174thfwff
Topic Author

American Airlines Fear?

Tue Nov 13, 2001 4:50 am

Hello everyone,
I don't want this to become a flame war, because I will put it out  Big grin.

Seriously speaking, American Airlines is a every day word now, in a bad way. Even though it's not their fault, the hijackers did chose to use American Airline's aircraft, and now with the crash today it seems as though American is now a airline NOT to fly to the non-informed public. People I listened to today at the local university said that they will never fly American Airlines for a long time, and Same with some adults I have talked with.

I can assume that a lot more people across the country are thinking the same way.

This all this is true, it will come down to loss of business which will in turn, make the company go out of business.

Would anyone like to comment in a grown up way, and please no flaming or anything. This is a serious post...

-Peace In-
174th
Brooklyn, Queens, Manhattan, Staten, Uptown, what now? Lets make it happen.

BlatantEcho

RE: American Airlines Fear?

Tue Nov 13, 2001 5:13 am

Of course people will shy away. People naturally gravitate away from things they don't understand.

If people around you are saying they will avoid AA though, mention that they should also sell their autos and invest in a nice pair of walking shoes.

Honestly, this must be terribly hard on the people @ American, my heart really does go out to everyone there. No reason at all not to fly AA, in fact, if I was flying tommorow, I would be more inclined to fly AA just to show my support for them.

You must rememeber though, "What the American people don't know, is what makes them the American people" Don't know after all this, what it will take to make us a little more aware of things around us.

May the souls of those now departed rest in peace,
BlatantEcho
They're not handing trophies out today

jwenting

Tue Nov 13, 2001 5:19 am

Not just AA. Colleagues today said they won't fly anymore no matter what the airline or reason.
They'll probably come around when they go planning their summer vacation next year, but still.
I wish I were flying

heavymetal

Tue Nov 13, 2001 6:02 am

AA flew me safely home last week....the last segment into Hurricane Michelle....a Category 3/4 hurricane.

http://www.airliners.net/discussions/trip_reports/read.main/14318/

I'd step onto an AA jet this afternoon.

IrishFlyer

Tue Nov 13, 2001 6:06 am

I avoid them, However I have been avoiding them before today's crash & the Sept. 11th tragedies.

~IrishFlyer~

Dragon Lady

Tue Nov 13, 2001 6:12 am

I would rather fly AA than any other US airline right now. First of all the crashes weren't their fault and they seem to be concentrating more on their security and safety than any other US airline.

Alexandria

chepos

Tue Nov 13, 2001 6:17 am

If I had a flight with them tomorrow I would definitely fly them, but to most travellers they now look to AA as an unsafe airline.
Chepos
Fly the Flag!!!!

AJ

Tue Nov 13, 2001 6:20 am

One of the downsides of being a behemoth airline is that, statistically, you are more prone to suffering an accident somewhere in your fleet.
A classic example is Aeroflot, notorious for it's USSR accident record. Per flight, however, the record was not as bad. The problem is that thousands of airliners and helicopters carried the AEROFLOT name.
Take away the titles on the aircraft and merge all the airlines on the world and do a 'Pepsi challenge' with all accidents and the spread is vast. The same principle applies to the safety record of the U.S.A. versus the Cook Islands, apples and oranges!

che

Tue Nov 13, 2001 6:23 am

I have flown AA many times and have nothing but the best to say for them. Unfortunalty the general public will start to blame AA. Sept 11 was not AA's fault and really neither is this. Accident happen. This was the worst time for this to happen to AA and the airline industry. I feel sorry for the thoudsands of AA employees who work hard to make AA great safe airline to fly. Hopefully we can all to start to recover from this and sept 11

che

Jj

Tue Nov 13, 2001 6:25 am

Only thing i can tell you is that I've spoken with several neighbours who where planning to trave to miami.
They had tickets for American Airlines, but after the queens crash, they've changed'em for the Delta flight to Atlanta, and then they'll change planes to Miami. They where really scared about American's security in the last two months, and sweared not to trevel American anymore.

