9V-SPK
Topic Author

Unreleased: SQ1 Discovered "White Powder" Onboard.

Thu Nov 01, 2001 12:22 am

Just been informed by SQ staff that SQ1 on its way to Hong Kong from San Francisco has been discovered a pack of "White Powder".Crew found the White Powder in the toilet, and informed the pilot immediately, and Pilot informed SQ Singapore Quarter, and then to Hong Kong station.

All passengers have NOT been informed by this "White Powder" Suspicion.All passengers are safe at the moment and SQ1 is on its way to Hong Kong, arriving at normal scheldue 06:40am HKG time.Ground Staff os SIA HK station have been informed to standby at airport and office.However, SQ1 will not enter CLK as an emergency landing, but jsut a normal landing.All Passnegers will NOT be allowed to leave the plane after arrival due to safety reasons.

Will Keep You Updated.
Best Regards

Cathay Pacific

RE: Unreleased: SQ1 Discovered "White Powder" Onboard.

Thu Nov 01, 2001 12:32 am

are you serious here????

you mean the SQ1 that will arrive on 1/11????

hope this is just another sick joke.........

Smile/happy/getting dizzy Smile/happy/getting dizzy Smile/happy/getting dizzy Cathay Pacific........The Heart of Asia  Smile/happy/getting dizzy Smile/happy/getting dizzy Smile/happy/getting dizzy
cathay pacific, now you're really flying

9V-SPK
Topic Author

Thu Nov 01, 2001 12:35 am

Yes, SQ1 that will arrive here in Hong Kong tomorrow morning.And I'm very very serious.

But i also think this is another sick joke of Anthrax.
Anyways, let's hope it is.

Best Regards

9V-SPK
Topic Author

Thu Nov 01, 2001 12:38 am

The plane will be parked at outer bay.
Also, the powder was discovered in Economy Class, by a crew while cleaning up the toilet.

The toilet has been locked up right now.

That's all i've got for the time being.

Best Regards

Cathay Pacific

Thu Nov 01, 2001 12:41 am

why they dun turn back or stop at HNL???

Ikarus

Thu Nov 01, 2001 12:45 am

Quite interesting, how fast this news is. We know about it sitting in our homes on the ground, while the pax of the plane haven't even got a clue yet.... Ironic.

So they will be put under quarantine because some jerk made a hoax. If it were up to me, all those hoaxers would be put in prison for a few months.

Regards

Ikarus

bombayhog

Thu Nov 01, 2001 12:46 am

How did you happen to be informed by SQ staff about this?

9V-SPK
Topic Author

Thu Nov 01, 2001 12:50 am

SQ1 didn't turn to HNL because the flights is already halfway.Not close to HNL i should say.Don't ask me why it's not heading for Taipei, Tokyo, Seoul etc.I've no idea.

Pilots make all the decisions, and i think we should believe him.Maybe heading straight for Hong Kong would be better.It's only the 2 pilots that could make the best decision.We here on the ground won't know for the time-being what's happening up there till the plane is on the ground.

May god bless this is only a sick joke.

EGGD

Thu Nov 01, 2001 12:51 am

Maybe it was soap...

SInGAPORE_AIR

Thu Nov 01, 2001 1:08 am

The person (s) who did this have a sick mind. Do they realise that it has been a year since our beloved SQ6 crashed? Bloody cold-heatedness in the highest heavens. God curse them.
Anyone can fly, only the best Soar.

Banco

Thu Nov 01, 2001 1:10 am

I suspect EGGD is correct. It will be something along those lines. There have already been cases where the alert has gone out about white powder in the toilets on board aircraft and surprise, surprise it turns out to be baby powder. There are so many innocuous substances that take the form of white powder but in such troubled times no-one can afford to take the risk that it's something more. Even then it's probably accidental, rather than a malicious hoax.

It's nothing new, whenever there is an event of such magnitude then "overreactions" take place. I put that in inverted commas because there isn't really much choice. Remember after Chernobyl there was a mass panic every time there was the slightest problem at a nuclear power plant. It's just the nature of the beast, everyone is hyper-sensitive at the moment.

