.

I would ask if there had been any stories like UA232 (DC10 flew for 30 mins without any controls, two-thirds of the pax survived). Surely for all the A310s that were crashed because the pilot's brats were at the controls, there must have been some amazing feats of airmanship and stories of survival against the odds?

There is a book about the Il62 (in German and English) about an Il62 of Interflug that landed (on it's gear) in a field so it could be displayed permanently at an aviation museum in a small German village (which had no airport). They even managed to taxi after landing! So what about unusual missions, landing sites (on ice for instance?).

Really envy you with the project, sounds fascinating. Good luck!
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

EGGD

Tue Oct 30, 2001 9:47 pm

When was the last time you sat in the left seat Sober?  Laugh out loud

Andreas

Tue Oct 30, 2001 10:01 pm

How much fuel do you and your F/O use per hour of flight in the cockpit?
If answer is 0: Are there any suicidal tendencies in your family?
Which currency did you use to pay for the fuel? (and this time I mean fuel that is needed to operate the engines, as opposed to question 1!!!)
If the answer is "no convertible Western currency" start praying!!!
Regards!
I know it's only VfB but I like it!

ra-85154

Tue Oct 30, 2001 10:11 pm

I would ask them:

"Do you prefer the cockpit the Soviet / Russian way: a captain, first-officer, navigator and flight engineer. Or would you think the western way is better: just a captain and a first officer?"

RA-85154

[p.s. please let me know when the site goes online]

Will_ATL

Tue Oct 30, 2001 10:24 pm

How did Air Traffic Control in the former Soviet Union differ from that of the west?
How has it changed? Was/is all radio communication in Russian? If so, what language problems occur with the rest of the world using English?

sushka

Tue Oct 30, 2001 10:34 pm

I would ask them what their limit of flying hours a week is, how old they are, and their flying background.
Pershoyu Spravoyu Litaki!

Tue Oct 30, 2001 10:45 pm

Ask them if they have flown sober?
Iain

Wed Oct 31, 2001 12:27 am

Cedarjet

Hmmm.....a book you say? Don't get any smart ideas there. I have already trademarked the concept  Wink/being sarcastic

Iainhol

How about I ask them if they are a commercial pilot? The difference between if I asked them and asked you, is that they would answer Yes!!!. Get a life, child.

To everone else, I appreciate the ideas. Some of them are quite new, but please keep them coming if you can.

Cheers

Scotty

Wed Oct 31, 2001 2:27 am

Id like to ask them... If they ran out of fuel do they put Vodka instead to keep flying??  Laugh out loud

MIAspotter  Nuts

LY744

Wed Oct 31, 2001 5:40 am

Can you stop with the lame attempts at jokes? (directed at the smart-a$$es who replied to this thread, and not to Russian airline pilots!  Smile ).

LY744.
Pacifism only works if EVERYBODY practices it

JAT

Wed Oct 31, 2001 11:22 am

How do you find the transition between Russian aircraft and Western aircraft?

Overall, what is the main, characteristic difference between Russian and Western ACs?

What practical solutions that are used on Russian ACs are over-complicated on Western ACs (if any)?

Does the higher level of automation on Western/newer aircraft make your work easier or less interesting (i.e. less things to do)?

Do you find it difficult to make the transition in communicating figures from metric to imperial?

--------------------------------------------------

I'd really like to know the answers to these questions...

Wed Oct 31, 2001 11:29 am

Iain

Your comments may have been a little humourous in the first instance. In the second instance, it was not warranted.

You seem to go out of your way on these forums to insult as many people as you can, and in whatever fashion you see fit.

My point about being a pilot? My point exactly was that there are thousands of pilots within Russia/CIS who do a sterling job, and with smart-arse comments like yours you are not only disrespecting all of them, but you are also disrespecting those who I have come to know quite well over the time (and would have no problem in calling them friends). You disrepect my friends.....you disrespect me. Got it?

Two points:

1) The majority of these guys don't speak English, and as such have no right of reply, because forum rules state any posts must be in English.

2) Those who do speak English, and who I have tried coming onto these forums to divulge some of their experiences and information, have told me quite bluntly, that these forums are full of know-it-alls who think the sun shines out of their arse. You are one of these people Iain (as are Planeguy, Andrea and Pilot3xx). And it is for people like you, why I may just give up altogether also. There are plenty of Russian language forums where I can go and discuss my passion for aviation, and there is none of the shit on their sites which is so prevalent on this one.

Now until you can do a better job than these guys and gals, I suggest you go and get that vodka bottle (which you accuse them of using whilst on duty) and shove it where the sun don't shine.

Is that frank enough for you Iain?

Now, in regards to your comment about being a homo. Yeah, I am a poof. Big f**king deal. Where does that even remotely come into this equation Iain?

Now if you have anything intelligent to contribute Iain, I suggest you take it elsewhere.

cedarjet

Wed Oct 31, 2001 11:37 am

Not a question, more of an answer (?). Aeroflot also carried a radio officer on the flight deck on international routes. Considering the vast number of pilots at Aeroflot, it was easier and cheaper to carry a radio officer who spoke English, than teach it to aviation standard to ALL the captains and ALL the first officers. A dedicated group of professional operators for international flights was the most economic solution.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

fspilot747

Wed Oct 31, 2001 12:50 pm

What's it like being in a cockpit like this for 4 hours??

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Dmitry Avdeev

-FSPilot747 Big grin

lapa_saab340

Wed Oct 31, 2001 5:15 pm

I'd be very interested to hear anecdotes about the IL-62 and the IL-86 in particular, but any Russian a/c interests me. I'd like to know what is it like to fly them, how they handle, whether they have any quirks, and the things they like/hate about the different models.

I'd also be interested to hear about their experiences flying into unprepared fields, such as the one Cedarjet mentioned above. From what I've read, the ability to operate from unprepared fields is one capability that Russian a/c have over Western aircraft.

Please let us know when you got the site running!  Smile
Thanks!

christianbothe

Wed Oct 31, 2001 6:30 pm

How did you learn to fly? On which aircraft type? I know a lot of the airliner pilots started as military pilots, how does this affect the way they fly (if it does)?

Smile/happy/getting dizzy christian

RP TPA

Wed Oct 31, 2001 8:00 pm

"Hi....are you the pilot who shot down that Korean Air plane?"

Hi, I'm the grandson of Gary Francis Powers....mind if I fly the plane for a while?"

"So, ...which of those really old flight attendants in the drab dresses have you, you know..."

covert

Thu Nov 01, 2001 6:38 am

do russian airliners have fly by wire, or are the hydraulics very hard?
none

CX Flyboy

Thu Nov 01, 2001 10:14 am

Aviatsyia,

I'd like to know about their Flight Time Limitations. Yesterday an An124 flew in from Marseilles to HKG, sat on the ground for 4 hours then departed to Macau. For us, that would be way past our flight time limits. I wonder what their limits are, and how strictly they adhere to them....if at all.

yak42

Sat Nov 03, 2001 12:12 am

If you could find pilots who fly Il-62s and Yak-42s in partricular, I'd love to hear how the pilots like them/dislike them and about their performance etc.

Sat Nov 03, 2001 12:22 am

What is it like to fly the SU37. That plane is awesome. And would you take me for a ride?..hehe

schreiner

Sat Nov 03, 2001 12:43 am

Where do yo get the nerves?
Soaring the internet...