Ironminds
Topic Author

Great Quote On Why Gov't Can't Do It All

Wed Nov 14, 2001 5:58 am

I just got my new copy of National Review in the mail, and while there isn't an online link to this piece, there's a great item by Mark Steyn on how, considering all the was government failed to prevent 9/11, more government isn't necessarily the answer:

"Th commercial airliner is an Al Gore dream. There is no smoking. THere is 100% gun control. You are obliged by law to do everything the cabin crew tells you to do, and if you don't there'll be officers waiting to arrest you when the plane lands. The justification for all this was the usual one - that in return for surrendering individual liberties, we'll all be collectively better off. On September 11, the FAA failed spectacularly to honor their end of the bargain -- as the terrorists know they would.

"And how's the FAA reacting? With more of the same kind of trivial, obtrusive, useless regulations that give you the comforting illusion that if they're regulating you, they must be regulating all the bad guys as well."

I thought this hit the nose on the head.

transswede

RE: Great Quote On Why Gov't Can't Do It All

Wed Nov 14, 2001 6:23 am

One would have to be spectacularly simple-minded to think that *LESS* government regulation of flying would have prevented 9/11, or provided better safety.

But then again, logic does not have to apply when one has an axe to grind, I suppose.

Or should the response for a hypothetical airliner bombing be to make it *easier* to put bombs on board?

Boeing757/767

Wed Nov 14, 2001 6:26 am

Nothing wrong with smoke-free, gun control environment.
Free-thinking, left-leaning secularist

heavymetal

Wed Nov 14, 2001 6:27 am

I've just sat through ten years of pontificating right-wingers playing the blame game. They proved precisely squat, except that they are brilliant examples of being part of the problem, not the solution. This article is no different.

RE: Ironminds...

Wed Nov 14, 2001 6:28 am

Thats a great quote, in your opinion.

727LOVER

Wed Nov 14, 2001 6:59 am

I just got my new copy of National Review in the mail

THAT SAYS IT ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Nuts
Love Trumps Hate