nygfan84

Attention Please Stop Using Airport Codes

Tue Oct 30, 2001 7:26 am

I understand that everyone here is very familiar with every aiport code in the world. I understand the easy ones like ORD,PHL, and SFO. I am just asking to type the full city name it would mae reading the posts so much easier. Thanks

milldoh

RE: Attention Please Stop Using Airport Codes

Tue Oct 30, 2001 7:27 am

But then people can't pretend they're smart because they know all the codes...  Wink/being sarcastic

LHMark

Tue Oct 30, 2001 7:31 am

Nothing makes one sound more intelligent than impeding communication.  Smile
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

Crosswind

Tue Oct 30, 2001 7:32 am

I don't have a problem with people using codes for major cities and airports, which most people can understand. It's when people start using obscure codes for small local airports that I don't have a clue, and most of the Canadian Y... codes, forget it!

Anyway, this link will help. Just type the code to find out the airpor and vv.

http://www.ar-group.com/icaoiata.htm

Regards
CROSSWIND

EGGD

Tue Oct 30, 2001 7:36 am

Hey man, why don't you just head on down to SFB where you can get a connection to MIA and from there to AMS. from AMS you can get to BKK and BKK is a short hop from SIN. when at SIN you can easily get to NRT which we can use to get to SYD before moving onto CNS and then AYQ. From AYQ we can go domestic to ASP and then onto PER, back to SYD until we get to LAX and then from LAX to JFK before skipping the pond to LHR and then down to FAO before finally making the trip to MIR and back to MAN. From MAN you have a really short hop back to BRS.

Easy enough?

Regards

Dan

NWA

Tue Oct 30, 2001 7:36 am

If you dont know the airport, LOOK IT UP!! If I said I went to KJYM, I would not expect you to know that it is Hillsdale muni, but if you want to know, It takes about 10 seconds to look it up.
23 victor, turn right heading 210, maintain 3000 till established, cleared ILS runwy 24.

Tue Oct 30, 2001 7:37 am

I'm too lazy!! Just kidding.

zionstrat

Tue Oct 30, 2001 7:38 am

Nygfan84-

Aviation pros from ground to the cockpit live these codes everyday and you have to expect them to use the linga franca of their industry when they are online- To expect otherwise is a bit like asking a French speaker to talk slowly and in English for your benefit.

As a non-pro, on general topics where routing is not paramount, I agree that the use of city names helps us out- But while we are learning, there are hundreds of web sites such as:

http://www.aim-higher.com/travelmall/AircodeCity.txt
that we can use to keep up-

Bluebellya380

Tue Oct 30, 2001 7:41 am

EGGD:
That's easily understood!?! Wow!

Tue Oct 30, 2001 7:46 am

Learn them or...well you had better learn them.....

lindy field

Tue Oct 30, 2001 8:58 am

Here's a test:

PIG
DOG
CAT
RAT
APE
COW
YAK

and one more:

LOL

When you can identify all those airport codes, you're ready to post on airliners.net. Have a nice day.

LAX

Tue Oct 30, 2001 9:03 am

Lindy Field ..... May your spinster sister cough up a "YAK" hairball!!!!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

yyz717

Tue Oct 30, 2001 9:11 am

Lindyfield, you make me laugh! Good one!

Reminds me of the heavy-set lady checking her luggage in at LAX for a flight to Fresno. The ticket agent eyed her and printed off a big sticker that said 'FAT' and stuck it to the lady's luggage. "How dare you call me 'fat' by putting that on my luggage", said the haughty hefty lady. "Huh?" said the ticket agent, "FAT stands for Fresno".

hehehehehe

Neil

I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

Tue Oct 30, 2001 9:12 am

Have a look at http://www.iata.org/codes/ if you need help translating an A.net post

As far as not using codes? NEVER! Big grin

Corey777

yyz717

Tue Oct 30, 2001 9:13 am

I agree Corey777.

AOK.

I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

jmc1975

Tue Oct 30, 2001 9:36 am

Here are a few airport nicknames given because of their 3-letter codes:

Baltimore/Washington - BeeWee
Fresno - Fat
Hermosillo - Homo
Sacramento - Smurf

serge

Tue Oct 30, 2001 1:01 pm

Everyone needs to know this one:

ISN = Sloulin Field Intl. - Williston, ND

...Serge :P

SouthRebels

Tue Oct 30, 2001 1:24 pm

Nygfan, I understand what your saying, but it's so much easeier to use the codes. No better way to learn them then to just be exposed to them. Also, most of the airport codes are common sense. Examples, JFK, MIA, DFW, MSP, DTW, STL, CLE, PIT, PHL, SFO, HNL, ANC. Those are just a few, but you get the point. Don't worry about it, you'll get them.

Tue Oct 30, 2001 1:36 pm

Assimilate like the rest of us did, and learn them.

twr75

Tue Oct 30, 2001 2:26 pm

Here's a couple:

ABX
SHT
Like a seagull on the MCG of life...

flightsimfreak

Tue Oct 30, 2001 2:39 pm

My favorite route in spain... Madrid to Seville... figure that one out

AM744

Wed Oct 31, 2001 5:41 am

And what about cities with multiple airports? Codes are useful, they weren't invented just for the fun of it.

Wed Oct 31, 2001 6:25 am

I LIVE NEAR KCHS, LOVE TO GO TO KATL, BEEN TO LLBG, AND REALLY LIKE OKBK AND SPENT TIME AT BIKF AND OKAS. THE HOTEL NEAR LERT IS NICE ALSO.

lapa_saab340

Wed Oct 31, 2001 6:36 am

Nygfan84, I agree with you there. While it's fine to use the identifiers for the well-known airports, it's silly to refer to the local airports by only their identifiers - only you and the people who live nearby probably know it, or care to know it. I don't think it would hurt to use both the name and identifier for clarification purposes in these cases.

Sure, we can always refer to some website to find out, but it wouldn't hurt for the people who post to clarify that and save us that trouble  Smile I can talk about EWR and most people will know where that is. But if I start saying 47N, LDJ, TTN, CDW, then I'd be sending most of you to some website to find out what on earth I'm talking about. Like someone said earlier, it seems that people like to pretend they're smart because they know the codes  Smile

Wed Oct 31, 2001 6:50 am

Post the Airport then the code beside it so we can learn.

seven_fifty7

Wed Oct 31, 2001 6:51 am

I agree with the originator of this thread. Though I personally know almost all of the more important airport codes in the world, I think it's just plain stupid to go out of your way to type something like WAW, STT, MXP, or BDL when just saying the name of the city ("Warsaw," "St. Thomas," "Milan," or "Hartford") is just more natural and easier for EVERYONE to understand. Afterall, when using just the three-letter codes, you have to go through the minor inconvenience of pressing & unpressing "caps lock" as you type. I know for me, that's annoying when you have several airports you wanna discuss.

But the MAIN pet peeve of mine are knuckleheads that LOVE to put "K" in front of every code just to sound more like some kinda ultra-experienced, super-knowledgeable aviation insider. (Why type "KCLE," when "Cleveland" is what everyone knows?)

I'm not impressed.

Wed Oct 31, 2001 7:33 am

For everyone who is "against" using codes, and asking us to stop.

WHY-SHO-ULD-WEE?

The aviation industry is just like any other industry in the world. There is jargon involved, and if you are an aviation enthusiast, you have to learn it.

You have to learn the Phonetic Alphabet (i.e Alpha, Bravo, Charlie,etc). You learn aircraft codes (ILW = Il86 as opposed to IL8 which = Il-18, etc). You learn airline codes (AAA = Ansett, QF = QANTAS, etc). You learn specific aviation terms (ETOPS = Engines Turn Or Passengers Swim, etc). And you will have to learn airport/city codes. It is a fact of aviation life you can not get around, so live with it people. There are links which people have provided above, which will help you to encode/decode cities/airports. Use them!