Now if these happens throughout the country, the it'll be a serious situation for American Airlines

pshifrin

Tue Nov 13, 2001 6:28 am

Remember in the early 90's people would avoid USAir because of all their crashes. Sadly, I knew someone who did just that and then died in the crash of an American Eagle ATR72 on 10/31/94.

milemaster

Tue Nov 13, 2001 6:30 am

I don't think it'll be a case of people blaming AA specifically for these accidents. I think people now feel most likely to end up in a disaster on an AA flight more than any other. It's using the same incorrect logic as the Roulette players who bet on black or red simply because one came up 8x in a row. It's still the same odds regardless...

We humans are strange in that way..

MAC100

Tue Nov 13, 2001 6:46 am

AA is a great airline, I will continue to fly with them

zionstrat

Tue Nov 13, 2001 7:06 am

Before 9/11 I took plenty of shots at AA as they had a near monopoly on my airport and the service was abysmal-

But now I only fly AA in hopes of getting the message through to my colleagues and the general public -- 9/11 wasn't AA's fault and air travel is still safer than I40 at rush hour.

bombayhog

Tue Nov 13, 2001 7:41 am

I'm flying AA to LHR next week and I'm not going to let this stop me now. I will feel aprehensive- I think it's only human to feel that way- I just hope that everyone with tickets on AA will recognize that it'll do no good to run away from AA because of these incidents.

/gwl

174thfwff
Topic Author

Tue Nov 13, 2001 7:54 am

Yea, as I said in my origional post..."American is now a airline NOT to fly to the non-informed public."
I would fly them tomorrow also, but they have had very bad luck within the past 3 months.

-Peace In-
174th

Brooklyn, Queens, Manhattan, Staten, Uptown, what now? Lets make it happen.

SInGAPORE_AIR

Tue Nov 13, 2001 8:02 am

No way AA.

As shown by SIA, people don't flock away in a desperate fear. They do understand athat these tragedies to happen from time to time. SIA managed to keep it's passengers. I'm sure a large airline like AMR will as well.

RIP - AA578
Anyone can fly, only the best Soar.

American 767

Tue Nov 13, 2001 8:10 am

For as long as American Airlines exists, I'll always fly with them whenever I go to the United States, I've never had problems with them. I still think that air travel is the safest transportation there is, it's safer than driving.

Ben Soriano
Brussels Belgium
Ben Soriano

9V-SPK

Tue Nov 13, 2001 8:39 am

I still can't believe AA crashed again......
I myself would avoid every U.S airline if possible, however if no choice i would put AA as my last choice.
Of course i'd see what the investigations say.
But i've lost the faith for the time-being, though i've travelled on them twice...but for the time-being...too bad.

Best Regards

Skystar

RE: Singapore_Air

Tue Nov 13, 2001 8:57 am

I think the social climate in which the SQ crash occurred was quite different to what has happened in the US, and hence AA will probably take a bit of a hit.

Another very sad day for American aviation.

Cheers,

Justin

VirginA340

Tue Nov 13, 2001 9:18 am

I will not fly any US airline until their security strenthens and they fire micky mouse security companies like ArgenBright based in Chicago. It look like Amtrak and Greyhound will be good enough.
"FUIMUS"

milemaster

Tue Nov 13, 2001 9:32 am

I agree..

It's a no-brainer... Federalize airport security NOW.

I Don't care about how current employees can be re-trained... I Don't care about the possibility of paying higher amounts to security workers to reduce turnover... I Don't care if it makes the unemployment lines just a little longer... and I certainly don't care if airlines chose to do it themselves.

It's not going to help... and if for some reason it did, I still wouldn't be convinced.

It's time we wake up and smell what the rest of the world has been doing for years and realize that it makes the most sense.

AIR757200

Tue Nov 13, 2001 9:37 am

Like what many have stated, AA is not to blame for 9/11. And what happened today was an accident. CNN said it right; Yes, lots of coverage occur when planes go down, b/c they hardly go down, but these things in the sky are machines. Things happen to machines, despite our best way of maintaining them.

Yes, people will fear to fly, just like people are affraid of spiders.

God Bless,
AIR757200

jgardner

Tue Nov 13, 2001 9:39 am

VirginA340 and Milemaster:

I strongly agree. How is that a guy armed the hilt with a private arsenal including a stun gun can get past ORD security? Gross Incompetance.

Federalize. I don't mind paying the extra taxes if it is going to make air travel safer.