I really hope this is just another example.
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

Red Panda

Thu Nov 01, 2001 4:54 am

don't worry. it's very likely baby powder.

Wink/being sarcastic
R Panda

9V-SPK
Topic Author

Thu Nov 01, 2001 9:11 am

SQ 1 has landed safely at HKG international airport.
After authorities and staff boarded the plane everything seems to be fine.Looks like it's a joke then.

SQ1 is ready to depart for Singapore.

CX Flyboy

Thu Nov 01, 2001 10:01 am

Another example of 'money comes first'. If they had really suspected that it was antrax then why not divert? Tokyo is a good few hours closer than Hong Kong, and if it was anthrax, a few hours could mean the difference between 100 people being infected, and 200 people being infected. If they did not suspect it was anthrax, then why bother telling the authorities at all? Either it was suspected or it wasn't.

I am not singling out SQ here, as I am sure many tight fisted money grabbing airlines would have done the same by continuing, but imagine that it was anthrax. Imagine the critisism that SQ would have got for not diverting immediately. When it comes to safety, there should be no compromise. Bad SQ.

Singapore 777

Thu Nov 01, 2001 10:42 am

You know CXflyboy, that was something along my lines of thought. The pilot knew the powder could be something potentially like anthrax...he should have diverted immediately. Whether or not it was really anthrax, such risks should not have been taken. Imagine the 400 or so people on board the aircraft who could have been infected once the "anthrax" spores went into the aircraft air-conditioning unit. An aircraft cabin is a claustrophobic area and any spores or infection would spread very very quickly.

"Money comes first..." unfortunately so. SQ has not learnt its lesson it seems from the Taipei tragedy.

9V-SVA

Thu Nov 01, 2001 3:49 pm

What the hell? IF SQ1 were to divert to NRT all the passengers would be alarmed. The pilots and flight attendants would not allow that to happen.

Just think, if a Cathay flight were to encounter the same SICK joke, CXflyboy's colleagues might have done the same thing and continue flying to HKG!

9V-SVA  Big thumbs up
9V-SVA | B772ER

CX Flyboy

Thu Nov 01, 2001 4:07 pm

9V-SVA,

I agree with you, my colleagues might have done the same. My management would quite possibly have applied pressure to the crew to continue to HKG. If I was on board I would make it very very clear that I think it is a very bad idea. If the commander decides to continue then so be it, however I would not be happy and I would make that known, and if there a real incident I would make that known in the report.
However, whats wrong with having the passengers alarmed? In this case there WAS cause for alarm. If a white powder is found in the White House, don't they evacuate it? Doesn't that alarm people? Yes, but it's for their safety. If I was a passenger on SQ1, I would be alarmed that we did not divert and that I had to spend an extra few hours breathing stuff which was suspected as possibly being harmful. I would be extremely pissed off right now and would be writing a few very strongly worded letters to the management and to the civil aviation authority of Singapore.

9V-SVA

Thu Nov 01, 2001 4:10 pm

Yes, there was cause for alarm, but the captain decided not to tell the people for fear that they might riot in the plane, which is NOT conducive. Anyway, the toilet was SEALED and all ventilation to it was cut off.

9V-SVA  Big thumbs up
9V-SVA | B772ER

9V-SPK
Topic Author

Thu Nov 01, 2001 4:41 pm

It's very hard to say guys.

The powder was found ON the ground in the toilet, and was not spread over actually, but was in a bag.

In this situation, pilot could say that sealing the toilet would be already safe.And putting the powder in some box, or maybe the powder wasn't spread out.However, IF the powder was spread in the cabin, no doubt the pilot would make an emergency landing at the nearest airport!

And why did he not inform the passengers?Possibily because it was the CREW who found the powder.Also, it depends on lots of situations.I can't say who's wrong, who's right.But in my memories, SQ1 is the first airline to get this kind of "Threat" on such a long-haul route.

Sometimes the managements give pressure, but i heard that it was the pilot that made the decision.The powder was found after sometime, not just after takeoff.If SQ1 just left SFO, i'd agree with others turning the plane back to SFO.Also, if it was not the crew but a passenger that discovered the white powder...that'd be another story.So should it land or not?I can't tell.thank god everything was alright at the moment.

I also hope that SIA could make a news release.Media would be posting news of SQ1 tomorrow likely and i'll see what SIA HK station told the press.

Anyways, SQ1 departed for Singapore at 8:55, an hour behind scheldue.Thank god it was only a joke.

SInGAPORE_AIR

Thu Nov 01, 2001 5:03 pm

I agree with 9V-SPK. The crew did what they thought was best. Diverting to Narita would have alarmed passengers and that would just cause panic and could provide unwanted sub-situations.

SQ has been targeted quite heavily it seems since September 11. Three terrorist hoazxes, including one in Germany where the Megatoppy was accompanied with 2 German fighters, and now this. It's very sick and sad.

CX_Flyboy: If you were an SQ passenger on that flight you would not have been alarmed. You would not have known what was hapenning.

hkgspotter1

Thu Nov 01, 2001 5:13 pm

If I knew the truth I would have ASKED the pilot to land at the first airport in what ever county. This was very silly to continue to Hong Kong.

I would like to know what the pilots reason was for this.

If another SQ pilot did not want to ALARM the passengers he would have checked which runway he was using before taking off !!!, but thats another matter.

SInGAPORE_AIR

Thu Nov 01, 2001 5:17 pm

HKGSPOTTER1: HOW DARE YOU. Have you no heart whatsoever to our grievances? How dare you?! I cannot believe your lack of compassion and sympathy. How dare you! You horrible, nasty and totally out-of-order person.

Judging by your posts, I'd say that you were one of the people in the world that wanted Singapore Airlines to crash? Are you happy that 83 people perished.

How absurd! I cannot believe you! I am shocked. I just hope you're happy that 83 people died.

9V-SVA

Thu Nov 01, 2001 5:30 pm

I think that he might be happy if his favourite airline, Cathay crashed bringing down all the people on a certain flight. DAMN HYPOCRITE.

9V-SVA  Big thumbs up
9V-SVA | B772ER

9V-SPK
Topic Author

Thu Nov 01, 2001 5:31 pm

Hey Singapore_Air, nevermind.He has every right to post his opinions here.

Actually i know Daryl.I think he's forgotten me because we haven't had contacts for quite some time.He told me himself that he'd never travel on SQ and told me SQ pilots always make dangerous landings at Kai Tak and also told me pilots were inexcperienced for SIA if i remember correctly.

Doesn't really matter i should say.Different people have different views, just there are fans of Korean Air, which i'm quite honest to say I'm not.So Singapore_Air, you don't have to argue with HKSPOTTER1 actually.Because there are lots who hates SIA because it's one of the greatest airline or one of the worst airline and you won't have that much time to explain!

Ah anyways, you don't have to explain.Look at SIA.Proitable airline...new aircrafts...lots of passengers choose SIA!I think that explains

Let's remain a good relationship shall we people?

Best Regards

SInGAPORE_AIR

Thu Nov 01, 2001 7:59 pm

OK, but I'm still shocked someone could say such things.

9V-SPK
Topic Author

Thu Nov 01, 2001 8:22 pm

Don't worry.
Not many people could say sort of things...no offence but not from humans mouth i should say, except some bastards, cold-blooded and so on.Maybe 9V-SVA is right.

So Singapore_Air, taught you a lesson!Never behave like that!  Laugh out loud

Best Regards

hkgspotter1

Thu Nov 01, 2001 9:09 pm

9V-SPK,

How many times did you speak with me ??

How many times have you spoken to him ???

I spent a lot of time talking to you and look what you say to me now.

Thanks very much.

P.S. I do not have a best airline.

Cathay Pacific

Thu Nov 01, 2001 9:23 pm

i think SQ should have diverted to the nearest airport when the 'white powder' was discovered,

the reason i say this is because, no one knows how long the (packet of) powder has been sitting in the toilet for and if there is any 'hiding' in other places where no one has discovered yet....what if the person(s) who used the toilet before had contact with the powder and would he/she pass the powder to other pax???

also, it is always better to be safe than sorry, what if the white powder is really anthrax??? the few hours would make a lot of difference.......furthermore, the pilots are not professionals to disdinguish whether the powder is anthrax or not, so why take the risk......although the previous incidents from other airlines were some sick jokes...but who can guarantee this is also one of them??? who then will be responsible???

Smile/happy/getting dizzy Smile/happy/getting dizzy Smile/happy/getting dizzy Cathay Pacific......The Heart of Asia  Smile/happy/getting dizzy Smile/happy/getting dizzy Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Mr.BA

Thu Nov 01, 2001 9:41 pm

Don't flame me here, just my personal opinions. I think that the pilot should have diverted to Honolulu. My friend came across this news in Singapore about midnight where SQ 1 has about 7 hours of flight to Hong Kong. I agree with CX flyboy and the some others, the pilot should have diverted the flight to Honolulu. I strongly agree that passenger safety should be considered first then the others. Imagine you were a passenger onboard that flight and you were "risked" all the way to Hong Kong. I believe the captain have his reasons to continue to Hong Kong... maybe he thinks that there are enough security measures onboard. The risk might not be high, but there is still a risk. What if it is really Anthrax? I don't think anyone will want to endanger or put their lives at the slightest risk. But if it was me, I would have diverted the flight irregardless of any other circumstances, as passenger safety comes first before anything.

These are just my personal opinions.

alvin

Boeing747 万岁!

odie

Thu Nov 01, 2001 10:06 pm

OK. I do not want to side anyone here, but this is to MY personal opinion. I would had said this if it happens to any airline. They should really make a divertion to the nearest airport. The pilot should always benefit the doubt. If there's something suspicious on board, they should really inform the ground crew and seek immediate attention, and if possible, find the nearest airport with sufficient facilities to assist the problem in the aircraft. That's just my personal point of view. Just wondering how will the passengers inside the airplane feel when they found out that the pilot went on to Hong Kong without diverting the plane when they found some white powder in it, or when they hear it from the news instead of from the pilot himself/herself. I don't think the passengers will appreciate the pilot for flying for another couple of hours with the white powder in it and without informing them the risk of being exposed to anthrax.

Best regards.

Marara

Thu Nov 01, 2001 10:23 pm

I know i would have liked to have known what was going on. I also would have liked to have gotten off the plane ASAP.
I like work: it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours. Jerome K Jerome

9V-SPK
Topic Author

Thu Nov 01, 2001 11:06 pm

Hey HKSPOTTER1,

Actually i've talked to both you and Singapore_Air.And if it was Singapore_Air or someone else who spoke something you just said, i'd also flame at him.However, there's nothing to do with any discrimination or hateness.I treat everyone the same.What i wrote was my feeling, not against you or anyone.

But also i'd like to apoligize for my harshness.Actually, the words you wrote of the runway did make me a bit sick.However, i'd try another way to express myself.That was my own feeling actually.

Actually HKSPOTTER1, i've met you in person some year ago and talked to you about aviation.But i guess you won't have any memories!So actually...i've known you for more than....4 years!Just that we've not had any contacts.

Hope to discuss with you soon.  Laugh out loud

Best Regards

EGGD

Thu Nov 01, 2001 11:40 pm

Don't you think it would be better to have 200 alarmed passengers than 200 dead passengers?

I think SIA made the wrong decision..

carmy

Thu Nov 01, 2001 11:50 pm

It's sick how Hkgspotter can be so gleeful that there was an accident. sick sick sick.

Anyway, back to the topic, the commander makes the final decision. In any case, there's so much hysteria over white powder these days that I pity those poor souls who work at flour factories. Let's put it this way. If the Captain diverted to NRT or went back to HNL only to discover that it was a hoax, the passengers would make lots of noise and blame the Captain for wasting their time. All the SIA-haters on this forum would then accuse the Captain of over-reacting and so on and so forth.

On the other hand, if the Captain had just gone to HKG as he did this time round, everyone blames the Captain for not being mindful of the passengers' safety, irresponsible, unfeeling, devilish, evil, whatever. So it's basically a lose-lose situation. Whatever the Captain does, there'll be people unhappy. So why not just finish the flight, seal off the toilet, shut up about the entire affair, none of the passengers know about it, and all the passengers live happily ever after.

