gopal

Turbo propellers

Sat Dec 05, 1998 5:16 am

How are turbo propellers different from piston engine driven propellers? The early aircraft used in WW-I were piston engined, I am sure. But were turbo props used in WW-II bombers like the B-29, B-17 etc? Piston engines were IC engines where reciprocating movement of the pistons was translated into circular movement by gears and other machinery. How are turbo props different? Would appreciate any information on the subject.

RE: Turbo propellers

Sat Dec 05, 1998 6:50 am

In a turboprop engine, the propeller is turned by the turbine to which it is linked. The connection is geared down quite a bit though cause the turbine is turning way too fast to be turning the propeller just as it is. Basically I'd say that the turboprop engine is just like a jet engine, except that the turbine is linked to a propellor which it turns.

Scott

Sat Dec 05, 1998 11:55 am

To answer about the B-29,B-17 Ect.,no,they were'nt turborpops,but they did have some big beautiful radials!Like MD-11 said, Turboprops basically are jet engines with a gear box reduction,where as the pistion engine had no gearing down.Something interesting about turboprops,is that they are almost always running at 100% power,and the only thing the pilot controls are the prop pitch levers.

Sun Dec 06, 1998 8:18 am

In WWII alot of the bombers were powered by radial engines.
These were the huge engines with as many as 24 cyls.
As far as the propeller, the only real differences I can see are that of course they are constant speed, they are usually bigger in diameter too.
Usually fully reversable. The blades are more stout also.
Most are featherable. Which is to say in case of an engine failure, the blade angle can be set to align itself with the relative wind causing much less drag.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos