Real Madrid Plane Suffers Engine Fire

Thu Nov 01, 2001 3:10 am

Real Madrid CF were involved in a mid-air scare when the plane carrying them home from their UEFA Champions League match against FC Lokomotiv Moscow caught fire.
Flew on one engine
The Spanish champions were returning to Spain after their 2-0 defeat in the Russian capital on Tuesday when the drama started. Two squad members noticed flames coming out of one of the engines on the Futura Boeing 737 plane soon after take-off.
Emergency landing
The pilot immediately turned back and was forced to make an emergency landing, but the plane touched down safely. It later emerged the plane had been in collision with a flock of seagulls.
‘Worst moment’
Madrid, who had travelled without star names Zinedine Zidane and Luis Figo, had included the likes of Steve McManaman, Fernando Morientes and Iván Helguera in their squad. Helguera called the episode the “worst moment of my life”.
Valdano shocked
Sports and communication general director Jorge Valdano was also shocked. "You realise that everything could finish in a minute. It just gives you time to say goodbye to yourself,” he said.
Day off
Those involved were set to be given the day off on Wednesday, while players who did not make the trip trained for the Primera División match against FC Barcelona on Sunday.

Taken from UEFA.COM

RE: Real Madrid Plane Suffers Engine Fire

Thu Nov 01, 2001 3:33 am

Thanks for the info, Everett, WA...

It's pretty interesting to hear this. Does anybody have more information on the aircraft (or the type) used by Real.

Although I might be wrong, I can very well imagine they just chartered a cheap plane or something, just so they can say they have their own private aircraft..

Maybe next time they'll travell by train or bus?

Ivan Coninx - Brussels Aviation Photography