In any case, in the EXTREMELY unlikely scenario that the powder was anthrax, a few hours wouldn't have made a difference to the passengers. Just my personal opinion, but if he lands in NRT, the Japanese doctors give antibiotics. If he lands in HKG, the HKG doctors give antibiotics. Anthrax is lethal but not that lethal. A couple of hours wouldn't have made a difference to the effectiveness of the antibiotics. Go to WebMD if you need to find out more.

Just my personal opinion.

9V-SPK
Topic Author

Fri Nov 02, 2001 12:02 am

Here's what i got after SQ1 landed in C.L.K.

When SQ1 landed, airport authorities and staff immediately boarded the plane.Detecters were used to detect if any virus or those kind of things were found.When nothing was found in the toilet and the plane, passengers were allowed to board off the plane.All took 30 minutes and no passengers were shocked or got unpleasent.And then continued to Singapore after 55 minutes delay.

I agree with Carmy actually.However, the problem is not just to land in HNL or NRT, the problem is if the plane HAS to land, no matter where, just the nearest airport.Just like Carmy said, commander makes the last and most important decision.I really won't say whos fault, but if it was in very dangerous situation, the plane would have to land immediately.However if nothing was found ans the passeners had to be delayed or so, and got themselves frightened when got news of the white powder, but after detecting it was only some "Salt", so the passengers might blame the pilot and the airline.And people here would say SQ is just OVERACTING or so.

Overall, i believe there's no correct answer - To land or Not.It's all up to the pilots decision, and that's it.maybe there are also such kinds of situations on different airlines, different routes...just that you won't know, same as SQ1.Lucky i got the news and had heard different opinions on this forum.Seems that everyone here have its own point i should say.

Best Regards

johnboy

Fri Nov 02, 2001 12:58 am

This is sounding like a Monty Python skit.

If this were anthrax, I would think everyone would take antibiotics anyway. Whether you travel 9 hours or 14 hours. Whether you land in Tokyo, Taipei, or Hong Kong. I'm sure most of the people will anyway.

Ahh, the good old days....when everybody was happy to see some white powder (snort, snort).

SInGAPORE_AIR

Fri Nov 02, 2001 1:25 am

On another note, would this have happenned if 9 / 11 didn't ocurr? I think not.

31 October 2000 - SQ006 RIP

Cathay Pacific

Fri Nov 02, 2001 1:31 am

but 9/11 did happened and that is why there are anthrax mail in the US..which led to the death of 4(?) people

CX Flyboy

Fri Nov 02, 2001 11:05 am

I would much much rather have an airline over react to safety than one which didn't react enough, and as a result, possibly endangered the lives of the passengers.

Imagine this scenario; someone telephones an airline to say he has placed a bomb on board a long haul flight, which is already airborne. Flight Operations determines that this is a genuine call and not a kid playing around so they alert the flight crew. Whilst still halfway across the Pacific, they do a cabin search, and in one of the toilets, they find a suspicious looking box full of wires and stuff, but obviously not connected to anything and obviously not a bomb. Happy, the crew and airline decide to fly onwards. An hour after passing overhead Toyko a bomb explodes on board bringing the aircraft down. Now does everyone agree it's a stupid decision to continue?

Let's say in this SQ incident that it was indeed anthrax. It was in a bag, sealed, in a sealed toilet and the crew are fairly confident that none escaped the bag. So they decide to continue. It is obvious that someone purposely planted the bag there with intent to harm people. Is it guaranteed that that bag was the only one on board? No. It is guaranteed that the person who placed the bag there is not on board? No. Is it guaranteed that this person who might be on board is not going to do something else harmful to the aircraft and passengers? No. What would have been clear, if it was indeed anthrax was that someone was clearly intending to kill people.........but the crew decide to continue to HKG anyway. Very smart.

Safety is not something you can overreact to.

carmy

Fri Nov 02, 2001 12:26 pm

CX_flyboy: I think you're comparing apples aith oranges here. If there was a bomb threat, any reasonable person would land the plane immediately and evacuate all passengers. Perfectly reasonable, and if the Commander doesn't do it, he's either an idiot or he has a really good reason. But in this case, anthrax is a different story altogether.

