Topic Author
Posts: 659
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2001 9:22 pm

Yaw Dampers

Wed Oct 31, 2001 11:58 pm

Just out of curiosity, but does anyone know what a Yaw Damper is?
Posts: 286
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2001 5:59 am

RE: Yaw Dampers

Thu Nov 01, 2001 12:42 am

Maybe a pilot or engineer will give a better explanation on what yaw dampers are, but based on Flight Simulator, I understand it's useful when flying at high altitudes and speeds, preventing the plane from oscillating up and down.

Please anyone feel free to make any necessary correction to my post.

Posts: 334
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2001 5:58 pm

RE: Yaw Dampers

Thu Nov 01, 2001 1:32 am

Yes, many of us know what a "yaw damper is", and the above post is partially correct in that it's useful at high altitudes and speeds. You will not get much useful response in this section, I'm afraid, restate your question more clearly and post it in the tech section.
Topic Author
Posts: 659
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2001 9:22 pm

RE: Yaw Dampers

Thu Nov 01, 2001 1:37 am

Perhaps you could help me, seeing as im so stupid.

Should I ask "Could anyone tell me the purpose of a Yaw Damper on an aircraft"

because if I dot know what one is, then there isnt much chance of me asking a god damn detailed question. Gee, you ask a question and some ass patronises you for it.

Forgive my outburst everyone.

RE: Yaw Dampers

Thu Nov 01, 2001 1:52 am

It stops you from dutch rolling.
Posts: 339
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2000 9:18 pm

RE: Yaw Dampers

Thu Nov 01, 2001 2:00 am

A yaw damper is used to prevent the aircraft from going into a dutch roll.

If, for some reason (wind gust for example), the aircraft slips (i.e. it turns without rolling: the aircraft's nose doesn't point to the direction of flight anymore), then, because of that turn the speed of the airfoil around the wings is not the same anymore (for a short while). One wing will generate more lift than the other and the aircraft starts rolling. At the same time (when the aircraft is turning) the entire vertical stabilizer catches wind, forcing the aircraft in a turn in the other direction.

The aircraft will of course not stop turning at exactly zero degrees yaw, it will go a bit further and the other side of the vertical stabilizer will start catching wind, the other wing will start generating more lift... The process starts all over again and this, COMBINED with the pilot's corrective actions could result in a uncontrollable situation. This is also commonly referred to as "pilot induced oscillations".

What a Yaw damper consists of physically, I don't know. I guess it is some electronic control unit (in the case of Airbus FBW certainly) that limits the deflection of the rudder. Maybe there's a hydromechanical coupling as well.

I know it might sound complicated, it is just not easy to explain (and understand) without the aid of a figure or drawing.

Hope it gave you something of a clue anyway...

Best regards,
Topic Author
Posts: 659
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2001 9:22 pm

RE: Yaw Dampers

Thu Nov 01, 2001 2:11 am

Thanks GR (Aerokid) for your informative response.

I only noticed it on the flight sim, when the 757 info panel flashes up a warning until they were switched on.
Posts: 105
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2001 7:22 pm

RE: Yaw Dampers

Thu Nov 01, 2001 5:20 am

It's a gyro in the tail.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alexa [Bot], Baidu [Spider], Bostrom, bx737, deltaffindfw, dfwjim1, EC135C, flydia, flyingclrs727, flyingturtle, GrayMatter, GSPSPOT, KarelXWB, legacyins, metsfan1, moo, msycajun, Phen, PITflier, Polot, qf002, rta, rutankrd, SCQ83, theclash65, thedetroitpole, Yahoo [Bot] and 389 guests