kaitak

Kuala Lumpur - One Of The Best!

Mon Nov 05, 2001 12:05 pm

I've just spent the last few days in KUL (not all at the airport!) and I have to say I find Kuala Lumpur one of the nicest airports I have ever visited. Here's a few points . . .

- The setting is beautiful - lush greenery, lots of attention given to landscaping and plants.
- Architecture is superb; lots of glass, bright and airy atmosphere
- Excellent hotel, very good value (particularly compared to HKG) and excellent views. I had room 908, which had superb views across the runway. Acft, even of 777 size, do need a 400mm lens, but great shots nonetheless.
- A fine viewing area. I thought, particularly having heard reports about spotters being arrested in BKK, that the Malaysians would not like photography, but there's no "no photography" stickers and no security people in the observation area, to warn people against it. Better still, arriving aircraft (in most cases) taxi right in front of the terminal (over a bridge, above the satellite link railway) on their way to the international area.
- Excellent shopping.
- One of a new chain of airport lounges has opened here (I'm here now!), equipped with email, internet etc.

How does it compare? I prefer it to HKG (not by much, but HKG should have a decent viewing area), it's on a par with Changi. It's deficiency is that the pace of traffic sometimes bears a strong resemblance of paint drying, yet also - like the many varieties of Crown paints - the colours look superb when they do appear. Overall: A+

(See trip report on that forum later on: I'm flying MH to HKG, on a 777. . . )

Skystar

RE: Kuala Lumpur - One Of The Best!

Mon Nov 05, 2001 3:21 pm

The only problem with KLIA is its location - it's so far from KL!

A nice airport? Certainly.

Cheers,

Justin

Air Taiwan

Mon Nov 05, 2001 3:22 pm

great!!

aviasian

Mon Nov 05, 2001 3:38 pm

Nothing to do with KLIA, but just wish to clarify Kaitak's comments about photographers being arrested in BKK.

Both photographers got into sticky situation because there weren't photographing from the designated observation areas.

Senil Gupta was at a location north of the airfield and also near to the military base.

A Japanese photographer - Aichi Ochima was arrested for photographing from the fourth floor of an unused building within Don Muang Airport. He got into trouble for having an airband radio.

I have just finished a weekend's photography from the observation deck, and saw at least two other photographers . . . none of us was arrested.

For any photographer intending to come out to BKK, do leave your airband radio at home.

KC Sim
Bangkok

ola

Mon Nov 05, 2001 3:53 pm

It´s really nice airport. I´ve been there four times. It´s quite peaceful but very fine. I like that train which goes between domestic and international terminals.

swiss-airplane

Mon Nov 05, 2001 4:32 pm

Definitly KLIA is one of the best airports in the world. I was last year in Asia and travelled through Kuala Lumpur, Singapore and Hong Kong airport and the airport from Kuala Lumpuer was amazing and excellent. Hong Kong airport is also very nice, same as Singapore airport.
I love those asian airports and hope to come back to aisa soon.
Greetings
Mike

FaisZ

Mon Nov 05, 2001 4:37 pm

I've been there too. It's great aesthetically, especially the glass conical thing with all the trees but the monorail system is annoying and inefficient, especially when u come out from a flight and everybody is trying to squeeze in.

ola

Tue Nov 06, 2001 12:01 am

FaisZ-> I didn´t have that problem with monorail. Maybe it´s because it wasn´t a rush hour.

That garden was great!

airmale

Tue Nov 06, 2001 1:08 am

Incase you didnt know KLIA was voted the #2 best airport in Asia Smile
.....up there with the best!

odie

Tue Nov 06, 2001 1:21 am

FaisZ: They will upgrade the monorail to 3 coaches from the current two if there is a need for it. But now, it's only peak hours that the train are full, i.e. early morning and evening. In the afternoon, the airport is quite empty as there the flights that depart/arrive into Kuala Lumpur in the afternoon is mostly from Asia. But there are already some airline cutting their capacity into Kuala Lumpur already as the traffic is dropping, so you might not find that many people now.

About the distance from the city, it won't be that noticeable once the new rail link opens that will connect passengers into downtown Kuala Lumpur in less than one half hour if i am not mistaken. And furthermore, it's very cheap, about $10 USD one way. It's even cheaper than other major rail link like the Heathrow Express and Gatwick Express.

It had a really nice layout and it looks even better at night with the lighting! The only setback is there's not enough international airline flying into it. Most of the airlines operating into Kuala Lumpur are Asian airlines, so not really a good place to spot, if you are into it.

Regards.

adol

Tue Nov 06, 2001 2:01 am

The new rail link (ERL) sure cut a lot of time traveling from KLIA to KL centre. You can even check-in in the city terminal (called KL Sentral) provided that your are originating from XKL, not KUL. You still have to check-in in KLIA if your ticket mention KUL. The ride will be about 35 minutes. It maybe cheap for foreigner (RM35, less than USD $10 - USD $1 = RM3.80), but it is very expensive for a Malaysian (at least for me!). Airfare from my hometown Kuching - KCH is about RM272(normal)/RM192(tourist flight); the ride will cost me extra 12.9%/18.2% of my airfare! Still, it is cheaper to use budget limosines which cost you about RM66 per car that takes up 4 passengger. The ERL can be consider cheap if your are travelling alone. Sure KLIA is a very nice airport.

Sat Nov 17, 2001 12:09 pm

I have always wanted to visit Kuala Lumpier.

It looks very beautiful there.

bhtchuo

Sat Nov 17, 2001 2:52 pm

it is the best airport n the world. i've never been to the satelite building but the main terminal building is enough to judge them the best.
the best part its all its lighting is energy saving... where the use minimal bulb but can get the most light from it by using reflexion of the light.. next time u cam to kul.. do observe the lighting system.. u'll be amazed!
if u got time, u can go up to the departing level and go out to the entrance where u can watch air craft rotating and lift off.. and smell the diesel fuming the atmosphere

MAS777

Mon Nov 19, 2001 8:34 am

will be there again - arriving on MH7 in a weeks time!

odie

Mon Nov 19, 2001 11:17 am

Been there last month! And it was great, just that it was not many foreign carriers operating there! Hopefully, with the deregulation, more airlines will fly into KUL, or at least stay for those planning to leave!

Regards.