Anthrax is NOT sarin gas or a bomb waiting to go off. It doesn't kill on the spot. It takes time, usually around a week, to develop and a few hours would have made absolutely zero difference to the effectiveness of the antibiotics. Any person who contracts anthrax will be given antibiotics, wherever the captain chooses to land. The point is that even IF the captain had decided to land in NRT, the only thing caused would have been widespread panic. So why not just continue with the flight and land in HKG where the HKG airport authorities would do whatever is neccessary. The safety of the passengers was never compromised on.

If the captain had landed in NRT, you get the NRT authorities checking the powder, only to discover it to be a hoax. As a result, you get irritated passengers who blast the airline for over reacting and being foolish and so on.

However, if the captain had landed in HKG as he did, you get the HKG authorities checking the powder to discover it to be a hoax. As a result, you get happy passengers who are none the wiser and pleased that they made it to HKG on time.

To me, I'd think that the latter option is really the lesser of two evils. But hey, that's just my personal opinion.

aviasian

Fri Nov 02, 2001 12:38 pm

I would like to congratulate Carmy for taking this discussion back on track.

Hkgspotter1's reference to the SQ6 accident is sick, in bad taste and possibly indicate the joy with which he greeted news of the accident. How can a person hate an airline so much that 83 lives mean nothing! Hkgspotter1 would have been devastated if someone bombed McDonalds - between peddling his shots of planes in the midst of hellish landing attempts at Kai Tak, he is sustained by his burgers and fries.

It is funny how there is so much of 20/20 hindsight on this forum. The Captain certainly must have considered the many possibilities before making the best decision he could at that point in time.

Sitting in front of your computer in the comfort of home or office, it is easier to say that you would have made this or that decision . . . try a little dose of empathy.

Thanks Carmy.

KC Sim
Bangkok

CX Flyboy

Fri Nov 02, 2001 1:28 pm

I think you are all blowing HKGspotter1's comment way out of proportion and over reacting, but, that's my opinion.

9V-SVA

Fri Nov 02, 2001 1:42 pm

Thanks Carmy for explaining it to the CX fans who always blast SIA at the slightest little thing.

Obviously you do not understand. A bomb can kill in an instant, and the Captain must divert to the nearest airport, as it is Flight Operations rules.

Anthrax is no threat. If the toilet WAS SEALED, explain to me how the anthrax spores can get to the air-conditioning ducts?

Anyway, if it were real anthrax, the pilot would continue on to its immediate destination and inform authorities, in this case HKG.

It also takes a long time before you can see the symptoms of anthrax, and antibiotics for anthrax ARE THE SAME IN BOTH HONG KONG AND JAPAN! There is no difference!

CX Flyboy, how would you like it if you diverted to find it was a hoax and angry passengers starting to blast you for wasting their time which they could have spent visiting famous landmarks or seeing long-lost relatives!

You also might get a D.I. by Flight Operations for diverting without reason, as it was a hoax.

Would you want that to happen? Obviously not.

Or would you want to continue to the immediate destinations and have happy passengers thank you for getting them there in time?

If I was a pilot, I'd choose the second option. Think about it.

9V-SVA  Big thumbs up
9V-SVA | B772ER

Fri Nov 02, 2001 1:52 pm

Cocaine.... Big thumbs up

9V-SPK
Topic Author

Fri Nov 02, 2001 2:09 pm

To everyone,

Seems that all of you would only agree on one suggestion.Either land or continue, either inform or not.

Here I would like to make a short analys.

SQ1 - SFO to SIN via HKG.Departed at midnight.

The White Powder was found in the toilet after 4 hours of journey, and SQ crew discovered the white Powder.So uptil here there's no problem.But then......

1st Problem:Should the pilot announce the Anthrax threat to passengers or to remain silence?

2nd Problem:Should the pilot land at the nearest airport or continue the journey?

3rd Problem:What if it is a hoax or it really is a Anthrax crisis?

Everyone of you should know that there are different people, different nationalities, different trusts, different behaviiours of people onboard.Some Businessmen might want to get to the destination as soon as possible.Some couples would not want their honeymoons disturbed.Some people might be scared and be crazy if they got the news.Some people might be afraid of flying.Some kids might cry.....etc etc.Don't tell me there needs a vote or something, because after the vote the plane might have already landed.

Not just ONE passnenger is onboard the plane.There were hundreds, and they have different thoughts.So what can the pilot do?Get downstairs, ask their opinions and so on?No way.He doesn't have to.He's the commander.And so he chose to land in Hong Kong.

Maybe when SQ1 arrived and it did arrive fortunately, it was only a joke, some SALT we assume.So it's an hoax.So what about if the plane landed at HNL/NRT?the buinessmen would be mad or something like that, and then blame the airline?ON THE OTHER HAND, travellers would say "Thank God It Was A Joke".So again there's no correct answer if the plane should have landed.

And assume it was Anthax.Did it affect the passengers?WILL it effect the passengers?I don't know.It's not a bomb, that's for sure.Some might say sealing the toilet is very safe already, some might say it's still not safe.So AGAIN, arguments.

Most of the posts here are just personal opinions and our own ideas.But actually we would have to think further, think of a bigger area.There's no correct answer.If the pilot think it's safe, continue the flight, no big deal.If he thinks it's in a very dangerous situation, then he'd land.And if it was really Anthrax?Well that's another story.

Best Regards

sin777er

Fri Nov 02, 2001 2:13 pm

Very Well said, 9V-SPK.

carmy

Fri Nov 02, 2001 2:43 pm

Hear! hear!

CX Flyboy

Fri Nov 02, 2001 3:54 pm

I have stated all along that it is my opinion. The SQ commander is free to do as he wishes. He is the commander. However if I were on his crew I would make it known that I was not happy. You all seem to prefer not to err on the safe side. That's fine. 99% of the time, it is a hoax, and afterwards there will be no court hearing, no arrests, no passengers ill, injured or dead....99% of the time.

I am sure that many incidents and accidents have crew thinking 'Ah, if only I'd known" or "If only I did this instead of that". Hindsight is a wonderful thing but foresight is something special and it seems ratyher lacking these days. As I said 99% of the time if you play it safe, you are probably overreacting, you'd say. When that last 1% comes along, every single passenger and manager would be thanking you for being so safe all the time.

I would happily explain to the DFO that on board my aircraft, safety comes first, and if he wishes to challenge me on that, I am sure the union, newspapers and civil aviation authority would be very interested to hear from me. I would also happily explain to passengers that on board my aircraft, safety comes first, and if they wish to pressurise the crew to compromise safety in order to reach their destination quickly, then they are flying the wrong airline and they would be better off on other airlines known for that kind of behaviour.

9V-SVA,

I find it incredible that you suggest holding off immediate medication to infected people because the symptoms don't immediately reveal themselves! Why did the authorities immediately evacuate all the infected buildings in the US. They would have lost productivity by closing! Why not just continue working till the weekend then vaccinate and medicate everyone? Symptoms would not have shown so quickly anyway right? Incredible, absolutely incredible.
Another thing. Please tell me how to seal off a toilet along with the airconditioning to that toilet inflight. Maybe it can be done, I am not sure, but there's certainly nothing in my manuals about that, and we don't fly around with engineers on board.

ryu2

Fri Nov 02, 2001 4:10 pm

These hoaxes seem to be very frequent. Maybe planes should carry field anthrax testing kits, and at least one FA should be trained to use them?

They work by identifying the presence of certain genetic markers. A positive result MAY indicate anthrax or one of several other types in the same family; a negative result will rule out the possibility (unless the quantity was too low, which probably isn't the case here).

My guess was that it was baby powder? After all, if you want to take care of a baby, you go to the restroom, right?

9V-SVA

Fri Nov 02, 2001 4:42 pm

CX flyboy, I am not holding off immediate vaccination, but just by delaying it for one or two hours will not make a difference. As for the buildings, they ARE ON GROUND! People can just evacuate easily!

Planes fly in the air, and I tell you, it takes at least half an hour to execute a landing. How do you explain not holding off the vaccination? Unless you tell me you can execute a landing in five minutes, then OK, i take my hat off to you.

9V-SVA  Big thumbs up
9V-SVA | B772ER