LAX

Best & Worst Meals You've Had In The Air?

Wed Nov 07, 2001 3:29 pm

What was your best culinary experience while aboard an airliner?

Worst?

Here's an interesting article regarding airline foodservices, with stats on what airline spends the most on your meal..........

http://sns.chicagotribune.com/travel/sns-bt-airlinefood.story

Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile

AFC_Ajax00

RE: Best & Worst Meals You've Had In The Air?

Wed Nov 07, 2001 3:52 pm

AF Espace Premiere, CDG-HK 777-200ER very nice meal and flight overalll
Worst: JFK-CDG, my family and i were going back to paris after a Xmas in NY, we all were in business class in a 747-400 and as i started to eat the foie gras, i saw something, move i lifted up my knapkin and there was a cockroach there!!!!!! no joke, so I called the pursor and all he did was offer me a new meal, it was so disgusting.
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward; for there you long to return

paulc

Wed Nov 07, 2001 4:34 pm

Best - Wardair LGW-YYZ
Worst - Garuda - MEL-JAK
English First, British Second, european Never!

rwy31r

Wed Nov 07, 2001 5:03 pm

Best..
Saudi Arabian Airlines RUH-MNL (747-300).. First class's Alfursan meal (an open buffett that comes to you)

Worst..
Gulf Air AUH-DOH-RUH (A320-200).. economy class.. let's just say that the "so called" orange juice and pound cake were expired.
(funny thing is that thier meals on AUH-BKK-HKG on 767-300 were very good)
"Saudia Three Five hold short Three One Right"

LAX

Wed Nov 07, 2001 5:25 pm

Question ...... On the rare occasion that a passenger would like MORE airline food, will most airlines just give you a second portion??

Cathay Pacific

Wed Nov 07, 2001 5:35 pm

if there spare, i'm sure they will, at least CX will....
cathay pacific, now you're really flying

megatop

Wed Nov 07, 2001 5:55 pm

I must say, that both the best and the worst meals have been on BA longhoul flights in economy class.

Back in 1988 I was flying between Hong Kong and London on a BA 747-200. The meal was very good, shrimpcocktail and steak.

I just got back from a trip from Australia. On my way home, I was flying from Singapore to London on BA747-400. The breakfast was just "non eatable". You would not even get your dog that kind of meal. BETTER LUCK NEXT BA.

Megatop

9V-SPK

Wed Nov 07, 2001 6:53 pm

On all SQ First Class flights, no matter Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Dinner or Supper, i always enjoyed the meals from appetite to the main dish to deserts and a cup of beverage.

On a QF flight i had the most terrible meal i've ever had.On SYD-BNE some years ago, served us sandwiches, no other choices.Cold, hard, no ingredients i should say, and it's only 2 loafs of bread.Oh well...that's only an exception, as the year after travelled to Cairns, had a wonderful hot meal that surprised me.

But it's still gonna be the worst meal i've ever had for the time-being.  Laugh out loud

Best Regards

hugo

Wed Nov 07, 2001 8:31 pm

Worst meal: Iberia Business class from Madrid to Rome...It was an inedible corn-chicken combo. My best was on lunch on CX first class Manila -Hong Kong: Grilled half lobster with a delicious sauce. I have taken other long-haul flights in F class with CX, but this was simply the best main I have ever tried aloft.

hoons90

Wed Nov 07, 2001 8:55 pm

In buisness class of a Korean Air 747-400 I received steak! I was in the upper deck
The biggest mistake made by most human beings: Listening to only half, understanding just a quarter and telling double.

BestWestern

Wed Nov 07, 2001 9:09 pm

Best meal service within Europe has to be BMI british Midland dinner service in Business class. On an hour long service from CDG - LHR they manage to serve:

Water before take off
Hot towel
Drinks service

Meal tray with Starter (usually a salad)
Main course (choice of two - veg meal usually excellent)
Desert (cheese board)

with drinks.

and then Icecream or frozen yogurt.

hot towel.

My Nov 1st MAD - LHR service ranks amongst my most pleasurable short haul flight.. 3 people in Business class, and an excellent crew member looking after us!

Worst service

Has to be Iberia. Service whats that?

You are 100 times more likely to catch a cold on a flight than an average person!

Midwest Express

Wed Nov 07, 2001 10:33 pm

I can't believe we're talking about meal service and no one has mentioned YX...even if the tray size and portions are smaller. It's still the best domestic U.S. service.