NWA ARJ

Tue Nov 13, 2001 11:09 am

I know i will never fly american airlines. 3 crashes in the past three months. Terribble I will just stick with NWA

ARJ
Nightmare 68, Fargo Tower, Runway 36, Fly Runway Heading, Mantain 10,000, Cleared For Takeoff, Change To Departure

Dazed767

Tue Nov 13, 2001 11:13 am

That's stupid not to fly them because of 3 crashes in 3 months (2 not their fault). I just flew them 2 weeks ago (one being on an A300, oddly enough we had a mechanical too), but I would fly them tomorrow if I had to.

bacardi182

Tue Nov 13, 2001 11:18 am

I am flying with AA next wedsday, they will be the safest airline in the sky. They have had 3 crashes in the last 3 months, what are the chances of a fourth crash happening any time soon? I would be more scared to fly with delta or NWA, their number could be coming up soon!

Anyways, i am going to walk down my stairs now, which is much more dangerous then flying on an airplane.

Super Em

Tue Nov 13, 2001 11:20 am

An accident can happen at any time. One may say home is the safest place to be but look at how hundreds lost their lives. Auto accidents happen every day but yet we drive everyday dont we? I will not let this change my view of aviation.

UNITED777ORD

Tue Nov 13, 2001 11:25 am

I read an article stating that the last major overhaul maintenance was done to this American A-300 back in December 1999?? Why so long?? or is this a typical time period for major maintenance to be performed on aircraft?

lubcha132

Tue Nov 13, 2001 11:28 am

safety isn't my concern with aa-

F/A's who are spawns from hell are.

i stick to CO

Singapore 777

Tue Nov 13, 2001 11:31 am

I really pity AA and its staff now. I realize that 9/11 was not their fault and this might not also be their fault but then again, who knows? The public IS misinformed, and it's again all because the media overhypes every single thing.

Can you imagine? Even before any confirmed reports were issued, FOXnews actually showed pictures and videos of a Boeing 767 in house colours, only to be proven later that it was actually an Airbus A300. That must be one hell of an embarassment.

UNITED777ORD

Maintenance On Aircraft?

Tue Nov 13, 2001 11:31 am

How often is major maintenance supposed to be performed on Commercial Airline aircraft in the US??
In my opinion it should be done every 3-6 months not a full year or two!!!

LV

Tue Nov 13, 2001 2:47 pm

Virgin A340
Amtrak? Havent you heard? Congress told Amtrak time is up, the have 60 days to come up with a liquidation plan. Considering everything that is going on right now I can't image the timing being any worse. The need for Amtrak is now, more than ever.

Everyone,
Anyway, I will fly AA just to show my support for them. If somebody told me I had to be on an AA flight in two hours I wouldn't think twice about it. I look at it this way, there is what? 5600 commerical flights a day in United States airspace? How often does this happen?

I challenge everyone on here to try to educate one person to the reality of flying and not the BS that CNN, Fox and MSNBC has been feeding the public. And who the heck was that guy on MSNBC today, the so called avation expert? Geez, he had it all wrong

Sorry to go on a soapbox
LV

We're Nuts

Tue Nov 13, 2001 3:04 pm

American Airlines, bad luck regardless, is now the world's statistically least-safe airline. Although I would still not hesitate to fly them.
Dear moderators: No.

helomech

Tue Nov 13, 2001 5:30 pm

The American people should not fear an airline just because a few of its aircraft have been lost. Things just go bad sometimes. Me personally, I would not have a problem boarding any aircraft of any airline. Why? because I choose to ACCEPT the risks of flying. I realize one day I am not going to be so lucky and something will happen...but you try to beat the odds and continue to fly. I guess I can accept the risks because I too am a pilot (not a professional pilot yet!) but I do fly myself around the islands here in Japan--mostly over water--but I never think about crashing or a problem arising. I trust the maintenance personnel servicing the aircraft and I trust my abilities as a pilot...but some things are beyond my control...i.e. bad weather, mechanical failures, hijackings, etc. Flying is dangerous--period. But you can choose to accept the relatively small risk of flight or take the big risk of getting on America's major highways and deal with drunk drivers, road rage, and other hazards...I would take my chances with the flying! Not that driving is a bad thing--but I feel its a little safer to fly (and quicker!) I have a meager 53 flight hours as pilot in command, and I have crossed the Pacific (as a passenger) 8 times--no fear for this crazy leatherneck! And Yes, those Pac crossings were in civilian aircraft-- NW, United, ANA, and even China Airlines! China Airlines has the reputation of being the "unsafe" airline in Asia, but hey, I'm still live and kickin' after riding with them! The news media loves to grab peoples attention and work on their fears--it makes for great ratings and causes the people to do what "they" want. The fact is use common sense--most airlines are safe, but realize stuff happens...deal with it and accept it. No one can guarantee a safe flight, just like no one can guarantee if you go to sleep at night you will wake up in the morning...humans are humans...pilots make mistakes, aircraft mechanics make mistakes, Air Traffic Controllers make mistakes...a Boeing 777 pilot for United told me once on my way home on vacation...its OK to make a mistake, the key is to correct the mistake before it becomes a problem. Pretty smart guy. Bottom line, I think we all need to do a gut check before we board any aircraft--ask yourself do you want to accept this risk? If so, get on the plane and enjoy--don't worry about bad things happening--once those wheels leave the ground you are guaranteed to come down one way or another, but 9 times out of 10 it is what we pilots call a nice, controlled, smooth decent and landing. And if a crash is imminent, there's not much you can do anyway...try to control the aircraft as much as possible and ride it down and hope for the best...a controlled crash is better than an uncontrolled one. The loss of life on AA587 was probably due to an uncontrolled crash. A controlled one would most likely have yielded a few survivors. My deepest regrets to the families of the passengers and crew of that ill fated flight. But we should continue to help the airlines by flying on the aircraft and being vigilant and aware of everything and everyone around us while we travel as passengers. Have no fear of flying...but remember...you have to accept a relatively minimal risk...if you choose not to...then walk...or drive...or rail it, but it has risk too.
Best regards to my fellows aviators and enthusiats,
Cpl Carrick Dunn USMC
Okinawa,Japan

Tue Nov 13, 2001 6:49 pm

I think I would hesitate; at least for the moment ;to take an AA-flight if I had to travel shortly.

Now that said I´d prefer to wait until some light would´ve been shed on the cause of the Queens crash ,and then I ´ll eventually make my mind up.
But I think once this has been worked out,I´ll fly AA at any time unless they confirm that the accident yesterday has the same or a similiar cause than the 1979 Chicago O´hare DC-10 crash which reportedly was a direct consequence of ´unproperly ´executed maintenance works.
Now I honestly hope this would not be the case and as someone has already stated above this is not gonna change my personal view of aviation.

Regards,
Ganymed

TR

Tue Nov 13, 2001 6:52 pm

I´d fly American Airlines again any day!

Thomas

VirginA340

Wed Nov 14, 2001 2:50 pm

LV; amtrak from what I heard has another year or so to make a turn around. hopefully they'll get rid of the routes they don't need and go with profitable routes like intra California, NE Direct, Northeast service to Florida, Chicago-Oakland, Chicago to LA.

As far as AA goes I have no sypathy for that airline at all. Safety is quite a concern to me! It it because of their stupidity in hiring incompetant companies like Argenbright which is why thousands of innocent people including the 4 children on the 757 and a mother and her 2 year old daughter are dead! I don't give a damn on what syou nieve AA lovers think! Why don't you tell you comments to the fmailies who lost loved ones at the heart break hotel (ramada) @ JFK and we'll see who bitch slaps you first! Will it be the father who lost his 3 year old son or the mother that lost her twin boys! I hope manamgment will be replcaed becuase Carty is screwing up. It looks to me that Crandal has followed Juan T Tripps incompetance and is slowly but surely sending this airline into a grave by appointing the wrong man for the job.

AIRLINES ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR SECURITY!!!!!!! I blame Carty for lack of oversight on the security comapny at BOS and IAD for 9-11 and i've seen the screw ups at EWR and JFK. Half the time the morons don't pay attention to the screen during the carry on baggage checks! I've actually screamed at a few because they ovbiously had no clue and will never will! It's quite apparent when they don't ask people to open up the luggage when a suspicious items pops up on the screeen. Look for my thread on Argenbright in Chicago and you'll see what I mean.

Law enforcemnt should be running security at the airports not a bunch of young boy GIJOE wannabees with an M-16 you call the National Guard! I personally would like to see the NYPD or US Customs doing security at JFK and LGA and either US Customs or the NJ State Police running it because they have constantly proven that they can get the job done right!
"FUIMUS"